Gailbraithe

Frostgrave

Hey guys, Joseph McCullough, I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has tried out Frostgrave. One of the reasons I wrote the game is that I had been collecting reaper miniatures for years, but since I stopped playing rpgs, they were just gathering dust. I really wanted to get them out and have some fun throwing dice! 

Ekidog - I wanted the focus of the game to be on the wizards, so I didn't want any of the soldiers overshadowing them. That said, it is definitely an area I would like to expand upon - so keep an eye out for future supplements.

Chaos Wolf - I know some people have been playing the game solo. All of the monster use an simple AI system, so it with a bit of work it can be done. I haven't had the time to really experiment with this myself.

I agree that there might be an issue with shooty wizards pulling ahead of other types of wizards on experience. A lot of people have just dropped the experience for kills and upped the experience for spellcasting. I haven't quite made my mind up about this yet - maybe it's just my old D&D playing that makes me think 'You have to get experience for killing stuff!'. It's early days for the game, so I'm going to see how this goes. 

That said, I'm really happy for people to change stuff and introduce house rules. Whatever makes it most fun for them.

Gailbraithe - that is one fantastic looking warband you are assembling. In fact, I just painted up the elf you are using as a tracker myself - though my paint job isn't as good as yours. While running demos of Frostgrave at Historicon, I actually got to meet Bobby Jackson, who sculpted that figure, which was pretty darn cool (especially since I was using one of his wizard sculpts for a Necromancer in the demo!)

• Like 17

A few friends and I are playing Frostgrave here in central/north central Ohio.  We have had 3-5 games each and we are having a blast.  The mechanics are pretty simple but there is still a good bit of flexibility.  I am really enjoying the game, not to mention the terrain building opportunities..........

• Like 2

I'm all over this game as soon as the monthly hobby budget ticks over. I'm looking forward to the plastic cultists later in the year, too.

• Like 3

A few friends and I are playing Frostgrave here in central/north central Ohio.  We have had 3-5 games each and we are having a blast.  The mechanics are pretty simple but there is still a good bit of flexibility.  I am really enjoying the game, not to mention the terrain building opportunities..........

What?  I though you hated building terrain...

• Like 3

For those who might be interested, Osprey have commissioned me to write more material for Frostgrave - this will be coming next year:

20898180046_db00c20df3_o.jpg

With this new supplement for Frostgrave, players can lead their warbands into the vast network of catacombs, sewers, and dungeons that run underneath the Frozen City. It was in these dark confines that the ancient wizards known as Beastcrafters experimented on living creatures, creating strange hybrids and deadly monsters, many of which still roam the forgotten passageways. Along with a host of new scenarios, treasures, soldiers, and creatures, the book also contains rules for the traps and secret passages that are often found in the dungeons. With the wonderful and rare magical treasures to be discovered, will players risk taking their warbands down into the Breeding Pits?
  • Like 18

Why have I never heard of this game!? It sounds fun and I haven't even looked at it yet. :-) thanks for sharing your army Gailbrathe. The smallish size of the armies is very appealing, Ima check it out.

Guess what I just ordered.

Edited by tiniest rhombus
  • Like 3

Me and my kids (ages 11 and 8) have been playing it lately. I tried getting them into Mordheim earlier this year but we like the speed and simplicity of Frostgrave more. Less customisation on everybody but the wizard but that's ok. I gave most of the official Frostgrave minis I got to the boys and they've painted a few. For myself I went with Darkrasp as the wizard and the lady necromancer with scythe from Bones II as the apprentice. More basic soldiers are GW skellies, more advanced ones either Bones armoured skellies or kitbashes of various plastic sets I have with GW skulls. I'm working on about 20 or so minis to give me undead options for all levels of the warband. Once I get a bit more painted I'll be spamming several forums with photos. I think Frostgrave is a great game if you have limited space and want a lower mini count. The only negative in that regard is terrain. The more the better.

• Like 4

For those who might be interested, Osprey have commissioned me to write more material for Frostgrave - this will be coming next year:

With this new supplement for Frostgrave, players can lead their warbands into the vast network of catacombs, sewers, and dungeons that run underneath the Frozen City. It was in these dark confines that the ancient wizards known as Beastcrafters experimented on living creatures, creating strange hybrids and deadly monsters, many of which still roam the forgotten passageways. Along with a host of new scenarios, treasures, soldiers, and creatures, the book also contains rules for the traps and secret passages that are often found in the dungeons. With the wonderful and rare magical treasures to be discovered, will players risk taking their warbands down into the Breeding Pits?

This sounds awesome! Also sounds like a great opportunity to add some simple abilities to differentiate the soldiers a bit, hint, hint. :;):
  • Like 2

Why have I never heard of this game!? It sounds fun and I haven't even looked at it yet. :-) thanks for sharing your army Gailbrathe. The smallish size of the armies is very appealing, Ima check it out.

Probably because its still a very new game and the rules are coming from a source that most fantasy and sci/fi players don't think about; Osprey. Osprey makes up a good chunk of my reference books for all my historical projects. So unless you are an historical miniature gamer these just wouldn't haven't hit your radar.

• Like 4

Probably because its still a very new game and the rules are coming from a source that most fantasy and sci/fi players don't think about; Osprey. Osprey makes up a good chunk of my reference books for all my historical projects. So unless you are an historical miniature gamer these just wouldn't haven't hit your radar.

Most likely right about that. Thankfully, we have an awesome community here to tell me about stuff I never would have gone looking for on my own.

Zink- you hit the nail on the head. I like the idea of small armies since I'll be the one painting them up. I also like the simple rules system. Plus, it'll give me an excuse to make more terrain. I like making it but didn't have a reason to use it. I'm pretty sure I can pass it off as a board game to my best friends girlfriend since we can't get her into DnD but she likes board games.

• Like 2

I am having some reservations about this game.  Still haven't bought a copy of the rules yet, but I understand it to be very scenario driven.  Can you do pick up games with Frostgrave?

• Like 1

Me and my kids (ages 11 and 8) have been playing it lately. I tried getting them into Mordheim earlier this year but we like the speed and simplicity of Frostgrave more. Less customisation on everybody but the wizard but that's ok. I gave most of the official Frostgrave minis I got to the boys and they've painted a few. For myself I went with Darkrasp as the wizard and the lady necromancer with scythe from Bones II as the apprentice. More basic soldiers are GW skellies, more advanced ones either Bones armoured skellies or kitbashes of various plastic sets I have with GW skulls. I'm working on about 20 or so minis to give me undead options for all levels of the warband. Once I get a bit more painted I'll be spamming several forums with photos. I think Frostgrave is a great game if you have limited space and want a lower mini count. The only negative in that regard is terrain. The more the better.

I look forward to seeing what you've got done.

• Like 1

I am having some reservations about this game.  Still haven't bought a copy of the rules yet, but I understand it to be very scenario driven.  Can you do pick up games with Frostgrave?

Yes but much like Necromunda or Mordheim you would lose the advancement over time aspect if you did.

• Like 2

I am having some reservations about this game. Still haven't bought a copy of the rules yet, but I understand it to be very scenario driven. Can you do pick up games with Frostgrave?

I am having some reservations about this game. Still haven't bought a copy of the rules yet, but I understand it to be very scenario driven. Can you do pick up games with Frostgrave?

Yes but much like Necromunda or Mordheim you would lose the advancement over time aspect if you did.
I like that it can be played either way. it'll just make it easier to pass it off as a board game, similar to descent 2. I figure I'll put together some warbands for our group to choose from.

The buy in for this game is extremely reasonable. Another reason I jumped in on it. So reasonable I'm toying with the idea of just going ahead and buying the kindle version as well while I wait for the hardcover. If we like it, I'll preorder the new book. Well my shipping went from 1-2 weeks to next Wednesday, so I guess I'll skip the kindle version. Yay! :-)

It's up on Amazon, if your on the fence, there's the look inside option. That's what hooked me. That and a few reviews I read elsewhere.

• Like 2