So this weekend I got together with my High School gaming group (like we do once or twice a year) and introduced them to 5th edition.  Evidently it went really well and they immediately wanted to continue the game.  Unfortunately we are about 2 hours apart so our face to face time is somewhat limited. 

I remember during various Forumites mentioning that they use virtual tabletops and wanted to get everyone's opinions.  My overly analytical and opinioned friend Ron did some preliminary searching and came up with the following:

http://techraptor.net/content/wotc-shuts-online-character-generators Sadly, WotC appears to still be idiotic about fan support.

http://www.mundangerous.com/2015/04/future-virtual-tabletop-fantasy-grounds-roll-20-dnd-5e/

http://www.mundangerous.com/2015/07/review-dungeons-dragons-and-fantasy-grounds-a-happy-medium/

Looks like currently, only option for integrated 5e support is Fantasy Grounds, but it's expensive to DM. And even clients are $30/ea...

Fantasy Grounds is on sale, 25% off ultimate because of Gen Con right now, though.

Poking around at free roll20 I'm not too impressed, but apparently you need to buy tokens [virtual minis] to be able to do anything like create a character...

roll20 looks a lot less free than many claim, particularly for DMs. I think longterm, even fantasy grounds ultimate is likely to be cheaper than a monthly subscription of up to $10/mo, plus $5-6 per pack of tokens and more for maps & modules...

Fantasy Grounds demo seems a bit clunky, but I can't tell if the problem is due to things being disabled because it's a demo...

rptools Maptools apparently originated virtual table-handled lighting, and appears to be free, but no new features in last year or two.

PCGen is popular for creating/managing characters [java-based]. May be useful if we go with Fantasy Grounds and it does work like the demo...]
There's also GMGen for gamemasters.

Dundjinni is apparently very easy for DMs wanting nice maps but not inclined to learn photoshop/gimp, and much cheaper than photoshop.

I'm wanting to know what you use, how easy it is to use (both from a player and GM perspective), things you like/dislike and so forth.  If I can find a system that works, I may be able to run a weekly game again.  If you use something other than Roll20 or Fantasy Grounds, feel free to talk about that.  Any other links to well written reviews are also welcome.

Thanks in advance for what I'm sure will be some great information.

3D Virtual Tabletop is a touch-based program available through iTunes and Play Store.  No linky but easily googled.

• Like 1

We use roll20 and it works fine for 4E.  I don't think our GM spent anything on it.  The chat and video feature are handy.  We didn't care much for pretty maps.

• Like 1

Honestly I used Roll20 for over year without paying. I made my own tokens. Uploaded them and the maps I wanted to use. I find its more personal taste for the virtual tables.

Once we got over setting it all up it was fairly easy since the players just set up macros to use quickly. I would go in and set upload the maps and and tokens for the enemies. I generally would load the map on the map level and then use the token level to pre load all the tokens and monsters on there. My only complaints at the time was sometimes we could not access everything if it was weeks or months between games. Otherwise it generally went smoothly for me.

I used a token creator I found on RP Tools and used it to make my own tokens quickly.

• Like 2

The part of the Roll20 interface you need to play a game is free to use (they do show ads). I've GMed one Pathfinder Society scenerio and played one scenerio on it. I provided my own maps and tokens. It's usable. If you don't want spent money you need to spent time to create the assets you want or download someone else's. Roll20 allows you to import maps, tokens, and other pictures. If you are running a large open world campaign with it, you may run into asset space issues (100 MB max space with 5 MB limit on file size) with the free version. A more linear campaign doesn't seem like it will have any problems as long as you are willing to delete old dungeons.

Roll20 wasn't as smooth as I'd like, but it's not too bad. I can't image spending $5/mo for it though, or even $50 a year unless I played several times a month. And I also am not interested in buying their tokens as they aren't to my taste. Some of the maps look neat, but I doubt I can import them to another program which is no go for me. I haven't tried any other virtual tabletop yet, so I can't compare it to the other options.

If you are playing the D&D5 hardcover campaigns, there are map files for sale on the map artist's site. (I do not know if that is all the maps in the book.) This may or may not be of interest depending on if you are willing to spend the money, but they aren't linked to a specific program.

• Like 1

We're using roll20, no money spent so far, of which I know, and really liking it. For 5e. Simple and effective.

• Like 1

I ran homebrew. Mostly when I was done with a map I removed it to make space and as they climbed in levels I removed low-level creatures. Only things that remained were the things that were campaign constants that the players would be going to constantly. For a city likely it would be their main hangouts or places they frequent a lot that you need a layout for.

Everything else was kept in a folder on my computer for use re-upload if they indicated they were heading back to a place I had a map for.

• Like 1

I've used RPTools in the past for a campaign.  My biggest issue was that I'm a fly by the seat of the pants GM, and having to create all the assets in advance really, really drained me and my enthusiasm for the campaign, so I ended it after about 2 years. 

One of my former players and I are going to experiment with Hangouts and Roll20 on Wednesday to see if we can resolve those issues. I purchased another webcam which I'm mounting above my game table, so I can use a Chessex mat and regular minis - all we'll be using Roll20 for is character sheets and the rolls. 

Roll 20 isn't likely going to work well for that purpose.  The video feeds are really small windows at the bottom of your map page.  Unless you're playing on a huge monitor, you're not likely going to be seeing the detail on the map.  It's primarily used for simple video chat.

• Like 1

Roll 20 isn't likely going to work well for that purpose. The video feeds are really small windows at the bottom of your map page. Unless you're playing on a huge monitor, you're not likely going to be seeing the detail on the map. It's primarily used for simple video chat.

I think that you can select one screen to watch full sized instead of many small screens.

Roll20 with Google Hangouts is what I use for when I go internet based as well.