Box of Goodwill (EU/UK Version) - Interest Threadz

I would be ok with waiting a little bit more for your guys bones 5 stuff to arrive.

I could make a starter Box. Would be however mostly lord of the rings and maybe some historical victrix stuff like legionaires and carthaginian soldiers. Also i do not know how many minis i need to put into the starter Box. And can they be primed or do they have to be 100% fresh/unsullied?

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will no longer participate.

But my starter box is with @Kuroneko now I understand that Brexit and Customs are now an issue.

I can't tell you guys what to do but what if Kuroneko would find out what the shipping/customs fees would be?

And if there are enough participants who are willing to share the costs then it might be possible again to get the box to the mainland?

Just a thought.

• Like 2

When i used to live in a foreign country you could avoid all kind of fees by declaring that a package is a gift aka a non-commercial package. should this not  also be a possibility here? Some mechanism like this  has to exist for people to send stuff around. Maybe that would be worth investigating?

Edited by MediocrePainter
  • Like 1

I don't know if this applies to other countries, but in the UK even a package marked as a gift can incur fees if it exceeds a certain value.  This was discussed in the earlier pages of the thread.

• Like 1

I wonder where the limit for fees is cause a bunch of miniatures should not be that extreme valuable. Though of course if there are huge amounts of minis in there the limit might be reached, however i have a heretical question: would the official people who look into the package even know how much miniatures are worth, so you would be able to determine and declare the value of the package basicly yourself wouldnt you?

• Like 1

So, the official line is that tax/ import fees will be paid on gifts over £39 heading out of the UK. Unfortunately, you have to itemize the entire contents of the box ie small bag metal miniatures £5, plastic toy dragon £10 etc. I'm perfectly happy doing so, but I've received several packages from the EU lately that charged me tax even though they were well under the commercial limit. Have any EU forumites received parcels from the UK recently? 

That said, I'm more than happy itemizing everything but it means that whoever was on the receiving end would have to be prepared to deal with possible import/handling fees if it got picked up by an over zealous worker

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

So, the official line is that tax/ import fees will be paid on gifts over £39 heading out of the UK. Unfortunately, you have to itemize the entire contents of the box ie small bag metal miniatures £5, plastic toy dragon £10 etc. I'm perfectly happy doing so, but I've received several packages from the EU lately that charged me tax even though they were well under the commercial limit. Have any EU forumites received parcels from the UK recently? 

That said, I'm more than happy itemizing everything but it means that whoever was on the receiving end would have to be prepared to deal with possible import/handling fees if it got picked up by an over zealous worker

Would it avoid the taxes if you used multiple boxes? And would it be cost effective to do it that way? And so glad to see you getting around a little [your pics from your first adventure].

• Like 2
18 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

I have received two packages from the uk recently. One from reaper bones which did not cost me anything extra. And another one from a smaller minuature Company where i had to pay 12 euros because the package Was declared without Vat so the german charged me vat tax. The guy from the smaller Company said that atm it Was a gamble. Some packages would go through without extra fees some not.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
On 7/28/2021 at 4:36 PM, Corsair said:

Would it avoid the taxes if you used multiple boxes? And would it be cost effective to do it that way? And so glad to see you getting around a little [your pics from your first adventure].

Thank you for your kind words!  I'm not sure about the taxes, but it might mean that the recipient got hit by two handling fees instead, sadly. 

On 7/29/2021 at 6:53 AM, MediocrePainter said:

I have received two packages from the uk recently. One from reaper bones which did not cost me anything extra. And another one from a smaller minuature Company where i had to pay 12 euros because the package Was declared without Vat so the german charged me vat tax. The guy from the smaller Company said that atm it Was a gamble. Some packages would go through without extra fees some not.

Unfortunately, this seems to align with what I've heard lately. Without getting into the politics, it just seems that everyone is trying to catch up with the current situation ::(:

• Like 2

So, I understand the situation has changed again in Juli. There's no VAT/customs exempt low-value shipments to the EU anymore. At least some countries (including Germany) do have a customs exemption for private gifts valued below 45€, though. The latter should apply to a Box of Goodwill sent from the UK to Germany... if someone can figure out how to ensure customs will accept it's a private-to-private gift worth 45€ or less. I still have no clue if declaring what's essentially dollar bin figs as a dollar a pop would work if there's no transaction receipt to prove they were in fact bought from a dollar bin.

Seeing how this really isn't helping all those English lead belt manufacturers who had a good bit of direct-to-EU-consumers business prior to Boris getting his way, I'll just stick with

photo-1544005882-6b5903396e3f?ixid=MnwxM

"luckily" we're still waiting on Bones5 delivery so we can participate in this, but getting that box to the mainland would be such a good thing so we can start it off properly after.

That would mean it should not end in UK at this point in time, and most likely would have a very hard time passing through UK.

If there's more UK folks looking to join this round, I'd suggest they go at the start before the box leaves to the main lands.

But now, how do we get the box this way? who can tell us more about this, can someone at the borders be called or anything like it?

Do we have a forumite who works at the borders? Is any UK resident going soon to the main lands who can bring this in his suitcase? 😛 

Hi everyone. I'm interested in this but UK based. I wondered about doing this as a figure of 8. So a box goes around the UK. A box goes around the EU. Then they are 'swapped'. So there's only two cross border (hoy...) mailings. 

52 minutes ago, Brianuk said:

Hi everyone. I'm interested in this but UK based. I wondered about doing this as a figure of 8. So a box goes around the UK. A box goes around the EU. Then they are 'swapped'. So there's only two cross border (hoy...) mailings. 

The way I see it, the less it has to cross the (tiny bit of) ocean to get to UK and back, the better.

At the borders it's unpredictable, and can result in hefty payments required if they deem it neccessary.

A box is currently in the UK. It could go from there through the UK participants, then on to the mainland, not returning to the UK in the end.

I see a future where it'll calm down more and be more easily shipped there, but currently the border patrol is covered in work and being watched by the entire world, so they want to do it right.

At least that's how I see it 🙂 

• Like 1