Sign in to follow this  
canuckotter

CAV: Strike Operations Construction Program

So when I'm looking at the website for CAV, it says you can download a program to print out data cards, even build your own. Problem is, when I try to download, it doesn't seem to want to work for me - it tells me it can't open the ZIP file.

Two questions: First, does that download work for anyone else?

Second: Is there any chance of getting the source for the application? I love to find ways to get technology to help take care of stuff for me, I'm guessing there's probably some neat features we could add to the tool (based on the theory that games & miniatures companies tend not to be focused on software development ::): ) and I'm really, really good at that stuff. (Development lead for a Windows-focused enterprise software company, plus a fair bit of Java and even web development experience.) 

Historically, Reaper has been very reluctant to release the points formulas which are presumably included in the source code. Not sure if the situation will be different with the new edition and Talon Games in charge.

The CAV Construction Program was built by Chris Lewis and Peter Reinhard. They are currently working on a force building app to add on to it. I will try to get them on here to answer more questions about it. The program is a windows based app and I would think once you get it to unzip (I'm checking now to make sure its not messed up on our end) everything is there that would let you see the "nuts and bolts" of it. The program takes the construction program right from the new rule book so nothing secret to hide.

With that being said it was just noticed the version on the website 1.5.5 is outdated and the current version is 1.6.7 and I will get it updated in just a bit.

One thing you will see change in upcoming versions is tweaks to the new manufacturers available for each faction. The Terran and Rach have been updated with the rest to follow later. One thing I'm working on is to make each alien race more unique to the their "alieness" rather the humanized versions they were in CAV 1 and 2 were we can. 

• Like 2

The CAV Construction Program was built by Chris Lewis and Peter Reinhard. They are currently working on a force building app to add on to it. I will try to get them on here to answer more questions about it. The program is a windows based app and I would think once you get it to unzip (I'm checking now to make sure its not messed up on our end) everything is there that would let you see the "nuts and bolts" of it. The program takes the construction program right from the new rule book so nothing secret to hide.

With that being said it was just noticed the version on the website 1.5.5 is outdated and the current version is 1.6.7 and I will get it updated in just a bit.

One thing you will see change in upcoming versions is tweaks to the new manufacturers available for each faction. The Terran and Rach have been updated with the rest to follow later. One thing I'm working on is to make each alien race more unique to the their "alieness" rather the humanized versions they were in CAV 1 and 2 were we can. 

Thanks for the info! I'm looking forward to checking it out. ::): 

So will this ever become available for non-windows users?

Only if someone that can code for that platform chooses to port the program over.

I'd be happy to help with a non-Windows version of the application... I would imagine that if we could do a Java version, we'd be able to quickly build it into an Android app too.

Any other code monkeys feel like working on this with me, starting in a month or two? ::): 

• Like 1

OK. The new build has been uploaded and I checked the download and unzip and it worked fine.

As to why its a windows only program is simply we built it to use in-house as a quick card builder and chose to release it for people that could use it to do so.

• Like 2

Since the card builder was initially in house, I can understand why the initial design was windows based if that is what you were using.

But now, if you are making it publicly available, and being able to custom build CAV is going to be a feature of the game.  You should really make this program as accessible as possible if you want the game to be successful.  Having a force builder is going to be even more useful to potential players, and since this is a new addition, building it as windows based seems short sighted.  

Telling us if we want it some other way we need to code one ourself is just alienating a target audience.  And there has been enough alienation already.

CAV has been through enough turmoil over the years.  If it is going to be successful it needs to be accessible to as many players as possible.  Making the tools accessible to as many players as possible will only help it.

• Like 5

CAV has been through enough turmoil over the years.  If it is going to be successful it needs to be accessible to as many players as possible.  Making the tools accessible to as many players as possible will only help it.

An iOS & Android app with all the data cards for the existing builds would probably go a long way too. Especially if you could have folders of "your Current Units" 

Just a thought. I'm not into App Development programming but it would be really cool. I would pay money for it! 

Edited by Arc 724

At no time did I tell you to go code one yourself, I simply said we were not going to do one other than the windows version and if someone else wants to, more power to them.. We are not a software developer. We make physical based games. We do not have the resources to make this program available in other OSs.

• Like 2