knarthex

Ral Partha- Takhisis: Queen of Darkness 1926 of 5000

I will not yet be suckered into doing a dragon...

I will not...

But I will watch this.

Edited by Kheprera
  • Like 5

On 8/6/2015 at 10:56 PM, tiniest rhombus said:

Pulls up a comfy chair, starts popping the corn, waits for the show to start. :-)

Show started!

Cut to scene-   Man wearing an opti-visor, hunched over in a chair in front of 3 BRIGHT lites. He mutters to himself as he applies needle files to something he holds in his hand...

18 pieces to clean, and some are baaaaaaaad....

(you talking again? my belly needs rubbing!)

8)

George

Edited by knarthex
  • Like 9

I will not yet be suckered into doing a dragon...

I will not...

But I will watch this.

I have 3 finished Dragons. The AD&D Black Dragon, which is pretty big. 2 Grenadier White Dragons from the "Dragon of the Month Club" but they are plenty small.

I also have the Grenadier Shire Dragon, Green Dragon, and Brass Dragon II in boxes....

Found DDS 2 cheap the other day, It should be here in a week. Got all the Dragons from KSIII except the devil one, but they wont be here for a year....

I am not feeling pressured to do this by any dead line except 1916, so there might be long periods of time in between posts.

It is also going to help me push myself both in brush painting, and airbrush work. Unlike a certain cursed goblin, (HI BUGLIPS!) I am not into pain and suffering by limiting my tools!

Also, I kind of have a life :wacko:

8)

George

• Like 9

Oh yeah! Go George go!

I just had a horrible vision of a Barbarian in a loin cloth raging with pom poms.....

8)

George

• Like 12

Oh yeah! Go George go!

I just had a horrible vision of a Barbarian in a loin cloth raging with pom poms.....

8)

George

BWAHAHAHAHAHAH!

*tries to be sneaky as he puts his pom poms away*

• Like 6

Just tackle it one bit at a time - set lots of small goals for yourself and make sure you schedule regular amounts of time every day to work on it.

• Like 4

It's harder than it looks.

#2406 says hello.

edit: This *particular* dragon, I mean. Logically it shouldn't be any worse than Kaladrax, or the dragon from DDS2. That one was a puppy next to Takhisis. It's... a surprising amount of evil in a relatively small package.

Hope your fit is better. Of course, with enough will you can do it. I just failed my save and buried the shame where I don't have to see it. Or think about it.

Edited by buglips*the*goblin
  • Like 10

Very good, go for it I say!!!

We'll cheer you on and give helpful comments and threats where needed.

NOW PAINT!!!

• Like 4

Woo!

Don't worry ;D dragons aren't as hard to paint as they look. Human sized figures a a lot scarier

seconded.  it's just large that is not the same as more difficult

• Like 4

Just tackle it one bit at a time - set lots of small goals for yourself and make sure you schedule regular amounts of time every day to work on it.

That's the plan! Maybe clean / prep on piece a day in between other painting projects, then set on holders etc

Woo!

Don't worry ;D dragons aren't as hard to paint as they look. Human sized figures a a lot scarier

Wish I lived near you! I'd give you all the big stuff and do your small stuff!

'Course, I'd get by far, the better end of that deal!

It's harder than it looks.

#2406 says hello.

edit: This *particular* dragon, I mean. Logically it shouldn't be any worse than Kaladrax, or the dragon from DDS2. That one was a puppy next to Takhisis. It's... a surprising amount of evil in a relatively small package.

Hope your fit is better. Of course, with enough will you can do it. I just failed my save and buried the shame where I don't have to see it. Or think about it.

LOL!

Don't I wish!

I was test fitting pieces as I cleaned them, just to see how good / bad they were, and I was /am APALLED at how poorly things fit together! I am not sure yet if more cleaning with the dremel will help some pieces, like the tail to body join, or if I am going to need to buy out a green stuff company...

Thank all that is Great Gods for Dremel!

I was also very surprised at how badly the molds were fitted in places. there must have been a 1/16th inch (2mm?) rim around the base disk from mis-match. The belly plate had / has some pretty bad lines across the scales, as well as a lip all the way around. Did 2406 have this too? Will do a close up pick tonight when I get home.

Have not seen so poor a matching of parts since I saw the old Ral Partha Imperial Dragon a friend had back in the day...

Most of the rest seems to be normal size lines, vents and feeders, at least so far.

Some of the horns and such are SHARP. (I guess she demands a blood sacrifice so as to not get more cranky...)

From your experiance, what is going to be the best way to mount the wings for painting? The rest of the stuff will likely go on different size nails driven through pieces of board, kind of like what you did with the heads, from the pics any way. I am also thinking 2 body parts, arms, and tail together as a unit for painting, Thoughts?

I am also not the best sculptor in the world, so I am wondering what people think of this idea:

Paint Necks & heads individually. When finished attach to each other. Paint wings seperately. paint main body with base coats and some layering, washing, drybrushing.

Put everything to gether with pins, glue, green stuff and sacrifices to the Gods.

Try to blend it all together and finish.

Thinking about giving the wings more of a curve, they look a little strange being so flat.

Anyone have a good technique for doing this?

Another question. The lead has 'brown' patches in places, almost like an oxidation. Been a long time since I have seen this on a mini, and am wondering if I need to worry about it for primer adhesion...

And since I am considering insanity anyway, does anyone have a sugestion for a mini to use as the Lady chained up in the artwork? I might try to do the art work into a diorama...

Her name is / was Kitara, or something like that, I think....

8)

George

ps And Buglips, you cannot really kill a Goddess when she is not on her home plane, she will start speaking to tou again, demanding Goblin Blood, Sweat, and Tears.

Or would that be Greenstuff, Glue, and Paint?

Edited by knarthex
  • Like 7