I've been talking with one of my fellow gamers about starting a X-com like game, think necromunda or mordheim. Soldiers versus aliens, battling it out in city streets, docks, woods, ufo crashes UFO's.... Ect

I'm looking for terrain. Terrain that you can hide in, climb around that is quick to assemble... I am a fan of hirst arts, and I think I will look at his molds for UFO adventures. But his stuff is slow to assemble and make and paint.

Are there any suggestions for inexpensive, terrain that's modular, quick, sturdy, versatile

If you are looking for cheaper and less labour intensive try foam core with bits and bobs.  Raid old electrical appliances (find them at garage sales or by the curb) and get all sorts of gears and bobbins.

From there you build box shapes, attach your gubbins and use thin card or paper to do details like corner trim and windows.  The final effect is to brush on plaster for a rough concrete look.

My blog shows a few examples of a template I tried for a quick template to allow my local gaming club to hammer out a city during a terrain day.

• Like 1

Depending on how "industrial" you want your UFO insides to look, Mantic's Battlezones terrain might work, as would the Pegasus/IMEX Platformer and Hexagon terrain sets (if you can find them).  Both are "buildable" terrain sets, though the latter options are in smaller pieces than Battlezones sets.  I've used the IMEX stuff for Necromunda and it works really well for that, though as I mentioned it might be a little too "industrial" for most modern environments (unless you're fighting said aliens in a factory or warehouse district or something).

• Like 3

My blog shows a few examples of a template I tried for a quick template to allow my local gaming club to hammer out a city during a terrain day.

I'm checking out your blog, I was hoping a little less diy as I'm hoping to start the game before Christmas time.

BTW love what you did with the cars!

Have you considered papercraft terrain?  I'm a big fan of Fat Dragon Games who do a variety of papercraft terrain that might work.

Can minis stand on the papercraft terrain? How sturdy is it, where I've been gaming lately is a game store...

Have you considered papercraft terrain?  I'm a big fan of Fat Dragon Games who do a variety of papercraft terrain that might work.

Can minis stand on the papercraft terrain? How sturdy is it, where I've been gaming lately is a game store...

Normal 28mm scale mini's can stand on the terrain without any problems.  I've never tried putting a massive metal dragon or other large creature on it so not sure what the upper limits are.  With that said, if you are looking for an XCOM style game, this might not be an issue.

If papercraft terrain is an option, you should also check out the FDG Gallery forum which has pictures of various builds - http://fatdragongames.proboards.com/board/3/gallery

In particular, check out:

Note that some of the above involve kitbashing multiple sources but it should give you an idea of what is possible using papercraft terrain.

Edit: I should also add that there are lots of options when it comes to papercraft terrain.  I like FDG as they do a lot of fantasy terrain but if you are looking for modern/sci-fi - there may be better options out there.

Edited by Jokemeister
  • Like 2

I've been talking with one of my fellow gamers about starting a X-com like game, think necromunda or mordheim. Soldiers versus aliens, battling it out in city streets, docks, woods, ufo crashes UFO's.... Ect

I'm looking for terrain. Terrain that you can hide in, climb around that is quick to assemble... I am a fan of hirst arts, and I think I will look at his molds for UFO adventures. But his stuff is slow to assemble and make and paint.

Are there any suggestions for inexpensive, terrain that's modular, quick, sturdy, versatile

As far as the city terrain, Mantic's red brick buildings from mars attacks might work for you. 

• Like 1

You could also look at the various producers of MDF terrain.  Impudent Mortal, CNC Miniature Workshop, Micro Arts Studio, PlastiCraft to name a few.

Anything for infinity would work great.  So to expand, and include, fanguad's list:

MDF Providers (laser cut wood, you'll need to do a lot of gluing):

1) Zen Terrain

2) Microarts

3) CNC

4) Warsen.al

5) Customeeple

6) Systema terrain

7) Antonocities workshop

8) Underground Lasers

9) Sharkmounted lasers

10) Hexagon mills

11) Laughing Jack

12) Warmill

Injection molded plastic

1) Mantic

2) Maki

3) Pegasis

Foam core or similar stuff

1) Micro Arts

2) Plasti Craft (good sales at various online retailers US side for their stuff and the newer is pre-painted)

I could list off another 10 if I had access to my desktop, which hasn't been set up from the move yet.

If you're looking for a rule set try out Infinity or Deadzone.  Both have free rules.  Infinity has a campaign book that you'll need to buy for those rules, to make it necromunda like, but it's going cheap now as half the book is being re-written later on this year (not the campaign stuff, just the other things in the book).  I think Deadzone has a campaign, not sure if the rules for that are free or not.

• Like 1

I'm checking out your blog, I was hoping a little less diy as I'm hoping to start the game before Christmas time.

BTW love what you did with the cars!

Each building takes only a couple hours of work, not including drying time. You can also time save and do multiple at the same time.

For papercraft terrain it works on card too. There are a few companies that do bulkheads and buttresses to reinforce.

• Like 1