Sign in to follow this  
Gailbraithe

Frostgrave

I got the core book today. I'll have to pick it up in a few days. I'm mostly going to be using existing paper craft terrain for a while but I'm excited to re-purpose a giant piece of foam that was used to ship a friend's painting. I basically have a "winter" tablecloth.

• Like 3

I'm currently making a witch warband. Some interesting things have suggested themselves. It appears that apprentices can cast pregame spells like their masters. So bree potion gives two chances at a demon bottle. Or two animal companions.

• Like 6

Played two games yesterday vs my daughters and one game today against both of them.  Loving the game so far.  We have just run the standard kill em all take the treasure scenario.

May have to try one of the specific ones soon.  Have to create the terrain first.  I need to pick up grey and white craft paint so I'm not "wasting" my MSPs on terrain.

• Like 5

Played two games yesterday vs my daughters and one game today against both of them.  Loving the game so far.  We have just run the standard kill em all take the treasure scenario.

May have to try one of the specific ones soon.  Have to create the terrain first.  I need to pick up grey and white craft paint so I'm not "wasting" my MSPs on terrain.

Yes, yes you do. I can't imagine using my mini paints on terrain... Heck, I didn't even use them on my DDS terrain! Way too expensive for that.

And glad you're enjoying the game! I've really got to get in another game soon. I wonder if my GF would be interested in playing... Hmm...

• Like 4

Yes, yes you do. I can't imagine using my mini paints on terrain... Heck, I didn't even use them on my DDS terrain! Way too expensive for that.

And glad you're enjoying the game! I've really got to get in another game soon. I wonder if my GF would be interested in playing... Hmm...

We need to see about setting up a day in January, or perhaps early February.

• Like 3

May I recommend Gamedecor's Paintworks terrain paint? I'm quite fond of them.
  • Like 1

You may.  I just bought some Folk Art Acrylics for 88 cents a bottle (-15% from my military discount) to use for now.  Anyone know if I should brown liner prime my DDS 2 terrain before painting?  That's a lot of liner.

• Like 2

I've been thinking about including a frozen pond to my layout.  I figure it will count as difficult terrain (half move).  I also want to have some sort of mechanic for creatures to fall through.  Maybe when a creature ends up on the ice at the end of it's activation, roll a d20.  On a 19-20 it falls through and dies.  Add +2 to the roll for large creatures.  Add +1 for each additional creature on the ice when the roll is made.

• Like 6

I've been thinking about including a frozen pond to my layout.  I figure it will count as difficult terrain (half move).  I also want to have some sort of mechanic for creatures to fall through.  Maybe when a creature ends up on the ice at the end of it's activation, roll a d20.  On a 19-20 it falls through and dies.  Add +2 to the roll for large creatures.  Add +1 for each additional creature on the ice when the roll is made.

Will regular soldiery and wizards be susceptible to falling through as well? Would be fun to do a Push spell on someone and see them sink through the ice. :)

You could also make falling trough a higher chance the further you get from the edge...

• Like 1

Yes.  I used creature but I suppose figure or model would be more appropriate.  I figure a 10% chance (20 if large) is enough.  Put a treasure out on the ice.  You have a good enough chance of surviving to risk a a soldier, but still it's possible to lose on.

One question I'm going to have to ask on the FB page is about if animals can carry treasure.  Warhounds specifically note that they can not carry items or treasure.  None of the other animals have that note.  So rules as written, a wolf or bear or ice toad or snow leopard (animal companions one and all) could carry treasure.  I personally would rule against it (except for White Gorillas if you managed to control one).  I'm just curious if there is an official answer.

• Like 4

Please let us know what you find out.

I could have sworn I had read in the rules that they couldn't, but I just went back through and looked, and I couldn't find any mention.

• Like 2

You may.  I just bought some Folk Art Acrylics for 88 cents a bottle (-15% from my military discount) to use for now.  Anyone know if I should brown liner prime my DDS 2 terrain before painting?  That's a lot of liner.

I have found that gesso works pretty well on just about everything (including Bones) that I've tried it on. You get a nice large jar of it for $15-20; I'm still using the one that I got about 4 years ago.

ETA--I meant to add that in answer to the primer part of your question, btw. You can also mix in some of those cheap craft paints to tint it a certain color if you wish. (The jar I have is white)

Edited by Chaoswolf
  • Like 1

Please let us know what you find out.

I could have sworn I had read in the rules that they couldn't, but I just went back through and looked, and I couldn't find any mention.

per the errata:

Picking Up Treasure –Constructs and Demons can pick up treasure. Undead can pick up treasure as

long as they are not Immaterial. Animals cannot pick up treasure. Treasure does not take up an item

slot. Carrying treasure and items have nothing to do with one another.

• Like 4