Sign in to follow this  
Gailbraithe

Frostgrave

I picked up Thaw of the Lich Lord, and immediately had to locate my Oswald the Overladen for the pack-rat soldier type.

I'm almost certain that they included that new soldier type solely for Oswald.

• Like 4

I was reading through it, and there are some... interesting terrain items needed for the scenarios. A 6" wheel, made of human bones, with people strapped to it? The river and boats should be fun to build...

I do kind of wish there were more pictures of tables set up for games, rather than just the more scenic style pics in the book.

• Like 4

I was thinking something like that too, though I've got a bag of old GW skeleton bits kicking around.... but still, a 6" circle has a circumference of almost 19 inches!!

Excellent!  What's your warband gonna be and how will you make the wheel of bones?

If only he had access to a plentiful supply of miniature bones... a boneyard if you will...

• Like 3

Excellent!  What's your warband gonna be and how will you make the wheel of bones?

I literally do not understand either half of your question.  I just came upstairs about 5 minutes before I posted it and was informed by Darryl that he, Kevin, and I will be starting in on the game this month. Darryl will give me instructions this weekend. 

The game is called Frostgrave, there is a wizard, and he's the character that levels as you have more games. That is the extent of my current knowledge. I have been encouraged to watch a YouTube channel by some Gorilla people.

Is this or Song of Blades and Heroes a better candidate for introductory gaming for adults that tend to not wargame/skirmish game?

What abiut kids? (And at what age do you think would work to start out?)

• Like 1

SoBH is pretty quick and easy to pick up; with the exception of special abilities, you wouldn't need to reference the rule book at all after your first game or two.

I don't have any firsthand experience with FrostGrave, but from what I've read about it online, I think SoBH would probably be the better intro.

That's not to say that Frostgrave is bad (I want to pick up the rules at some point), just that SoBH would be quicker to pick up and just start playing.

I've played both, and I'd say they are almost equal in complexity; each being easy and complex in differnt areas. SOBAH has lots of special abilities and few spells to deal with, and FG has many spells but few special abilities.

Either would be suitable for child who knows how to use a ruler and dice.

If the adults are coming from an RPG background, I might lean towards FG. It is a lot more oriented towards completing a task (recovering treasure) than it is straight up melee like SOBAH is.

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 1