03581: Kieron, Ranger

HMGimlord

Here's a paint job I did for someone today.  Suggestions? Comments?  Improvement Ideas.  The freehanding on the shield is a little rough.  It could have benefited from better planning.  The guy who asked for it picked the black/burgundy color scheme which challenged me when it came to creating good contrast. Overall, not bad, but I'm kind of fishing for any advice on anything that could help with future work.  Many thanks.

IMG_3669_zpsojcbc4wg.jpg

IMG_3686_zpsn8g9nj4l.jpg

IMG_3685_zpsclruipdj.jpg

IMG_3670_zpseioeifv8.jpg

• Like 19

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the free handing is still pretty good. That's a complicated figure you were trying to accomplish!

Tell me about it. Two superimposed bows with a single arrow.  I took a layering approach, which his why it looks all caked up.  It was the only way I could get the lines that thin with the brushes I had.

I think the freehand looks excellent as well.  I won't comment on the red as its been talked about.  I do think that the basing detracts from your nice painting.  It doesn't look bad, but makes him look like he's slogging his way through wet shale rocks.  I'd like to add better feedback on the basing, can you tell me what you used and how you did it?

• Like 2

I think the freehand looks excellent as well.  I won't comment on the red as its been talked about.  I do think that the basing detracts from your nice painting.  It doesn't look bad, but makes him look like he's slogging his way through wet shale rocks.  I'd like to add better feedback on the basing, can you tell me what you used and how you did it?

Yeah. I have to agree with you there.  All I did was brush on adhesive and dip the base in Woodland Scenics ballast.  Then I coated the thing in sealer to keep the ballast together. I think, next time, that I'm going to get one of those bases you can fill with a disc of sculpted (or impressed) greenstuff and just paint it.

If you ever want help with creating more scenic basing, let me know. I love to do basing and I can point you to different tutorials and answer some questions.

Tabletop figures don't need too much basing to look good and really sell a scene or convey a story and sometimes a simple base is more than enough, but there are also times for elaborate basing that can really punch up a figure and complete it.

• Like 1

If you ever want help with creating more scenic basing, let me know. I love to do basing and I can point you to different tutorials and answer some questions.

Tabletop figures don't need too much basing to look good and really sell a scene or convey a story and sometimes a simple base is more than enough, but there are also times for elaborate basing that can really punch up a figure and complete it.

Yes. Please.  Any tutorials or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

Nice Job!

As for basing, this is a great tutorial. Gives good info and some geat techniques.

Sometimes, as Ub3r said, you don't need much. A tuft or 2 of grass, some static grass / flock, all helps to 'frame' your mini and it's story.

8)

George

• Like 1

Nice Job!

As for basing, this is a great tutorial. Gives good info and some geat techniques.

Sometimes, as Ub3r said, you don't need much. A tuft or 2 of grass, some static grass / flock, all helps to 'frame' your mini and it's story.

8)

George

Thanks.  This gave me some ideas. I got in touch with ub3r_n3rd via PM, and he's going to be sending me some links and ideas as well.

Edited by HMGimlord
  • Like 1