Warped Bones Minis

I have a few of the larger minis from the original Bones collection that are bent to the side and twisted a little - enough that I cannot mount them on a base.  Everything I have tried to straighten them has failed - the mini willhold the proper position for a bit, but over a few hours it will twist back out of position.  Is there a way to correct this that will not damage them?

Thanks

Ken 

I can provide some pics if it will help

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pics might help, as would information about the model in question. Generally, I immerse the figure in boiling water, then bend it into the shape I want and then hold it under cold running water or a bowl of ice water until it sets. I haven't had any problem with this method on ANY Bones, including Kaladrax.

I understand others have solved this problem by drilling out the limb in question and reinforcing it by inserting coathanger wire.

• Like 2

As long as they're not painted, you can just throw some water in an old pot (not one you're planning to cook food in), wait til it starts boiling and them put your Bones minis in it. You'll want to use something like a strainer to make sure they're not touching the bottom or sides. Then just boil them for a couple minutes (up to ten for the larger pieces like terrain)...

Once they're good and soft/bendy, fish them out of the water, reposition them the way you want them, and hold them that way while you submerge the mini in an ice-water bath, the colder the better. This will reset the plastic in the position you have it in. Once they're set in the position you want them in, put them in the freezer for awhile.

Then base or pin them as you want if you think it may still be necessary.

• Like 2

You can pretty much leave Bones in boiling water indefinitely - as long as they're not directly touching the bottom of the pot (and, ideally, the sides...) you should be fine.  The larger pieces I've boiled for 10-15 minutes to ensure they're evenly heated.

I honestly believe (from experience) that this is down to a few things. Likely the water wasn't hot enough, the mini wasn't left in the boiling water long enough, the 'setting water' wasn't cold enough, or the mini wasn't left in the cold water long enough.

From my experience, you need to leave even the thinnest minis in very hot/boiling water for at least a couple minutes (I've never seen even a thin mini (like a skeleton) damaged by it). Next, hold the mini in the correct pose for *at least* 30 seconds by hand in ice water (you can actually feel the plastic stiffen), then I let them sit in the bottom of the ice water bowl for at least another couple/few minutes.

Granted, I've had a small few that I've needed to give the treatment to 2-3 times, but that's usually down to impatience on my part.

I've yet to try huge pieces like the DDSII terrain, that, I guess, I'll have to let sit on the bottom of the pot.

• Like 3

Leave it in there a bit longer than you think you should, it won't hurt it.

Also, make sure you dip it in actual ice water while holding the bendy bit in the proper position. After the first second or so, you can probably actually feel a tiny...crackle? as the plastic resets. I can feel it, anyway. Kinda cool.

After 15-30 seconds you can stop holding the piece, but still leave it sitting in the bottom of the ice water bowl for a couple minutes.

• Like 1

I literally took my Pathfinder goblins and tossed then in a pot of water that was at a rolling boil and left them there for 15 minutes before fishing them out to put them in ice water. Absolutely no harm to them whatsoever.

Lately we've been learning that longer times are not harmful, and in fact help the figure avoid re-bending.

I literally took my Pathfinder goblins and tossed then in a pot of water that was at a rolling boil and left them there for 15 minutes before fishing them out to put them in ice water. Absolutely no harm to them whatsoever.

Lately we've been learning that longer times are not harmful, and in fact help the figure avoid re-bending.

This is good to know since I'm about to tackle DDS2... Just need to keep them off the bottom of the pan, right? Or doesn't that matter much?

• Like 1

This is good to know since I'm about to tackle DDS2... Just need to keep them off the bottom of the pan, right? Or doesn't that matter much?

the melting point is much higher than your pan will get, but if you want to worry about that, we won't stop you.