I was given this mini by a friend, and have decided it is time to get it painted.

I have discovered what many of you have hinted at...PREP time takes longer the

more experienced you are.  I too roll my eyes at mold lines, mutter under my breath

about slag, and flashings left on the mini !

She has been washed, and primed, and if I ever stop giggling, she will get painted.

My thinking is "An Ogress that thinks she is Marilynn Monroe", That thought alone makes

me laugh. 

Anywho;  here is a photo of the lovely lady !

post-12655-0-26839300-1438970577_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

BWAHAHAHAH! I was waiting for you to paint this piece up!

*snatches some popcorn and flops down to enjoy the show*

• Like 2

Oh, but she's lovely, ABSOLUTELY LOVELY...that's what started playing through my mind when I saw The Girl; it's from A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum. It is a BEAUTIFUL miniature; have FUN with it!

• Like 3

Thanks Everyone;

Nice to have friends rooting me on.

I just put a coat of black wash on the mini, and I'm overwhelmed by all the details.

Oh, I am going to have fun with this one.

The runt looks like he has a fur bow tie on, and all the details

on the Ogress are cracking me up... I see ruby red lipstick, and shocking blonde hair (like a wig),  or a orange brown hairdoo

on her.  Besides all the bracelets, and fabrics.  ROFL.

I'm making NO predictions on this one, but I can't wait to see what I do free hand in that mirror.. !

• Like 4

Maybe the one on the ground is broken with an image of her face frozen in it???

8)

George

• Like 3

Maybe the one on the ground is broken with an image of her face frozen in it???

8)

George

Thank You,

a Fantastic idea..gonna have to look at playing with that idea !

:rock:

• Like 2

If anyone can paint such a character it's you, Jay!  I'll be checking back to see how things turn out, but we are well past the point where I have any useful advice for you.  ^_^

• Like 3

If anyone can paint such a character it's you, Jay!  I'll be checking back to see how things turn out, but we are well past the point where I have any useful advice for you.  ^_^

LittleBluberry !

Thank you for such a sweet and wonderful comment.

I love when I get the "Off The Wall" characters.

Then I can toss the rules as I see them, play, and be silly.

The more I look at this mini, the more options I am  imagining.

I may just let the mini ferment in my mind for a bit, I want this to be outrageously silly.

Thanks again !

• Like 3

go jay go... and if you have any of that nice Breast Cancer Pink from reaper  I think the little tyke could use some!

Oh Yeah (Flaming Orange for the hair... Phyllis Diller style!!!)

:devil:

• Like 3

As I said, I am NOT rushing this one.

I'm allowing it to play around in my mind for a bit (feel sorry for the Ogress)..LOL

I did some black washing, and put in a touch of eyes, and then put a base skin coat on her.

This is by NO means the color that she will end up, I just need a base to work from.

It also gives me some contrast on the various elements that are to be painted.

Looks like she has some colorful warts on face too !

Any who; join me in chuckling, cause dang is this one a woot !

post-12655-0-38612000-1439130395_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-94981900-1439130395.jpg

Edited by Jasonator
  • Like 11

I've started adding colors to the miniature.

Some chocolate brown to the furs as an undercoat, some more color to the flesh tones, put the eyes back in.

(why can't we just paint a set of eyes ONLY once)!  Sheesh.

Took only a second to wipe them out.

Put an undercoat of cavalry Red on both Mirrors.

Dry brushed the furs.

Its showing some promise now.

post-12655-0-42945600-1439218406_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jasonator
  • Like 7

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Geoff Davis
      This is my diorama entry from Reapercon 2019 "Done and on to the next one".  It received silver in the diorama category and 2nd place Dark Sword Individual Figure.  The two figures are DSM7627 Female Ranger with Bow from Dark Sword Miniatures and 77189 Creature from the Blood Reef (Bones version) from Reaper Miniatures. 

My intention with this piece was to show a dynamic interaction between the two figures as compactly as possible and with a clear indication of the action, but with enough uncertainty in the details that the observer can be lead to many different interpretations of the story.  For example, did the creature just miss her with a claw attack, or is he clinging to the rock in dying desperation while she contemptuously uses him as a launch pad?  I went through many challenges with this figure (including crushing her in transport, breaking off her arm, crushing the bow and snapping off her leg at the ankle). 

Some of the detail work I did on this included:

cleaning out the quiver and sculpting new arrows
      re-sculpting her chest and back to be a wool dress (the original figure has a bare stomach and back)
      adding the taught bow string using monofilament fishing line
      changing her bracer so that the buckles are on the side away from the bow string
      carving up and adjusting the creature layer by layer until he fit exactly where I wanted him (this is why I chose the Bones version - I would have found it nearly impossible with a metal figure)

I am very grateful to Brice Cocanour who gave me a lot of advice on how to bring out the best look of the piece by adjusting the colour and value balance.  He was also kind enough to let me use some of his tools and his big container of water effects to fix some of the problems with the base.  Once again, I learned a ton from seeking help from the artists.  I also really appreciate the feedback I got from the judges.  As a first-timer at the MSP Open, I made some newbie mistakes that I will fix for next time, and as a long-time painter, I appreciated being told exactly where things were off so that I could reflect on them for future projects. 

The judges feedback was:  

They liked the tartan, the fabric texture and the colour choice.  Some of the lines on the tartan could be made cleaner.  One way to do this is to do the lines repeatedly with very thin paint.  Small mistakes are then harder to see, but the correct position of the line gets hit repeatedly making the  visual appearance of the lines neater.  Another suggestion was to map out the tartan pattern in light grey first before adding any colour.  Use pure white to make landmarks at the intersection points of the lines which are bright enough to show through the subsequent paint layers.  This helps to make the layout of the pattern more precise and less risky.  Because the pattern is laid out before any colour is added or a lot of work is put into highlights and shading, any mistakes in the layout can be corrected without having to do a lot of repair work.

Overall composition was good with the story being very clear with the construction being very tight and kept to the essentials (no wasted space and unnecessary features).

They liked the overall skin tone and highlight placement to focus attention on her face.  They pointed out where improvements were needed to some of the blends on the skin, specifically on her calf where some of the shadow, dirt and highlight blends are misaligned or too abrupt and not bright enough (her ankle for example needs to be a bit brighter).

The final surface texture of her skin could have been smoother. Suggestions for this included using brush-on sealer to smooth out flaws, paying close attention to cleanliness of the figure (eg large dust particles) and removing them as soon as they are found, then filling the craters and smoothing their edges, and glazing additional layers of the mid-tone to smooth out some of the edges of the blends. 

Clean up the water effects where they meet the base to give a crisper line between the action and the base. 

It was recommended to mount the diorama directly onto the wooden plinth if possible rather than on a gaming base attached to the top of the plinth. 

The judges scores were 3, 3 and 4 for 10/12 (Silver).
    • By joshuaslater
      These savages are on Kickstarter.  My first Kickstarter!  There are all kinds of add ons lurking in here too.  Thanks Reaper for providing this forum! 

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1648985407/rise-of-the-powrie?ref=creator_nav

• By Stonebred
      Here's a rabbit I'm working on. I still have a ways to go, but he's starting to take shape. 
      Feedback is always welcomed and appreciated. Thanks for taking a look!

• By Geoff Davis
      Female ranger with a bow from Dark Sword Miniatures.

• By Orlando_the_Technicoloured
      Statuesque Miniatures

Ok. We're all set. The Kickstarter launches on Tuesday! It's not a massively long campaign, so tell everyone! Your friends, your family, even your enemies - maybe they just need tiny metal toys in their lives and will forever more be much better people!

You'll be able to grab the full set of miniatures or choose from smaller sets in any combination. There will also be a very limited number of hand-finished (by me) sets just like the miniatures in the photos. The perfect labour-free gift for yourself or someone you love. Awwww.
  • Who's Online   24 Members, 2 Anonymous, 174 Guests (See full list)