Sign in to follow this  
Slendertroll

Bust: Brother of the Coast, Tortuga, 1668 (H&V)

This is a 1/12 scale bust from Heroes & Villains Miniatures. It's my first mini larger than 32mm, and is both very fun (lots of detail) and frustrating (lots of detail). I'm beyond impressed with the casting quality. There were no bubbles at all, and I could barely even tell where the seam on the mold was, there was so little flash/lines.

The face and skin are more or less completed, besides a few touch-ups around the edges. I wish I had gone with a much ruddier skintone; he's much too fair to have been out in the sun and salt all day, but it's too late now. Maybe he just got out of prison? I think the hair needs another highlight pass.

I'm inclined to call the coat nearly done, though I'm not sure if I want to hit one more highlight or even brighten the shadows a tad. The frayed edges need to be finished, too. I went for a complimentary Forest Green shadow on the red part, and I'm pretty pleased with it. The blending across the back turned out nice too. The leather strap is a WIP, but you can see what I'm going for, and I'm thinking about doing the bandana as red gingham checks, or maybe just stripes.

He has a hat,sword, and part of his bandanna as separate pieces, which I will attach last so they don't get in the way. I'm also saving the metals for the very end, and I'm not sure if I'm going to do TMM or NMM on those yet. There's also the possibility of a tattoo on one shoulder, though apparently Europeans (even sailors) did not know about tattoos yet at this point.

(Excuse my fingers; I don't have him on a proper base yet.)

post-8362-0-95500600-1438585584_thumb.jpgpost-8362-0-99935400-1438585593_thumb.jpgpost-8362-0-38173600-1438585587_thumb.jpgpost-8362-0-53874600-1438585590_thumb.jpgpost-8362-0-26927000-1438585577_thumb.jpgpost-8362-0-11379800-1438585597_thumb.jpgpost-8362-0-86014600-1438585582_thumb.jpg

Huge thanks as well to bailey03, his 54mm tutorial was invaluable.

I'm happy to hear critique; I'd rather hear it now than once it's too late.

Edited by Slendertroll
  • Like 20

Incredible. Great work.

If you take a look at The Pirate Empire blog spot, you can read about tattoo history and pirates.

Edited by Xherman1964
  • Like 2

Thanks guys! Anyone see any grievous issues I need to take care of?

Incredible. Great work.

If you take a look at The Pirate Empire blog spot, you can read about tattoo history and pirates.

That was actually one of the sites I looked at, and it says that Europeans first (aside from much earlier Celtic, etc. body art that had died out long ago) started tattooing themselves after Captain Cook's voyage to New Zealand and Polynesia in 1771. So if this guy is from 1668, there's no way he should have tattoos yet. But I may just decide to forgo historical accuracy for the rule of cool--both of the studio paintjobs did!

• Like 2

Thanks guys! Anyone see any grievous issues I need to take care of?

Incredible. Great work.

That was actually one of the sites I looked at, and it says that Europeans first (aside from much earlier Celtic, etc. body art that had died out long ago) started tattooing themselves after Captain Cook's voyage to New Zealand and Polynesia in 1771. So if this guy is from 1668, there's no way he should have tattoos yet. But I may just decide to forgo historical accuracy for the rule of cool--both of the studio paintjobs did!

On the other hand, caught criminals were sometimes branded. France used the Fleur de Lys for instance. Maybe this guy was a petty criminal, got branded ( paint excuse!)and got into piracy because with that brand he couldn't get a normal life..

• Like 2

Got some more work done on this guy; I think he's pretty close to being finished. At this point his hair needs detailing, his sword needs to get painted and attached, and finally I'll need to do the metallics, then I'll be done aside from whatever minor touch-ups become necessary. (Though I guess I'll also have to paint the base part black and maybe attach him to some sort of plinth? Anyone know a good source for that sort of thing? H&V sells them but I'd rather avoid shipping them from Spain if I can source them domestically.)

Again, forgive the photos; the colors turned out a little wonky. The colors are the most accurate in the first photo, the others are weirdly greenish or pinkish.

post-8362-0-51231100-1441578758_thumb.jpgpost-8362-0-44093800-1441578761_thumb.jpgpost-8362-0-97627100-1441578759_thumb.jpgpost-8362-0-35060300-1441578756_thumb.jpg

Please let me know if you have any critiques! I'd much rather hear it now while I have a chance to fix it and improve than after I've moved on to another project!

Edited by Slendertroll
  • Like 7