Gailbraithe

Frostgrave

Pretty simple rules, small number of miniatures, the only somewhat complex ones being the wizard and the apprentice.  I'ld probably build their first gang for them just to avoid explaining that before they understand what you do with the moving parts.  All in all, probably one of the more youngster friendly, rules-wise, games I've tinkered with.

edit:  Also, I would give them one of the boom wizard types like the elementalist rather than the more subtle ones.  Again, it's easy to explain 'go blow things up'.

Edited by Erifnogard
  • Like 3

There's more bare-bones ones on the Facebook page, but I can't share those remotely.

I wonder if there will be new Soldier types, or these are just an evil alternative.  I know they're going to have skeletal and decaying arms and head options (and they can all be swapped with the Soldiers kit), so there's official Frostgrave Undead with this release.

• Like 2

After I finish converting a large undead warband they come out with official options. No biggy because I liked playing with my skellies. Got a bunch painted now and really need to get some pics to show off. I wasn't much interested in cultists at first but now that I've seen them I might get in on the next Nickstarter. The undead horde may keep growing. Who am I kidding I already know it's growing because I planned on adding some of the Dungeon Saga minis as soon as I get them.

Samurai Jack, I've been playing with my 11 and 8 year old sons. The 11 year old is pretty sharp and already plays just about anything with a bit of advice. He's caught on to Frostgrave real good after a couple of games. The 8 year old isn't as into games but can handle the on table part well enough. Just not much interested in the planning and in between battles stuff. The actual game play is so simple and yet tactical we're loving it. The complexity is pretty much all in the wizard's choices and spells.

• Like 4

I got a chance to play a couple more games of Frostgrave this past Sunday, and am really enjoying the rules.  I've posted a Battle Report over on my Bones painting blog for those that are interested: http://allbonesabout.blogspot.com/2015/09/bones-return-to-frostgrave-battle-report.html

Here are a couple shots of the game.  Particularly fun was my friend's use of Dr Who and River Song as his Chronomancer and his Apprentice.  ::):

photo51.jpg

photo57.jpg

Both games were a lot of fun, and there are a lot of nuances to the game which will be fun to learn and experiment with.  My Illusionist, now named Nikon, and his trusty apprentice, named Cherowyn, are now settled in an old abandoned inn on the edge of the city; fixing it up and preparing for their next excursion. They have put out a call for a Ranger to join their ranks, since they have so much extra space at the inn; and can afford his fees now with the treasure they recovered; he should be here in time to join the next adventure.

• Like 7

I have the game on PDF, and joined the FB group, but thanks to this conversation, I decided to splurge and buy the hardcopy version (I hate PDFs in the end). May just use my old Warhammer minis in the game; we'll see when the rules get here. Certainly I have no lack of minis however, across GW, Reaper, Historicals, etc...

Damon.

• Like 2

I can see these selling very well, to wargamers and roleplayers of various genres.

i know I'll be getting some.