Getting to Know Each Other --- August Edition

TGP

• Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Question the 26th of August:  What was the most recent movie you watched?

Thomas & Friends: Sodor's Legend of the Lost Treasure.

There is a Thomas movie? I knew it was a kid's show...

• Like 1

Question the 27th of August:  If you still have books, physical books... with **pages... what is the largest book in your collection?

Largest :: feel free to gauge "largest" by weight, physical size or number of pages...whichever seems most relevant.

5 sympathy quatloos if you have gone totally electronic and are bookless.

500 **bonus quatloos if you have a book with vellum pages.

• Like 4

Question the 27th of August:  If you still have books, physical books... with **pages... what is the largest book in your collection?

Largest :: feel free to gauge "largest" by weight, physical size or number of pages...whichever seems most relevant.

Offhand, I'd have to say it's the Ptolus Campaign Setting. At 670 pages, it's a lethal setting......literally. You could kill someone with that book.

• Like 2

My largest book set, is the Complete Works of Calvin in Hobbes, in Hardcover.  I think it is a 3 volume set.  Weighs a bloody ton.  Was one of my my favorite gifts from my brother, ever.

My largest single book, in size, is 75 Years of DC Comics: The Art of Modern Mythmaking by Paul Levitz.

And holy crap has it gone up in value.  I paid cover price for it January 2011 (published Nov 2010).  Even a used one has doubled in price.  New is like 3x price.   :huh:  Mine's so well cared for the binding still crackles when you open it.

Edited by Qwyksilver
  • Like 4

The largest book that I own (which currently resides at my parent's house) is a 1978 Random House Unabridged American Dictionary of the English Language. It weighs in at about 10-15 pounds, is about 10 inches x 14 inches x 8 inches thick, and is several thousand pages of onion-skin paper.

The largest book that I own that currently resides with me is a technical manual for our generators. It's about the same weight, 8.5 inch x 11 inch x 8 inches thick, on regular printer paper. If you combine both volumes (volume 2 contains the prints), you're looking at about 20 pounds, and 20 inches thick.

The largest book that any sane person would read (yes, I've read both the dictionary and the technical manual) is probably my B&N collectors' editions. I think either the Lewis Carroll one or the Jules Verne one is the thickest.

• Like 2

Hey, I've read dictionaries too!  Started off because my mom would never spell a word for me, and made me look it up, and then I'd find all kinds of cool words as I sounded stuff out. Then I got interested in etymology.  And I love learning new words.  Plus I love word games, especially Scrabble, WWF, etc.

One of my favorite comments from a friend, after playing Words With Friends:  "I would swear on a stack of Bibles that you cheat when you play and use of the the cheat sites, but I've played Scrabble with you in person, so I know the kind of crazy crap you manage to throw down on a board, and I've watched you not only tell me the word, what it means, but also the page on the Scrabble Dictionary you found it on."  I also, from memory, wrote down all the legal, 4th edition, 2-letter words for him once.

Reading dictionaries is fun!

• Like 6

Question the 27th of August: If you still have books, physical books... with **pages... what is the largest book in your collection?

Most pages: American Heritage College Dictionary, at 1660 pages. It's not even a very big dictionary.

Biggest single volume: The American Railroad Freight Car: From the Wood-Car Era to the Coming of Steel, 656 pages, 1.8" x 10.5" x 12.8", 8.2 lbs. It is a glorious reference, with many builder photos and reproduced construction drawings.

Biggest box set: The Complete Calvin and Hobbes, at 22 lbs.

Edited by Grumpy Cave Bear
  • Like 1

I used to get school assignments where we had to look up a list of 12? 20? words. And write out the meaning of each rephrased in our own words.

Those took hours. Because I would get lost in the dictionary. I would look up the synonym also. Then I would see a nearby illustration. Then I would read the definition that went with it, and then a related word on another page, and then... and then...

I would be at it for two hours and find I had only done eight words or so from the list.

• Like 6

Thomas & Friends: Sodor's Legend of the Lost Treasure.

There is a Thomas movie? I knew it was a kid's show...

More than one. Do not ever watch Thomas and the Magic Railroad.. It will literally make you feel stupider for having watched it. And it will make you angry, if you ever liked Thomas the Tank Engine at any time in your life.
  • Like 3

Divergent ( with my stepdaughters, somehow they feel a movie is no good if I'm not forced to watch it with them)

Question the 27th of August: If you still have books, physical books... with **pages... what is the largest book in in your collection?

I got almost everything from Tanith Lee

EDIT: oops the largest book..

Ehmm SHOGUN I Guess James Clavell

Edited by Xherman1964
  • Like 1

A couple of dictionaries

Most of the Wheel of Time series

Quite a few of Black Library's (publisher that does all of the books for GW's various settings) omnibuses--those are around 1000 pages each

RPG product--World's Largest Dungeon/World's Largest City

Offhand, I'd have to say it's the Ptolus Campaign Setting. At 670 pages, it's a lethal setting......literally. You could kill someone with that book.

I'm jealous; I wanted that but couldn't afford it when it came out and now it's stupidly expensive.

• Like 1