Sign in to follow this  
Slendertroll

Bust: Brother of the Coast, Tortuga, 1668 (H&V)

This is a 1/12 scale bust from Heroes & Villains Miniatures. It's my first mini larger than 32mm, and is both very fun (lots of detail) and frustrating (lots of detail). I'm beyond impressed with the casting quality. There were no bubbles at all, and I could barely even tell where the seam on the mold was, there was so little flash/lines.

The face and skin are more or less completed, besides a few touch-ups around the edges. I wish I had gone with a much ruddier skintone; he's much too fair to have been out in the sun and salt all day, but it's too late now. Maybe he just got out of prison? I think the hair needs another highlight pass.

I'm inclined to call the coat nearly done, though I'm not sure if I want to hit one more highlight or even brighten the shadows a tad. The frayed edges need to be finished, too. I went for a complimentary Forest Green shadow on the red part, and I'm pretty pleased with it. The blending across the back turned out nice too. The leather strap is a WIP, but you can see what I'm going for, and I'm thinking about doing the bandana as red gingham checks, or maybe just stripes.

He has a hat,sword, and part of his bandanna as separate pieces, which I will attach last so they don't get in the way. I'm also saving the metals for the very end, and I'm not sure if I'm going to do TMM or NMM on those yet. There's also the possibility of a tattoo on one shoulder, though apparently Europeans (even sailors) did not know about tattoos yet at this point.

(Excuse my fingers; I don't have him on a proper base yet.)

post-8362-0-95500600-1438585584_thumb.jpgpost-8362-0-99935400-1438585593_thumb.jpgpost-8362-0-38173600-1438585587_thumb.jpgpost-8362-0-53874600-1438585590_thumb.jpgpost-8362-0-26927000-1438585577_thumb.jpgpost-8362-0-11379800-1438585597_thumb.jpgpost-8362-0-86014600-1438585582_thumb.jpg

Huge thanks as well to bailey03, his 54mm tutorial was invaluable.

I'm happy to hear critique; I'd rather hear it now than once it's too late.

Edited by Slendertroll
  • Like 20

Incredible. Great work.

If you take a look at The Pirate Empire blog spot, you can read about tattoo history and pirates.

Edited by Xherman1964
  • Like 2

Thanks guys! Anyone see any grievous issues I need to take care of?

Incredible. Great work.

If you take a look at The Pirate Empire blog spot, you can read about tattoo history and pirates.

That was actually one of the sites I looked at, and it says that Europeans first (aside from much earlier Celtic, etc. body art that had died out long ago) started tattooing themselves after Captain Cook's voyage to New Zealand and Polynesia in 1771. So if this guy is from 1668, there's no way he should have tattoos yet. But I may just decide to forgo historical accuracy for the rule of cool--both of the studio paintjobs did!

• Like 2

Thanks guys! Anyone see any grievous issues I need to take care of?

Incredible. Great work.

That was actually one of the sites I looked at, and it says that Europeans first (aside from much earlier Celtic, etc. body art that had died out long ago) started tattooing themselves after Captain Cook's voyage to New Zealand and Polynesia in 1771. So if this guy is from 1668, there's no way he should have tattoos yet. But I may just decide to forgo historical accuracy for the rule of cool--both of the studio paintjobs did!

On the other hand, caught criminals were sometimes branded. France used the Fleur de Lys for instance. Maybe this guy was a petty criminal, got branded ( paint excuse!)and got into piracy because with that brand he couldn't get a normal life..

• Like 2

Got some more work done on this guy; I think he's pretty close to being finished. At this point his hair needs detailing, his sword needs to get painted and attached, and finally I'll need to do the metallics, then I'll be done aside from whatever minor touch-ups become necessary. (Though I guess I'll also have to paint the base part black and maybe attach him to some sort of plinth? Anyone know a good source for that sort of thing? H&V sells them but I'd rather avoid shipping them from Spain if I can source them domestically.)

Again, forgive the photos; the colors turned out a little wonky. The colors are the most accurate in the first photo, the others are weirdly greenish or pinkish.

post-8362-0-51231100-1441578758_thumb.jpgpost-8362-0-44093800-1441578761_thumb.jpgpost-8362-0-97627100-1441578759_thumb.jpgpost-8362-0-35060300-1441578756_thumb.jpg

Please let me know if you have any critiques! I'd much rather hear it now while I have a chance to fix it and improve than after I've moved on to another project!

Edited by Slendertroll
  • Like 7

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By SamuraiJack
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/squidmar/squidmar-kolinsky-miniature-paintbrush

Story
      In Squidmar Miniatures paintbrushes, the insight of accomplished painters, impeccable production quality, luxurious aesthetics and the finest Kolinsky Sable are all brought together to create an experience which combines style, comfort and practicality in equal measure.
        Our brushes feature a wide body (AKA the “belly”) while maintaining a sharp point. This allows a Squidmar Miniatures brush to hold more paint in its bristles without losing its point, and lends it the stability and elasticity needed to make the brush feel properly responsive to your movements. Additionally, this design allows you to use a larger brush than you might have normally to accomplish even finer details! The Tobolski Kolinsky hair is compared to Synthetics well rounded and great at keeping its original shape. Giving you a longer working time during paint jobs and lasts you longer keeping the tip pristine even after working on big projects for longer times.
      Squidmar Brushes - Size Comparison - Equivalent of approximately 00-2 (differs from brand to brand) Our basic brush set contains four Squidmar Miniatures brushes, ranging from XS to L. We chose these four because we feel they represent the most common, and best suited, brush sizes for miniature painting. In addition to our basic set, however, we've also designed a tiny brush, for the finest of details, and an XL brush for heavy duty paint jobs! Armed with a full set of Squidmar Miniatures brushes, you'll be ready to take on any painting project! No wargaming army is too massive, no immaculately detailed display miniature too exquisite!
      The brushes, from Tiny to Extra Large! Wow, those are some cool ferrules! Not only are the brushes wider, so are the handles! They are designed for comfort and ergonomics, adapted to the anatomy of the human hand.  The handles of Squidmar Miniatures brushes are therefore thicker and slightly triangular. This allows the brush to rest naturally in your hand, which lets you relax and focus on painting without risking the dreaded “painter’s cramp”. Oh, and did we mention the fancy gold ferrule? We thought it’d look cooler that way.
      Your brushes are the safest when they're guarded by an antediluvian squid-being! Our brushes ship in a sleek cylindrical storage case. The bottom of the case is lined with a dense storage foam to stick the brushes into. This allows a Squidmar Miniatures brush to rest standing up, and avoids having any pressure placed on the bristles themselves. An open storage case additionally serves as a handy paintbrush stand while sitting at your workstation, your entire collection standing at attention! Handy, right?
      Cool and practical in equal measure!   Not only are we Kickstarting world-class paintbrushes, we're also introducing a line of exquisite miniature busts, custom sculpted for our campaign! Each bust is incredibly detailed, imaginatively designed, and bursting with character - sculpted by such renowned artists as Joaqin Palacios and Leonardo Escobar Quintero! There are 5 of these resin cast miniatures in total at 1/10 scale, ranging from 6.5 centimeters to as large as 10 centimeters. The retail cost of these never-before seen miniatures will range from 45€ to 55€, but all will be exclusively available for 40€ each through this Kickstarter, or even cheaper when purchased in a bundle!
      These fantastic miniature busts are specifically designed to help you become a better painter, sculpted to enable you to practice (and master!) painting everything from warm, rugged skin to cold, gleaming metal! Don't worry, though, we're here to guide you through it. Each bust is accompanied by a YouTube video painting guide where expert painters demonstrate advanced techniques, made simple!
      Squidmar's Boxart of Illonth Magic in the making! The Squidmar Miniatures paintbrushes are hand-crafted to exacting specifications by experienced professionals, using only the highest quality materials and the finest Kolinsky Sable hair. The union of comfort and practicality in each brush is perfect for experienced painters working to master their craft, beginners who are brand new to miniature painting, and everyone in between! 
      This Kickstarter is a great opportunity to not only grab a set of fantastic paintbrushes but a set of beautiful miniature busts as well! These finely detailed miniature busts, bursting with character, will allow you to grow and develop as a painter. We'll be with you throughout your journey through our custom painting tutorials, where we'll do our best to guide you through a variety of advanced techniques.  
      Finally, a heartfelt thank you from our entire campaign for taking the time to read this, and we hope you pledge a contribution, no matter how small. Join us in our quest for the miniature paintbrush of our dreams!
    • By Dan S
      Apologies that this one isn't Reaper, but I am super stoked with how it turned out and really wanted to share.

I recently started experimenting with glazing, an old and popular technique I have been aware of for years but had never really given much thought to or attempted.  It was like unlocking an ancient magic, I cant believe the difference such a subtle technique has made to my miniatures.  After achieving some promising results on a batch of halflings I recently painted, I decided to experiment some more on a slightly larger model, a 3D printed bust I'd picked up on Ebay (I believe it is by a company called Tytantroll Miniatures).  

Anyway I just wanted to share.  Glazing has been a revelation to me, and it just goes to show that it sometimes pays to step away from your comfort zone and try new things.

• By Arutema
      Putting my new Photon through its paces printing some Heroforge sculpts.

The halfling operative is actually a mash-up of two Heroforge sculpts in Tinkercad. (Why can't Heroforge let you have just a single cyberarm?)

Didn't think to photograph her till I had the primer on:

The first print of the gnome solarion didn't have enough supports on the arm with the fireball, so after cleaning the resulting lump out of the vat and trying again with more supports, here she is, supports and all:

• By outsiderminiatures
      Quick paint job on this fun little bust! 

Painted entirely with Pro Acryl paints from Monument Hobbies

• By Brindelwald Miniatures
      Hi everyone,

Firstly I´m pleasured to take part of this forumm . My name is Alvaro Gonzalez and Im a spanish miniatures sculptor, for last year I have been sculpting some miniatures and the time has come to pre lunch my first kickstarter campaign that I will launch in two weeks around.

This deal with 32mm scale (23mm tall to eyesline) resin fantasy miniatures for wargames, collectors and painting. It will be a small project of 9 dwarves miniatures.

It would be great having the support of this community for carrying on my brand.

You can keep posted about news in our facebook , I will post news every week.

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/Games-Toys/Brindelwald...
      instagram.com/brindelwaldminiatures/
      I show you a small sample. Thank you.

• Who's Online   23 Members, 0 Anonymous, 61 Guests (See full list)