Sign in to follow this  
Gailbraithe

Frostgrave

Bases from Bones monsters also work quite well - Dragons Don't Share2, Kaladrax, etc.  Also look at aquarium scenery.

ETA - Also look at wedding-cake pillars.  I got a few packs and went at them with a hacksaw for crumbled masonry and such.  Use cork to fill in the holes and then you can just paint them with MSP black ink/Brush-on sealer in a 1:1 mix, and a white drybrush if needed.  Run lines of superglue up the pillar and flock with something green for vines.

Edited by Froggy the Great
  • Like 7

Rock walls can be built of pebbles and small stones glued together. Right now, a lot of places have snowy Christmas trees for holiday villages on sale. They make good stands of trees. Larger rocks glued to bases can be boulders. I've made towers out of oatmeal and pringles containers, houses out of cardboard/foam board and such. Get some green scouring pads, cut them into strips, double up the strips and flock for easy hedges. Want some topiaries to go with your hedge maze? Get some cheapo toy animals and flock. Grave stones can be made from the ends of popsicle sticks, fences from skewers or matchsticks.

Plenty of ideas out there. Knock up some stuff quick and then as you have time, make nicer stuff. Heck, I uses to mark out dungeon walls with dice and Jenga blocks. Time enough to make stuff look pretty later.

• Like 5

Added to my x-mas wish list from my family. I'd never heard of it before these forums, and the excitement has me interested!

Amazon had it in stock; and they were/are? having a 25% any hardcopy book deal with code "25offbook" at the checkout.  You know for interested bargain hunters.

• Like 6

Bases from Bones monsters also work quite well - Dragons Don't Share2, Kaladrax, etc.  Also look at aquarium scenery.

ETA - Also look at wedding-cake pillars.  I got a few packs and went at them with a hacksaw for crumbled masonry and such.  Use cork to fill in the holes and then you can just paint them with MSP black ink/Brush-on sealer in a 1:1 mix, and a white drybrush if needed.  Run lines of superglue up the pillar and flock with something green for vines.

Thanks for all the suggestions.  The DDS2 terrain has been used in most KoW games at my house for a while and I think short of the Lovecraftian expansion, I've pretty much added every piece of terrain from the Bone 3 Kickstarter in the pledge manager.  Never considered the wedding cake pillars before and can't wait to try that one out.  Are they thick enough to stand a model on for statues?  

Rock walls can be built of pebbles and small stones glued together. Right now, a lot of places have snowy Christmas trees for holiday villages on sale. They make good stands of trees. Larger rocks glued to bases can be boulders. I've made towers out of oatmeal and pringles containers, houses out of cardboard/foam board and such. Get some green scouring pads, cut them into strips, double up the strips and flock for easy hedges. Want some topiaries to go with your hedge maze? Get some cheapo toy animals and flock. Grave stones can be made from the ends of popsicle sticks, fences from skewers or matchsticks.

Plenty of ideas out there. Knock up some stuff quick and then as you have time, make nicer stuff. Heck, I uses to mark out dungeon walls with dice and Jenga blocks. Time enough to make stuff look pretty later.

My first thought on those hedges was that they wouldn't work since Frostgrave is supposed to be a frozen city but then I remembered it's a frozen city with a history of magic so who's to say someone isn't going to walk around a snowy corner and find a lush and green neighborhood.  And I'm actually trying to figure out something with some Pringles cans I have.  The idea I want to run with right now is making a city wall using insulation foam and the Pringles cans as the towers.  
  • Like 4

Hmmm, quote doesn't work on this work computer. 

Anyways, you can make the hedge (evergreen) and dust it with snow.  Done.  I'm going to knock out a bunch of lengths to make a hedge maze.  I'm not going the snow route so it is more versatile and isn't locked into the snow motif.

Also, talked to the one of the guy at the shop where they play tabletop.  He admits to being intrigued by Frostgrave and wants a look at the rules if I get a copy before the store does.  So I may have an opponent(s).

• Like 4

At my local Michaels craft store, they had a lot of the Lemax snow-covered hedges left over, and all the Lemax stuff was marked 60% off.

• Like 2

Added to my x-mas wish list from my family. I'd never heard of it before these forums, and the excitement has me interested!

Amazon had it in stock; and they were/are? having a 25% any hardcopy book deal with code "25offbook" at the checkout.  You know for interested bargain hunters.

I failed my Will save at a cool book for $15. I bought it myself, it arrives today. :D

• Like 4

I failed my Will save at a cool book for $15. I bought it myself, it arrives today. :D

See young Icewalker, no one can resist the power of the Frost Side! :-)

Congrats, and welcome to the world of Frostgrave.

• Like 4

At my local Michaels craft store, they had a lot of the Lemax snow-covered hedges left over, and all the Lemax stuff was marked 60% off.

...yeah, I need to get down to Michaels this weekend...

• Like 3