A few Khador Privateer Press minis

Marsya

To hopefully keep me moving on these and of course for advice and inspiration I figured I would post a WIP. My goal is to at least finish Zerkova by the end of the month and I would also like to get a fair amount of work done on the Doom Reavers as well. I plan to hopefully paint Zerkova to a decent standard and the Doom Reavers may get a quickish paint job.

The good news is I painted the Doom Reavers before for a friend, actually that set convinced me to start a Khador army of my own. So I hope to keep moving with them but I just picked up Scale 75's flesh set and plan to experiment a bit. I love my Reaper Flesh paints and have grown quite used to using them but wanted  to see how Scale 75 compare. So if anyone is interested I hope to post some information on the differences and how I take to them.

Here is a group shot of the crew waiting for primer. 

post-5971-0-69679100-1439003564_thumb.jpg

(My stonehaven half orc cleric made his way to the prep table too, but I doubt will get paint on very soon)

And the work I managed tonight on Zerkova, just a cell phone picture so forgive the quality. Her face is just about finished. Her left eye will stay odd as it is magical. She is quite small for Privateer Press and has a lot of fiddly bits. 

post-5971-0-32522500-1439003862_thumb.jpg

Now for the hard part, to keep painting them and stay focused. Wish me luck.

• Like 16

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The minis look TERRIFIC; AND you're off to a SPLENDID start. Way back when War Machine was relatively new, I almost got a chance to paint up a Khador crew for a friend...almost. The prospect of all the reds & dark greens was exciting. I hope you find it so also. Have FUN with the painting et al; they'll be done before you know it!

• Like 1

Her face looks awesome!

I like PP's minis, but have never played the game. I'm looking forward to seeing how these come out.

You really should give it a try a small war band is all you need to have fun.

The minis look TERRIFIC; AND you're off to a SPLENDID start. Way back when War Machine was relatively new, I almost got a chance to paint up a Khador crew for a friend...almost. The prospect of all the reds & dark greens was exciting. I hope you find it so also. Have FUN with the painting et al; they'll be done before you know it!

Thank you I need the motivation to keep painting especially with all the red.

I made some progress today with Zerkova. After a solid 4 hours or so I managed to get her red pretty far along, I also painted her pants and started the areas that will be black or metallic. I still have a bit to do before I can attach her cloak piece which I intend to also be red. After I attach her cloak I will smooth the red all at once in hopes to make it  consistent across the mini.

post-5971-0-68291800-1439174972_thumb.jpg

post-5971-0-26891600-1439174986_thumb.jpg

Since I broke out the light box for photos her is a better closeup of her face as well. I may revisit her lips as the closeup makes them look a bit too large.

post-5971-0-41539000-1439174996_thumb.jpg

Are her boots beginning to read as a worn black or do they look gray? I was hoping for a worn out black look, I still have glazing to do on the black which should help it I think.

• Like 7

I am not reading gray on the boots.. so I would say black is what you achieved.   Some highlights (shiny spots) scattered here and there should help sell the worn out look.

Thanks I am happy they still read black, I'll plan on some finishing touches so I will try some shiny spots. I haven't had time the last few evenings to paint though.

Doing an excellent job, but I'm not in love with the new Zerkova sculpt. It's not as dynamic as the old one. I don't think I'll replace mine.

Thank you I agree I am not loving her sculpt, I put her off for far too long though and she was given to me so I needed to get some paint on her.

Ok I admit I haven't been terribly focused with these, but I did get some more work done on Zerkova. I managed to get enough painted that I felt comfortable enough attaching the piece of her cloak. I also started her metals and fur. I still have a long way to go until I am happy with her but I am happy I was able to finish her assembly. 

post-5971-0-73467200-1439743374_thumb.jpg

Thanks for all the comments so far and I hope to put at least some paint on her today.

• Like 5

I am seriously in love with the reds you're doing here. What are you using for shading?

For her reds I am using mainly P3 colors.

Colors used highest to lowest

P3 Khador Highlight with a tiny bit of Reaper's linen white mixed in

P3 Khador Highlight

P3 Khador Red

P3 Khador Red/Sanguine Base

P3 Sanguine base

P3 Sanguine base/ exile blue

P3 Exile blue and tiny bit of blue liner

The shadows will go the entire way down to Exile blue with a touch of Reaper's blue liner glazed in the recesses. Although right now there is very few areas that I did that to already. Mainly at this point the deepest shadow is a mix of Sanguine Base and Exile blue. 

To even out the red I use P3's Red Ink for the higher areas and then a mix of Red Ink, Turquoise Ink and tiny drop of blue liner thinned down to a glaze.

After glazing to even them out I will go back over the highlights to hopefully make the red pop a bit.

Lovely work on the model, any chance of a shot of the back?

Funny I didn't even realize I hadn't taken one. Here is one before I attached the cloak but there was still alot just in primer. 

post-5971-0-90619300-1439747833_thumb.jpg

I'll have to take one of the back even though the cloak is just primed mainly at this point, before I add more paint.

• Like 1

So after I painted some red hair on Dain Deepaxe yesterday I managed to put some paint to her cloak. This evening I decided to add some freehand to give that big flat area some jazz. (hopefully it works). I need to go back and tidy up a bit and add some high points to the freehand. I also basecoated the fur trim on the cloak as the primer really was throwing it off for me.

post-5971-0-37526100-1439863271_thumb.jpg

post-5971-0-72217200-1439863283_thumb.jpg

post-5971-0-87911600-1439863293_thumb.jpg

• Like 7