Sign in to follow this  
Gailbraithe

Frostgrave

The orhe advantage Frostgrave has over SBH is that everything has a chance of acting each turn, where SBH use an activation roll mechanism. I find either works for me, but my older son is convinced that he always fails activation rolls, so it's a mechanic he really dislikes playing with. He's probably not the only one...

• Like 2

I picked up Thaw of the Lich Lord, and immediately had to locate my Oswald the Overladen for the pack-rat soldier type.

I'm almost certain that they included that new soldier type solely for Oswald.

I can neither confirm nor deny this. However, I always loved that figure. 

• Like 5

Anyone playing this game?  It just came out recently from Osprey, they of the beautifully illustrated guides to historical armies, and is part of a series of new games they are releasing.

Frostgrave is similiar to Mordhiem in that you create a warband, level them up through game play, and the whole game is set in a ruined city -- in this case, a city of permanent winter.  The big difference is that the leader of your warband is always a wizard, and only your wizard gains levels.  They have eight different schools of magic for your wizard, and he begins play with 8 spells, and can have an apprentice who casts the same spells.  The cool thing about the game is that you can use any models with it, and Reaper makes everything you could ever need -- in fact, the official line of Frostgrave minis, from Northstar Figures, is missing a lot of the units, so you'll practically have to turn to Reaper.

This is my warband:

vqxrE2v.jpg

You can have a maximum of 8 soldiers in your warband, plus your wizard and apprentice.  I have six because my wizard and apprentice can cast Animal Companion pre-game, which adds a summoned animal to your warband who takes up a soldier slot.

Going way back to the first post, sorry... What minis are these? At the very least, the ranger, thief, and apprentice?

• Like 1

The orhe advantage Frostgrave has over SBH is that everything has a chance of acting each turn, where SBH use an activation roll mechanism. I find either works for me, but my older son is convinced that he always fails activation rolls, so it's a mechanic he really dislikes playing with. He's probably not the only one...

Can you just cut out the activation roll from SBH?  Or did they do something with the point-costing where things that activate more reliably are worth more points or are less powerful?

Morihalda, they appear to all be Reaper:

The wizard is called, Anirion, Wood Elf Wizard

The Ranger is Nienna, Female Elf Ranger

The first Tracker is Arthrand Nightblade, Elf Ranger

The second Tracker is Arthal Nightblade, Elf Ranger

The Apprentice is Nonalla Ellinad, Elf Wizard

The Thief is Valloa, Female Elf Thief

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 2

Can you just cut out the activation roll from SBH?  Or did they do something with the point-costing where things that activate more reliably are worth more points or are less powerful?

Yes, the point cost is tied to the quality of the troop,and how high it's chances are to activate each turn.

The Apprentice is (03667) Nonalla Ellinad, Elf Wizard ($5.99) by Bob Ridolfi.
http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/wizard%20female/sku-down/03667

The Thief is (03566) Valloa, Female Elf Thief ($5.99) by Julie Guthrie.
http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/female%20elf%20thief/sku-down/03566

The Ranger is (77091) Nienna, Female Elf Ranger ($2.49) by Werner Klocke.
http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/female%20elf%20thief/sku-down/77091

Here's the link to the metal version (02909) for ($7.99).

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/Nienna,%20Female%20Elf%20Ranger/sku-down/02909

I believe the rest are also Reaper, especially the wizard and the painted Tracker.

EDIT: I type and link too slow!!!!

The two Hounds are from (02830) Wolf Pack (3) ($9.99) by Geoff Valley.
http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/wolf/sku-down/02830

The Ice Toad is (03464) Ice Toad ($6.99) by Jason Wiebe.
http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/ice%20toad/sku-down/03464

The Bear is (02878) Dire Bear ($15.99) by Geoff Valley.
http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/bear%20animal/sku-down/02878

The Wolf and Cat are from (03499) Animal Companions 2: Wolf, Cat, Spider ($9.99) by Various.
http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/animal%20companions/sku-down/03499

Edited by Brother Jim
  • Like 3

Yes, the point cost is tied to the quality of the troop,and how high it's chances are to activate each turn.

Ok.  So then if you're bothered by activation rolls, can't you just take troops that always activate?  Or does every troop have a small chance to not activate?  Sorry for asking a bunch of questions; I just don't have the game book yet.  It's on the xmas list though.

Thank you, Chris and Brother Jim!! They are beautiful minis!

I've been reading through bits of this thread because I seem to see Frostgrave mentioned so often. I don't have what's needed to play (time/space), but it does seem enjoyable! Maybe something in the future. ::):

• Like 3

Thank you, Chris and Brother Jim!! They are beautiful minis!

I've been reading through bits of this thread because I seem to see Frostgrave mentioned so often. I don't have what's needed to play (time/space), but it does seem enjoyable! Maybe something in the future. ::):

You're welcome!

I wouldn't discount playing Frostgrave completely. The recommended ideal two player space is only 3'x3', with the minimum allowable space being only 2' x 2'; witch is about the same size as most kitchen tables or coffee tables. As to time, I can certainly understand that, though a two player game will probably run less than two hours...the same time it takes to watch a movie. :-)

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 4

Ok.  So then if you're bothered by activation rolls, can't you just take troops that always activate?  Or does every troop have a small chance to not activate?  Sorry for asking a bunch of questions; I just don't have the game book yet.  It's on the xmas list though.

No problem with questions. :). Yes, you can play troops that have a high quality and almost guaranteed chance to activate, but that seriously limits your choices to a very few possibilities, which in my opinion would make the game get boring quickly.

• Like 1

...like I really needed another minis game...

If you, like most of us, have ... many twenty figures, you probably only need the book(s) in order to start.

And a good thing. Gives me motivation to finish the last two Kickstarters worth of painting...

• Like 4