D&D birthday party

Tarsemina

Okay peeps, I'm in desperate need of help! And so I figured hey, why not ask ya'll. My Birthday is coming up on August 16th and I plan on themeing it somewhat D&D-ish. Yes, we will be playing a game that is similar to D&D. Anywho, I use the word planning because I'm pretty much out of ideas. Except all I have figured out so far is that we are going to play D&D-ish and I will give them each a figure to take home with them. But, other than that I've got nothing and am on a 40 dollar budget maybe less maybe a bit more. I already have all the figures but one. So, that won't suck up my budget. So, please, please help! Any ideas are good I may or may not utilize them but, it'll still get my brain working better. I've got six people and me. Yeah, I have no friends... Besides ya'll of course... And this is for teenagers not adults so keep that in mind. :)

• Like 2

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well first off you all have to meet in a tavern.  And then traditionally, there will be a bar fight and the tavern will burn down.

Oh, too much like DnD?  My bad.

Well, you can have people dress like for a Ren Faire.  Make up some card board or foam swords and shields.  Or you can make props for each person based upon the character they play. 

Eat without utensils.  Hmm, I think on it some more.  Oooooh, dragon pinata!

• Like 6

Cake shaped like a warhammer. Can't find the pictures right now, but a friend did this for my wife's birthday a few years back... Basically it's a standard cake, only you take a long slice of it for the handle and make sure you have two layers for the head. Mix icing of appropriate colours. Voila!

Get some cardboard tubes, tape 'em together, call them swords.

Find some twigs, maybe paint 'em up a bit, call them "magic wands".

If you have any ghost/ghoul/vampire/zombie/skeleton/etc stuff left over from hallowe'en decorations, use those scattered around as bad guys.

Take sheets of cardboard, cut out the shapes of a sword, a battle-axe, and a shield, then paint 'em up. (Using the cheapest paints you can get your hands on.) Find some way to stick them on the wall - blue tacky stuff, for example. Maybe make more "inn" decorations along the same lines (e.g. using grey construction paper, make fake tankards) and decorate your place to look like the inn that the adventure should start in.  ^_^

Basically, for $40, you're not likely to get something super intricate and sophisticated, so go ahead and enjoy the cheese factor of silly props & decorations. You could continue the theme by having a slightly cheesy, slightly silly adventure planned out.

Does any of that help?

• Like 3

Thanks guys but, we've already got a plan for the gaming. A pound of dice isn't a bad idea and, I'm pretty handy with a needle and thread so, dice bags will be a cinch. I'm not allowed to LARP and my friends are all somewhat close to the age of 15 so I think playing with foam swords and things might be a bit below them. However, I have a full arsenal of cloth covered "safety swords"  that I've made so, I've got that base covered. As for the cake, I'm allergic to dye so a majority of colored frosting is out. But, A Dragon cake would be awesome! My friends are not quite as geeky as I when it comes to DnD and things they love anime SPN and Doctor Who, not so much anything else. 

• Like 2

Friends of mine made me a castle cake for a birthday a few years ago. They said I could keep the excellent plastic trees and minis they used on the cake!

When I was cutting the cake, I realized they were MY trees and plastic figures... they'd pillaged my stuff for cake toppers!

• Like 15

Friends of mine made me a castle cake for a birthday a few years ago. They said I could keep the excellent plastic trees and minis they used on the cake!

When I was cutting the cake, I realized they were MY trees and plastic figures... they'd pillaged my stuff for cake toppers!

::D: Too funny!

• Like 3

My friends are not quite as geeky as I when it comes to DnD and things they love anime SPN and Doctor Who, not so much anything else. 

I had to look up SPN.  If my guess is right, that is the TV show Supernatural?

I was going to suggest serving food with a medieval or Ren Fest feel. Ren Fest probably easier to do. 

• Like 2

I think different "potions" would be in order, and quaffing one or two giving the player the described effects. I do understand the ages we are dealing with and your dye restriction. So, tomato juice, carrot juice, orange juice, and maybe a couple of more odd fruits like watermelon, cantaloupe, and strawberry.

Maybe some edible loot. Cutting up melons into jewels. Probably can't use the dyed chocolate candies, but maybe some regular chocolate ("rusty iron") coins. Large sugar crystals, rock candy, might work for a bag of diamonds.

If some candy or gelatin monsters could be whipped up, them they can be eaten once defeated.

Might have some volunteers around here to be voice actors for various NPCs, or overheard tavern conversations. Just load up some audio files in order of their module appearance.

Secret letters coded, and whoever decodes them first wins a magical item from the incantation on the scroll for the duration of the party. Maybe some other party games twisted about to be both slightly embarrassing but also yielding magical weapons to the winners.

That's about all my travel addled brain can think of right now. Will post more if I think of any.

• Like 6