77383: Barden Barrelstrap, Dwarf Cleric

HMGimlord

Yet another attempt at painting a mini.

I like the direction I gave the eyes on this one, but I bled the irises such that I might have to go back over it with a magnifying glass so I can fix the problem.  I'm also still a newbie at blending, though I like to think I'm getting better with every try.

FullSizeRender_zpseulixxmm.jpg

FullSizeRender%201_zpsuhk2gqty.jpg

FullSizeRender%203_zpspxfxfjhk.jpg

FullSizeRender%202_zpslifit8hj.jpg

FullSizeRender%200_zpsl4gzlzdf.jpg

• Like 21

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The quickest piece of advice I can give is on the eyes. Try painting them a dark color to outline them. Then paint an off white sclera, like linen white in the middle of it. Leave an outline of dark. Then go back and paint the pupil. It will surprise you.

Good effort here overall. Keep painting, and those issues with blending will improve.

• Like 3

I agree with Darcstaar.

Good effort

A piece of advice :

when I look at that beard I notice that you try to shadow and highlight but the colours get a bit mixed on wrong places.

try to put the shadows in the recesses, then paint the midtone on the hairs.

And then just highlight the parts of the hair that are suppossed to catch the light most.

• Like 3

I agree with Darcstaar.

Good effort

A piece of advice :

when I look at that beard I notice that you try to shadow and highlight but the colours get a bit mixed on wrong places.

And then just highlight the parts of the hair that are suppossed to catch the light most.

Can you suggest a color scheme?  The beard was hard to figure out.  I would love to go with a bright ginger effect, about the color of mango.  I just didn't know how to do it, and the tutorials I found were a little vague.  With the three-step approach you mentioned, I want to make sure I use the right colors to get the effect I want.

• Like 2

The quickest piece of advice I can give is on the eyes. Try painting them a dark color to outline them. Then paint an off white sclera, like linen white in the middle of it. Leave an outline of dark. Then go back and paint the pupil. It will surprise you.

Good effort here overall. Keep painting, and those issues with blending will improve.

Would black be too dark for the outline color, or should I use a dark skin/earth tone?

• Like 2

Nice job here over all.

The eyes- Eyes are hard and his are tiny. Use dark brown to line them. If you have brown liner, use that.

The beard- The colors you've used are fine for red hair. Base coat in the red, this will be your shadow color. Your mid tone will be the Orange. Load your brush, then unload a bit of the paint on a cloth or your thumb or whatever. You want your brush to be damp still, your not going for dry brushing with this, just damp. Use the side of your brush to go with the grain of the hair. Your going for catching the tops of all the strands leaving the red shadows untouched. Then take your yellow, using the same technique to hit just the tippy top of the strands where the sun might hit it. That's your highlight. Bam you've got hair. It takes practice. Oh Lordy does it take practice.

It looks like you could stand to thin your paints just a tad more.

Most of all, if your having fun, your doing it right. Technique comes with time and patience. The fun should be immediate and lasting and is the most important part of it all. :-)

• Like 4

Would black be too dark for the outline color, or should I use a dark skin/earth tone?

You can use black. This is appropriate especially for female figures who might wear eye-liner.

Lately, I've been using Reaper Master Series Brown Liner with good results.

• Like 2

I agree with Darcstaar.

Good effort

A piece of advice :

Can you suggest a color scheme?  The beard was hard to figure out.  I would love to go with a bright ginger effect, about the color of mango.  I just didn't know how to do it, and the tutorials I found were a little vague.  With the three-step approach you mentioned, I want to make sure I use the right colors to get the effect I want.

Ub3r and Tiny beat me to it... ::):

If you follow their advice I'm sure you get a great beard..

If you like it to be more Mango? Then it will become some kind of blond, Mango is yellowish with an orange teint.

I would use a little light brown mixed with a little orange for shadows, then midtone a bit more orange and add a tiny bit of yellow in there,

highlights with almost pure yellow but a mild kind, like Buckskin Pale from Reaper for example.

The colours are actually entirely up to you, as long as you put the dark in the recesses and the light on the top then it will be ok.

You could also expirement with washes maybe.

Look in the forum Painting Advice.. Lots of useful things there.

• Like 3

Wow thanks ub3r for linking the red hair triad info I can't believe it has been about 3 years since that thread.i actually approach hair differently now so I may post a question on that thread (to avoid interrupting this one) to see if there is interest in an update on how I paint red hair.

• Like 3

Wow thanks ub3r for linking the red hair triad info I can't believe it has been about 3 years since that thread.i actually approach hair differently now so I may post a question on that thread (to avoid interrupting this one) to see if there is interest in an update on how I paint red hair.

You are the queen of the Crimson tresses! Of course I'll link your tutorial and we all want to see any/all improvements you've done to do hair better. :)

• Like 3

Good work!

I hate painting eyes!

Then I found this tutorial, now I hate it less....

Give it a look and a try!

8)

George

Thanks for the link.  Man this was helpful.  All I can say is duh! Why did I not think of it this way.  My gut always tells me to paint things backwards from how things need to be painted.  I should have learned by now, no?

• Like 1