03219: Orc Warrior and 02335: Black Orc Warrior

Baugi

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if a fantasy creature could be called realistic. These are very realistic.

A job well done.

A really classic vision of fantasy with realistic paint ! Bravo ! :)

Great job, I love how dark and gritty they are along with nice simple bases!

This is interesting.  Could any of you expand on what you mean by realistic (that is, how are they moreso than other stuff we see here?)  It's not something I intentionally set out to do, but I noticed it as well, and it's got me wondering.  Especially considering the fact that many of the most effective paint work we see around here is precisely the opposite, with black shadows, white highlights, and vivid, cartoonish coloration in between.  

I'm just trying to learn how I might improve!

• Like 1

Well if a fantasy creature could be called realistic. These are very realistic.

A job well done.

A really classic vision of fantasy with realistic paint ! Bravo ! :)

Great job, I love how dark and gritty they are along with nice simple bases!

This is interesting.  Could any of you expand on what you mean by realistic (that is, how are they moreso than other stuff we see here?)  It's not something I intentionally set out to do, but I noticed it as well, and it's got me wondering.  Especially considering the fact that many of the most effective paint work we see around here is precisely the opposite, with black shadows, white highlights, and vivid, cartoonish coloration in between.  

I'm just trying to learn how I might improve!

Well in the first place they're not shiny..their skintone is like real. And I know in mini painting we tend to overdo highlights and shadows to make great pics and such.

But yours seem more "real".

They're definitely not toylike, they look like they could emerge from a forest any time now.

The same goes for the gear,weapons and cloths.

Somehow it all just seems more true. They look alive. My guess is the muted tones have a lot to do with this.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

• By Guyra
      This KS launched yesterday, and is already funded(with two stretch goals unlocked)! 😄

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/galladoria/factions-of-galladoria

Factions of Galladoria gives you a set of scenery pieces themed around four different factions: Humans, dwarves, elves, and orcs! They all have their own, unique takes on beds, tables, chairs, chests, and even siege engines! Ever wanted to make a dwarf specific tavern? Well, here are beds, tables, chairs, and more for that. How about an orc specific barracks? This KS has got you covered!

I'm rather excited for this KS. The stuff is made in the US, so supply chain issues shouldn't be a problem. And there's a lot of cool stuff here at very good prices! At the lowest (unpainted) pledges, it's between $1.1 and $1.5 per mini in each accessory pack and $10 per siege engine, which is already decent prices in my personal opinion. But if you go for the "unpainted all in" pledge (8 accessory sets and 4 siege engines) of $120, it's only 75% of that, which averages out to about a dollar per mini in the accessories, and $7.50 per siege engine! 😄

$120 nets you the unpainted version of everything in the picture above, btw! Plus any non addon stretch goal stuff! But there are a bunch of other options as well!

It all looks really good as well, and each accessorry set has both regular beds and bunk beds, which I find really cool! 😄

Oh, and it's possible to get everything hand painted as well!

Current stretch goals map:

Btw, this is Galladoria's new KS campaign after they cancelled the fortress one, which was just too big of a project. Also, I'm not affiliated with them, just very enthusiastic! xD
    • By ced1106
      I previously backed the RBJ "Yippers and Squealers" KS (dog-faced kobolds, and pig-faced orcs) and the KS went fine. The Squealers will be offered in this KS as well. I'm only posting these pledges to show all the miniatures, and other pledges are available, including one with "everything".

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1620164718/grunts?ref=nav_search&result=project&term=grunt

• By Rob Dean
      A few years ago (hmmm…2015), Iron Wind Metals did a Kickstarter for a Chaos Wars revival. The first two armies featured were orcs and elves. I got most of my compact orcish army painted a while back, but was looking at a new set of rules last week (Fantastic Battles).  I needed at least one more leader stand to use my Chaos Wars orcs, and I knew that I had a few orc leaders from that Kickstarter I hadn’t finished.  Happily, I was even able to find them among my boxes of primed figures on sticks.

• By jadeite
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/medusaminiatures/3d-printable-elite-orcs-sculpted-by-medusa-minis-7-days

Another 7 days KS by Medusa Minis. I have been quite happy with their previous campaigns. 9 pounds for the whole set or 25 if you missed the previous orc sets.
    • By nihilville
      I'm a little late in posting these, but this year I made a concentrated effort to try to paint orcs and only orcs for October, both to participate in the loose ceremony of "Orctober" and because I really need to finally paint some Orcs for the table. I started out trying some contrast paint for the first time and I didn't really like how the skin tone came out on the first model so I started experimenting. I tried many combinations of basecoat colors, thinning the contrast paint, inks, highlighting and glazing, and different washes. Not all of these even look that different, but I enjoy the subtle variations going on in the theory that, like humans, not all orcs are going to look exactly the same. It was fun experimenting, and I'm looking forward to painting the rest of the Orc crew next year.

Individual pics with the different skin tone recipes I tried below: