Expanding my Undead Hordes

Xyphisternum

So I am super excited about the graveyard expansion for Bones 3 and it has inspired me to expand my undead horde.  I'm looking for more interesting miniatures to paint and display.  

I currently own a small Vampire Counts army for Warhammer Fantasy Battle but I really don't play games with them and prefer collecting and painting.  I have about 40 skeletons, 20 zombies, 10 grave guard, some zombie wolves, a corpse cart, a couple vampires, a varghulf, and Nagash.  (Nagash requires assembly and painting but I have him anyway!)  I want to assemble a graveyard scene where an undead army is massing for impending undeathly mischief.

I am interested in adding more skeletons, armored skeletons (both regiments and characters like death knights), necromancers, and interesting undead monstrosities.  A smattering of more incorporeal undead would be great too but I mostly want to focus on a core of skeletons with some larger undead beasties.  My current miniatures have a predominatly Gothic theme, though some of those Egyptian undead do really tempt me.  If I could find a way to visually unify the gothic and egyptian elements...  

Some of the Reaper Minis I intend to add are Ghoul Queen, Malek the Necromancer, Nethyrmaul, some of the Barrow Wights, and Captain Razig and some of his cronies and undead crab!  I would love hear any suggestions on other models you guys would recommend to add to my horde.  I love bones and things covered in bones but I'm a little picky when it comes to anatomy.  For example: GW Vampire Counts Skeletons are great but GW Tomb King Skeletons are wonky.  Also I would be interested in suggestions for mounts that might work well with some of the characters.  For example: The Ghoul Queen deserves mount worthy of her royal status, maybe something along the lines of an ornate palanquin carried by armed skeletal minions.  Maybe I'll just buy her a Coven Throne.    

Thanks!

• Like 3

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are particular about anatomy, I'm not sure what to recommend...

Mage knight 2.0 had a cool Skull Golem back in the day, might be worth tracking down.

Hot glue carefully squirted into cold water might be able to make ill defined spirits.

Mcfarlane toys had a really cool bone titan named Scourge.

Wargames Factory has skeletons box. 

I currently own a small Vampire Counts army for Warhammer Fantasy Battle but I really don't play games with them and prefer collecting and painting.

I would highly recommend the Mantic Skeletons from their Kings of War line, as they have a good level of quality and a lot of variety (plus extra bits).  Great if you're looking to build up regiments, or even separately base them for use in RPGs or the like.

Also, you may want to look into Kings of War as that game utilizes multi-basing.  If you primarily collect and enjoy the games, it's a great excuse to create mini-dioramas with your units.  I'm having fun building some goblin regiments, as it lets you create a sort of "swarm" or "horde" effect without having to worry about ranking up individual troops.

As far as incorporating disparate elements, if your army gets large enough it's easy enough to explain that as a coalition between two or more undead lords.  Maybe a mummy lord has decided to ally with a vampire lord in search of lost relics stolen from his tomb?

• Like 2

I'll second the idea of looking over Mantic's Undead line, they have some pretty cool stuff. Have you used Reaper's 'figure finder' on the main site to check out what they have? If not, you definitely need to go do that.

Also, please post some pictures; I, for one would love to see what you're working on.

• Like 1

Wow some great suggestions.  Thanks guys!

Dsmiles - So I looked at the chair that you recommended and I was inspired!  The Ghoul Queen lounging on a comfortable but slightly decaying throne gesturing lazily with one hand with a chalice of questionable red liquid in the other.  Her throne will be carried by skeletons and I was thinking that the Wargames Factory skeletons could be posed to carry the throne.  I would have an armored champion standing before her and skeleton servants surrounding the throne ready to attend their master.

Scorpio - I'm curious about learning more about glue ghosts but I wasn't able to find any examples.  Do you know of any examples.

Mad Jack - Adding some Skeleton Cavalry sounds like a great idea.  I missed out on Bones 2 but I did paint up some of the skeletons from Bones 2 for a client.  I really enjoyed painting them but since they are not poseable I don't think they'd have enough variety.

Magnus Mercury - The multi basing idea sounds like a lot of fun, especially the mini dioramas.  My GW skeletons are very orderly and rank and file and it would be nice to incorporate some lesser organized looking swarms of Mantic Skeletons.

Chaoswolf - I browse the Reaper miniature finder quite frequently and there's a bunch of models I intend to add.  Regretfully, my digital camera is broken so I cannot show off the models I already have painted until I can replace it.

Lt. Coldfire - Now that you mention it, the Bones 3 Graveyard Expansion comes with some pumpkin minions.  Gauntfield would look really good with them.

• Like 1

Dsmiles - So I looked at the chair that you recommended and I was inspired!  The Ghoul Queen lounging on a comfortable but slightly decaying throne gesturing lazily with one hand with a chalice of questionable red liquid in the other.  Her throne will be carried by skeletons and I was thinking that the Wargames Factory skeletons could be posed to carry the throne.  I would have an armored champion standing before her and skeleton servants surrounding the throne ready to attend their master.

Scorpio - I'm curious about learning more about glue ghosts but I wasn't able to find any examples.  Do you know of any examples.

Mad Jack - Adding some Skeleton Cavalry sounds like a great idea.  I missed out on Bones 2 but I did paint up some of the skeletons from Bones 2 for a client.  I really enjoyed painting them but since they are not poseable I don't think they'd have enough variety.

Magnus Mercury - The multi basing idea sounds like a lot of fun, especially the mini dioramas.  My GW skeletons are very orderly and rank and file and it would be nice to incorporate some lesser organized looking swarms of Mantic Skeletons.

Chaoswolf - I browse the Reaper miniature finder quite frequently and there's a bunch of models I intend to add.  Regretfully, my digital camera is broken so I cannot show off the models I already have painted until I can replace it.

Lt. Coldfire - Now that you mention it, the Bones 3 Graveyard Expansion comes with some pumpkin minions.  Gauntfield would look really good with them.

Re: posing Bones skeletons.  They're not modular per se, but Bonesium is very easily cut with a hobby knife or scalpel.  Then you'd be free to pose them at will.  I love that I can tweak (and do pretty much every figure) each one just enough to make it unique, or at least give a more dynamic pose.

• Like 1

Re: posing Bones skeletons.  They're not modular per se, but Bonesium is very easily cut with a hobby knife or scalpel.  Then you'd be free to pose them at will.  I love that I can tweak (and do pretty much every figure) each one just enough to make it unique, or at least give a more dynamic pose.

Try to get your hands on the vintage plastic citadel skeletons through ebay for instance. They are normal sized ( as opposed to the newer GW ones) and are great in detail

• Like 1

If I could find a way to visually unify the gothic and egyptian elements...  

They are undead. I wouldn't worry too much about a unifying theme..  The Gothic guys could have died in the cursed lands of the Egyptian themed dudes and risen to swell the hordes, or the mummies/skeletons could have been brought back to Gothic lands as plunder from ancient tombs and a necromancer raised them for his own nefarious purpose.

I guess I am trying to say don't overthink it too much, and use whatever you want!

Edited by Bloodhowl
  • Like 2

...or even that the egyptian ones are simply rather a lot older than the gothic ones, or vice versa. How about painting the one as really dry and yellowy ancient and the other as more freshly white bones?

If you want very anatomically correct plastic multipart skeletons, look at Wargames Factorys. (and the weapons/shields in that set are greek-like ancient a la the Harryhausen movie Jason and the Argonauts.

• Like 1

If I could find a way to visually unify the gothic and egyptian elements...  

They are undead. I wouldn't worry too much about a unifying theme..  

I guess I am trying to say don't overthink it too much, and use whatever you want!

Maybe, but if Xyphisternum is anything like me then having disparate units will drive him nuts unless he can come up with a plausible excuse for it... :lol:

The idea of the "gothic" skeletons being from tomb robbers or explorers (or even later settlers) is a neat one.  The only issue I see with that is that you might have to ensure the "gothic" characters are lower rank than the "Egyptian" characters.  If the "Egyptian" undead cursed the "gothic" undead, then it wouldn't make sense to have a "gothic" leader in charge of them all (though they could still be a hero or other kind of enforcer for the "Egyptian" undead leader).

• Like 1