Box of Goodwill (EU/UK Version) - Interest Threadz

I've checked the Royal Mail site and whilst filling out the necessary form doesn't look too bad, I'll have to list every single thing in the box. "Plastic and metal figurines" won't pass muster, I'm afraid. The slightly concerning part of the guide was the part saying that following the proper procedure REDUCES the chance of the package being delayed/returned!

• Sad 3
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ouch. That sounds like it'd be an awful lot of work (surely I'm not the only one who ever tossed a bunch of unwanted Bones in there as lightweight filler that might actually be more than filler to someone else) for no actual gain, gicen it'd still just mean hoping customs will actually believe it's a box of "one man's trash..." with no appreciable commercial value, instead of asking for non-existent further documentation.

• Like 2

So, I've taken a long look at various postal services' information about exporting goods from the UK to the EU and vice versa, and it's not actually clear enough

Anyways, you're not meant to list every item separately. That's obvious for identical items; it's "flat-head wood screw, 4.5 x 60 mm, quantity 100", not 100x ""flat-head wood screw, 4.5 x 60 mm, quantity 1". However, it seems to also be intended for similar items; postal services everywhere seem to use something along the lines of "men's shirts made of cotton" as an example of a sufficient item description - which wouldlet you subsume a plethora of colors and designs into the quantity column.

Royal Mail's "Help with customs and sending items abroad" has sample images that specifically list "DVDS", quantity 2, with a combined weight and value. "DVDS" is a broad term that technically covers everything from a bootleg DVD of some obscure 70s sexploitation flick to a metal-boxed limited edition 2-disc set of the FotM Hollywood Blockbuster. Heck, it doesn't clearly indicate whether these actually are films at all; might be software! Unless RM's specific example is misleading/wrong, any similarly broad term should be permissible (on shipments below 270 GBP, anyways).

My best guess at this stage - now here's where a real lawyer would be helpful! - is that any 'specific-broad' item description corresponding to a HS code would be allowed. Things like "MDF scale model assembly kits" (subset of 95030030), "metal miniature models" (95030085) and "plastic miniature models" (95030095).  [Incidentally, there's different HS codes for film and computer DVDS.]

Anyways,  I know an ex-lawyer who used to work at a parcel service; I'll drop him a line to see if he can comment.

EDIT: He says that customs compliance wasn't his field (he worked in controlling and risk management), so he doesn't really feel confident commenting.

Also, if there's any legalese that's actually strictly preventing Northern Ireland from becoming richer than Croesus with a UK-EU forwarding service industry saving the rest of us splitting headaches, I haven't found it yet.

Edited by Arkady
  • Like 1

This box circling around has me intrigued. Is there room for a german participant? 

What are the actual rules of the box of goodwill. Do i need to add only reaper stuff or can i also add some of my Lord of the rings minis which i don't need anymore? Can the miniatures be somewhat painted or primed  or do they have to be plastic grey. I have some minis which might be primed or lightly painted which however still can be overpainted.

Edit: I don't feel confident about sending stuff to the Uk because i have zero idea how to do customs declarations. Is there perhaps a group for "mainland european" folks like myself?

Edited by MediocrePainter
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, MediocrePainter said:

This box circling around has me intrigued. Is there room for a german participant? 

What are the actual rules of the box of goodwill. Do i need to add only reaper stuff or can i also add some of my Lord of the rings minis which i don't need anymore? Can the miniatures be somewhat painted or primed  or do they have to be plastic grey. I have some minis which might be primed or lightly painted which however still can be overpainted.

Edit: I don't feel confident about sending stuff to the Uk because i have zero idea how to do customs declarations. Is there perhaps a group for "mainland european" folks like myself?

As for rules. 

You take out of the box what you want.

Then put in stuff of roughly the same value/ amount. There is no rule for brands/companies it should of course be mini related, fantasy, scifi,ateampunk even historical or terrain pieces and scenic bases. 

There is no separate mainland group. I sent a box out last year, it's now whit Kuroneko, Brexit stuff makes things harder. I won't participate anymore, I actually put a lot in the box I don't need anymore and I already have too much stuff, especially now I'm printing minis also.

All I can say is that these boxes are usually good fun. Hope you can find a way to participate and enjoy it.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 1

Once Bones 5 is out I'm sure there will be a new wave to participate in. I'll be eager to participate at least.
I hope we can get the old box from the UK out to the mainland by then, but that Brexit stuff is indeed troubling for this.

• Like 2

How many people do we need to Do a europe goodwill box? If limeth, venun and myself participate we would already be 3 people. Fun thing is that we 3 would also be living close to each other with netherlands and germany.

If nobody else volunteers then i could be a Box starter though i may need advice on how big of a package to make and on how many items to put in.

• Like 1

I have many miniature collectors in my friends, last time I had 4 friends going through the box, making the amount of change happening bigger 🙂 

Ofc this was with asking beforehand and getting good replies from the group.

Usually a round is good with like 6-7 people. Can be done with less though.

• Like 1

I have almost no knowledge of Brexit shipping issues (other than it sucks).

I just have a quick question.  Is it easier/better to ship from the US to the EU than from the UK to the EU?

• Like 1

Well, I'd certainly be up for a mainland Europe box.

As for shipping from the US or from the UK, in theory, it shouldn't make much of a difference at this stage. It's really more like people both sides of the Channel aren't yet used to goods trafficking between the UK and EU facing pretty much the same rules as overseas trade.

In practice, of course, the English might not be the most popular folks around the EU atm (I'm pretty sure everyone around my neighborhood was rooting for Italy in that EC final, and half of them don't even like Italy much), so a customs official that only has time to be difficult on one more shipment might decide to be a stickler for regulation on one hailing from hard Brexit country.

Let's first get the Bones 5 in house and see if more people show up! but if not, who would be a good box starter? I don't think I could make a big enough box yet for that. And definitely would be consisting of bones, bones and bones. quite boring I think 😛