Sign in to follow this  
Evilhalfling

WIP : Nathavarr & DDS2 terrain. In a week? without insanity.

Following in Buglips footsteps, I will attempt to get this center piece of my collection done in a single week.

Starting on my 41st birthday (Friday), and continuing until it is done.  

I will devote some of my time to family and some time earning money. 

This will include a few hours each day working from home (7 days a week), caring for children and a visit from my father-in-law.  

Advantages: I will be using at least one large brush, and not am painting the adventures.  The people are not .why I bought this set, I have plenty of adventures painted and don't need more, besides my Elder Spawn has already painted the sorceress. 

I will also be attending a local monthly paint day. (4 hrs+ of undisturbed painting)   Honestly the advice and help I get from this group is most useful towards the end of painting, but last week was nuts.

Nathavarr is going to be RED as the largest dragon in my collection I want him to be the largest D&D color. Even though he is so large he is unlikely to ever see the gaming table. After looking at many pictures of red dragons, what makes the best images are the lighting, and the complementary colors, of belly scales and wing membranes. Not much I can do with the lighting, as I won't be rebasing him onto a lava flow, using LEDs or sculpting an active breath weapon. 

all red is dull.  

I am going to try red fading to orange wing membranes and a off white / yellowed belly. - or red to orange/yellow on the belly scales as well.

The terrain on the other hand will get used as often as I can.  So it needs to look good and have a strong sealer coat, 

post-12081-0-00209400-1439575060_thumb.jpg

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 13

I was perhaps premature on the lack of insanity.  Was up at 430 this morning, (due to kids) then just stayed up. 

boiled and iced the tower again.  I'm not sure about the topmost piece. I thought I had it assembled correctly, but the uppermost platform kind of leans. 

So it didn't get painted yet. 

Brown line on whatever looked like ground 

Grey liner on stones & coins.  

kinda spotty, but that will just add to the aged look of the final version right? 

post-12081-0-86435500-1439575341_thumb.jpg

post-12081-0-34347800-1439575352_thumb.jpg

post-12081-0-31537500-1439575359_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Off to a fantastic start!

*chomps on popcorn*

So...is it done yet?

I was going to ask the same question lol!

• Like 1

Good luck!
I am going to take my time with mine.
1st bones...

Did you boil and freeze to get the bottoms of the terrain flat?

Haven't done mine yet....

8)

George

Edited by knarthex
  • Like 2

Good luck!

1st bones...

8)

George

yeah 3 min in boilding water, 5 in Ice. 

there are some trouble spots with the terrain.  I had to accept some imperfections so they could be taken apart again. 

If I wanted them perfect I would glue them all to a single base.   

this tower top I am still tinkering with. 

post-12081-0-87193900-1439610589_thumb.jpg

Today was very productive.  The dragon is now a deep red, but im not going to process photos until tomorrow. 

He is in the background of this photo.... 

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 2

I did the two pieces of the tower together, held them in place while they went into the ice. It seems to be a decent fit. I haven't glued them yet, I expect there will be clamping and massive rubber bands.

• Like 1

Deep red applied, some times thinned with 2 coats sometimes used straight. 

I think I will take him up one more level, deer red /carnage red mix, then highlight with carnage or fire red. 

This guy has a lot of scales and my brushes are beginning to show the wear. 

paint club day today, ill take my broken tower and the wingless  dragon to work on. 

post-12081-0-98805600-1439653856_thumb.jpg

post-12081-0-69239600-1439653861_thumb.jpg

@ Inarah, I should try that too, the problem may be beyond warping, or at least I couldn't straighten it out with just my hands.

the outside of the tow peices lines up now, it just keeps that noticeable slant to the right on the upper piece. 

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 3

Good luck!

1st bones...

8)

George

yeah 3 min in boilding water, 5 in Ice. 

there are some trouble spots with the terrain.  I had to accept some imperfections so they could be taken apart again. 

If I wanted them perfect I would glue them all to a single base.   

this tower top I am still tinkering with. 

attachicon.gifP1020516.JPG

Today was very productive.  The dragon is now a deep red, but im not going to process photos until tomorrow. 

He is in the background of this photo.... 

I did the two pieces of the tower together, held them in place while they went into the ice. It seems to be a decent fit. I haven't glued them yet, I expect there will be clamping and massive rubber bands.

I glued the 2 tower top pieces together, a little bit at a time, and had my 13year old minion* daughter spraying the super glue quik dryer. Then a little more, (About 1-2 inches at a time. That's 25mm-50mm for all of you metric people! :mellow: ), etc until it was glued all the way around. Then started with the green stuff in all the cracks. Just got some grey and brown liners today, and might start putting it on this piece during tonight's Pathfinder game....

Will try to take pics 1st...

How much, if any, do I need to thin the liners for use as a primer?

Keep going! Looking Good!

8)

George

*See, minions CAN be useful!

Wings, Claws and Horns day. 

Wings:  they look just like they did in my head. 

-perhaps a tad more leathery, less firey but still terrific. 

post-12081-0-85933300-1439784681_thumb.jpg

This is my first attempt at the horns with lines,  I may just clean them off and try again.  The videos showing this technique all turned out better than mine.  I can think of a number of my other minis where this technique would have helped.  and perhaps this dragon is not the best place to practice it, but I have to start somewhere. 

Basically paint it black, draw thin lined out from the tip of the horn, leaving some  the previous layer, then use a lighter color and repeat. 

post-12081-0-57626200-1439784918_thumb.jpg

post-12081-0-92303900-1439785038_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Looking Good!

Are you talking to yourself yet?

Is the Dragon talking to you?

Are you answering?

Keep going, It all comes together and you will have one Heck of a piece to show and play with!

8)

George

I don't thin liner at all, adding any water to the first coat on a Bones Mini makes everything harder. 

I use liners because they are really thin and don't obscure the details like a full basecoat.  

I have also had difficulties with my spray on primer (it stayed tacky). so rather than buying and experimenting with other primers, I mostly use brown liner. 

Navarr  like most unfinished minis only glares and delivers silent reproaches for me not spending more time or effort on him.

currently he wants me to hurry up and pin/glue his wings on. 

• Like 1