Gailbraithe

Frostgrave

Great write-up Gargs!  I enjoyed reading it.

Nice Captain modification, David!   He needs new shoes.  :).

And I see the ice toad lurking back there...

• Like 3

Looking good!  Have you tried any of the official Frost grave minis from Northstar?  Looks like a great deal, but wasn't sure about the quality, never bought from them before.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Gargs said:

Looking good!  Have you tried any of the official Frost grave minis from Northstar?  Looks like a great deal, but wasn't sure about the quality, never bought from them before.

I have all the plastics, and the various metal freebies that came with the nickstarters, but haven't actually done anything with any of them yet. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Gargs said:

I have the plastic Soldiers set, and Cultists set; and think they're both terrific!  Lots of accessories, weapons, and parts in each set to chose from.  And they mix well with GW plastic as well for even more conversion potential.  I think the quality is great.

And before you go buying directly from Northstar, Brigade Games here in the US carries all their products, so you don't need to wait for overseas delivery.

Edit: here's a couple of their cultists that I posted on my blog:  http://onemoregamingproject.blogspot.com/2017/01/a-couple-of-frostgrave-plastic-cultists.html

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 5

Awesome, good to know.  The price was certainly good and I loved the customization potential, just didn't know about the quality.  Will definitely put these on my to buy list!  

And now my wallet is crying.  :P

• Like 3

@Gargs, welcome to the fun.

I have the plastics as well and as the others have said, they are pretty good, lots of options and the quality is up there with the other top companies.

I also have some of their metal minis and the detail and casting is pretty good but the fit of some of the multi-part kits can leave a little bit to be desired from what I have encountered.

• Like 4

I have a couple of the Frostgrave plastic sets and like them. They are as good a quality as the GW, Fireforge, Gripping Beast and Warlord Games plastics I have. Plus all the parts between these companies are close enough to in scale that you get a huge amount of conversion opportunities between them. I did a few models mixing in some old GW bits. The GW bits are bigger and don't match as well but still ok.

• Like 4

In my local frostgrave group, I play a sigilist and the top player is a summoner. I started out late but am catching up fast thanks to Create Grimoire. 

My biggest problem so far has been dealing with Posessed heavily armored warriors. My best solution so far has been Blinding Light, which unfortunately only solves half the problem temporarily. Maybe I could learn Power Word and attempt to make it even harder to undo and easier to cast, any other suggestions? I know that Banish is an option, but I consider that a last resort because of the whole metagaming for a specific opponent kind of puts me off.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, SirArthurIV said:

In my local frostgrave group, I play a sigilist and the top player is a summoner. I started out late but am catching up fast thanks to Create Grimoire. 

My biggest problem so far has been dealing with Posessed heavily armored warriors. My best solution so far has been Blinding Light, which unfortunately only solves half the problem temporarily. Maybe I could learn Power Word and attempt to make it even harder to undo and easier to cast, any other suggestions? I know that Banish is an option, but I consider that a last resort because of the whole metagaming for a specific opponent kind of puts me off.

Planar Tear is a great spell to deal with possessed (and any demon) model.

Edited by Dilvish the Deliverer
auto corrupt
  • Like 2

Well, all models within 2 inches of the Tear must make a will save or take 2 points of damage.  Demons who fail their will save take damage equal to their casting roll.  

Planar Tear has a base casting of 12, so for you it would be a 16.  One way to get around that would be is you could Scribe Scroll.  That way, you could carry a scroll of it; cast Planar Tear, if you succeed then thats 16 points of damage.  If you you fail, then use the scroll to auto succeed at the base casting difficulty (12) and do 12 damage.  Not so shabby.

Oh and Planar Tear is in the base rulebook.

• Like 3

Casting is actually 18 since it's an opposed school, But you are right about Scribe Scroll negating that problem.

However they chainged how casting spells you know with a scroll works in the Errata. It treats the casting roll as whatever your failed roll is.

On 3/15/2017 at 5:39 PM, Gargs said:

They're quite nice. There's quite a bit of variety in the modular bits, the sculpts are crisply cast, and the price is right. They're noticeably smaller than many Reaper models, including the Anhurians..

On 3/15/2017 at 5:54 PM, Chris Palmer said:

And before you go buying directly from Northstar, Brigade Games here in the US carries all their products, so you don't need to wait for overseas delivery.

You can. You can even order them through Amazon. But they're cheaper directly from Northstar and the time to receive for me was about a week.

14 hours ago, SirArthurIV said:

Banish is a spell of general utility, as are Dispel and Spell Eater. If you have taller terrain pieces, Push can work very well (since the target is pushed directly away from the caster, which can result in quite a bit of altitude. If the figure falls from even 10", the 15 points of damage will ruin his whole day. And, of course, Bind Demon is always a good choice.

48 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Well, all models within 2 inches of the Tear must make a will save or take 2 points of damage.  Demons who fail their will save take damage equal to their casting roll.  

Planar Tear has a base casting of 12, so for you it would be a 16.  One way to get around that would be is you could Scribe Scroll.  That way, you could carry a scroll of it; cast Planar Tear, if you succeed then thats 16 points of damage.  If you you fail, then use the scroll to auto succeed at the base casting difficulty (12) and do 12 damage.  Not so shabby.

Oh and Planar Tear is in the base rulebook.

If you don't know the spell, it succeeds on the base casting number when cast from a scroll.

If you do know the spell, it succeeds on the number you actually rolled if you didn't roll enough to cast the spell directly:

"If the roll fails, the spellcaster may use the scroll. In this case the casting number needed for the spell to succeed is lowered to whatever roll the spellcaster just made." (-Frostgrave Errata, Clarifications, and FAQ, from the Osprey website.)

Which is much less useful.

Edited by Doug Sundseth
  • Like 1

Ah, I forgot about the scroll errata (i don't use them that often).  But still it can still be useful.  

A failing roll is 1-17, so that's 1-17 points of damage (assuming a failed will roll).  Not too shabby, and more likely to do damage than a head to head fight.

Or Mind Control and use it against them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Or Mind Control and use it against them.

Mind Control is always a good choice. Though Bind Demon is the same difficulty for a Sigilist and there's no chance of breaking free. Don't roll a one, though.

Also, there's a certain poetic justice to "It only worked because you were treating with the Demons of Hell!" :B):

• Like 3