• Optionally enter a message with your report.

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

• By Pochi
      This was my entry for the quarterly contest. I decided to paint him as though he was in a cave with maybe some luminescent crystals or mushrooms. I love the sculpt and will probably eventually get another to paint "normally". Or maybe not since I have hundreds of other minis to paint!

• By Iridil
      This fellow has been lurking at the bottom of a drawer or box for over 30 years.... I finally painted him up. It was actually a bit irritating somehow... I guess that's why he sat in nothing more than a coat of primer and a red shield for so long! Not sure the maker, maybe citadel? He is on a metal part for the slot base that helpfully says 'orc'. All this time later, I love him just for nostalgia and remembering my dad painting up all those orcs... and we never used the minis in play!

• By vulture
      My stash will arrive today!
      I haven't done a WIP in a very long time , something I intend to remedy.
      I am extremely excited to get my hands on my contribution to Bones 5, the Whispering Ghoulsbane. Maybe more so than any prior piece I have made. Seeing as how I don't actually have the mini in had at this moment, Id thought I'd fill this space with some history about the concept.

I like to watch reviews for feedback on pieces I've made (and learned a lot).  A few review waffled on what the thing was, exactly. Part of me revels in this ambiguity -it is what you want it to be. That said it does have a mundane monster  origin story.......wait, say, lets make a game of it!

Which "old school" monster served as the primary inspiration for the Whispering Ghoulsbane? take a guess.

Wait wait wait! it's here, at this very moment! Delivery! let the prepping begin.
      Step 1: Open the bag.

That is all for now.
    • By R2ED
      Took a shot at the ol OSL. 

This model is from my youth that I'd always been afraid to paint because i didn't want to mess it up.  Years later, now I feel like my skills are better and it was worth a shot.  Not only did I take a shot, I did it with a real challenge applied to it.  I was either going to mess it up - or REALLY mess it up.  

BATTLE REPORT!

Wins:
      *  Using the colors red and purple seem very wizardly.  Felt like a strong combo and happy with it.
      *  The OSL I did was using a dry brush and sweeping it from the main source and only moving in that direction.  
      *  After the initial area had been 'zoned' I went in and brought up the colors further.  I had a difficult time identifying what would be lit or not.

Misses:
      *  The highlight on the face is way too much.  I wanted a light cast to it, but Iwasn't thinking like sitting in front of the sun.  Help.
      *  What colors to use for bringing up a light source?  I was thinking some kind of fire getting cast away.  I went Orange, Yellow, White, but only hitting white up close and fading to deeper colors farther from the source.
      *  The shading in the cape and undercape - I didn't do anything but feel it does need something.  Does it look strange without it?

If I were to base this one, I'm wondering how I can really knock this light effect out on the base, too.  I may end up just leaving this as is and thinking fondly of it as a first attempt at OSL.  I also think having taken a challenge piece from my childhood and honoring it with something fun to do in my adulthood felt...redeeming.  
    • By Metalchaos
      Hello everyone, now that the event is over, here are some more pictures of my entry in the 17th Quarterly contest. A big thanks to everybody that voted for me. This is a 77752, Female Minotaur sculpted by Jason Wiebe. It was a fun model to work on and I challenged myself painting object source lighting (OSL) on it. I made the fire with pieces of popsicle stick and Liquitex heavy gel medium.