Jump to content

Marvin

What's on TV?

Recommended Posts

I've been watching Republic of Doyle on Netflix recently*. Likable characters, decent plotting, and no more unlikely than Cabot Cove, the world-record holder for murders per capita. (There are more people in Midsommer County than Cabot Cove.)

 

Fun watch if you like police/PI procedurals.

 

* Doing research on @buglips*the*goblin's society and habitat. ::P:.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

I've been watching Republic of Doyle on Netflix recently*. Likable characters, decent plotting, and no more unlikely than Cabot Cove, the world-record holder for murders per capita. (There are more people in Midsommer County than Cabot Cove.)

 

Fun watch if you like police/PI procedurals.

 

* Doing research on @buglips*the*goblin's society and habitat. ::P:.

 

I knew a guy on the 2nd unit, and we were working on a script so we could get our guild credits, but they ended the show a season earlier than originally planned.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cinemax has a new series named Warrior. It's based on the script/concept that Bruce Lee pitched to Warner Brothers, that they then stole and turned into the Kung Fu series. Shannon Lee is a producer and the main production company also ran Banshee, one of my all-time favorite series. They're 2 episodes in and so far the story has been acceptable. The fight scenes have been great tho! The main character is doing an excellent job of making the character his own, while still emulating Bruce during the fight scenes.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just finished season 2 of Tin Star. It is about an undercover agent from the UK who comes to the Canadian Territories as a constable. Stars Tim Roth. The acting is good and it feels like Longnire by way of the Cohen Brothers, but it features lots of Landscape porn of the Canadian wilderness.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yesterday I was able to watch Kiki's Little Delivery Service and Princess Mononoke again. Magic movies. Looking forward to watching Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle next Friday! Yay.

 

Recently I am watching "I shouldn't be alive" - S06E06, the story of the ANG crew that ditched during the 1991 "Perfect Storm" about a hundred miles off the coast of Long Island. Awesome story, intense acting and narrating. I like it better than the actual movie "Perfect Storm" ... I now want to re-watch all my Mayday episodes ...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/20/2019 at 2:28 PM, Beowulfthehunter said:

Just finished season 2 of Tin Star. It is about an undercover agent from the UK who comes to the Canadian Territories as a constable. Stars Tim Roth. The acting is good and it feels like Longnire by way of the Cohen Brothers, but it features lots of Landscape porn of the Canadian wilderness.

 

How did S2 compare to S1? My wife and I keep forgetting that the new season has been out and I need to add it to the watch list. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Started watchimg RWBY on Prime this weekend.  Made it through the first 3 volumes.  The animation style threw me at first but as the series went on, it either got better or I got used to it (or most likely a bit of both).  Enjoying it so far.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Chrome said:

 

How did S2 compare to S1? My wife and I keep forgetting that the new season has been out and I need to add it to the watch list. 

Disappointing, they introduced some ne characters with a poor payoff. Character motivations/actions made little sense. The show felt hateful towards the watcher if that makes any sense. We are getting a season 3, which is thankfully only going to be 6 episodes.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, redambrosia said:

*And there was much walking and gnashing of teeth*

 

I agree that it's anime. I find it hilariously entertaining that a certain corner of anime fandom militantly defends the idea that it is NOT anime, largely because it isn't Japanese. Same folks get upset about Avatar/Korra. I say, if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it must be a duck (even if it isn't actually from Central Park). The internet gets angry about the strangest things.

 

I actually just finished up two anime series that I really enjoyed, despite not expecting to. Someone heard me talking about anime and I mentioned that I'm not much of a fan of the harem or idol group genres. These two shows were suggested to me... They don't necessarily make me a fan of their genres, but I enjoyed these. The dubbed first season of each is on Funimation's streaming service.

 

Zombieland Saga: this group of seven female entertainers from throughout Japan's long history of female entertainers are all dead, but as part of a mysterious plan to "save Saga Prefecture," they've all been raised up as (surprisingly intelligent, dextrous and erudite) zombies in order to form the greatest girl group J-Pop idol ensemble ever! It's weird, it's clean, it's hilarious. And it teaches several valuable lessons: Friendship is magic, team work makes the dream work, and J-Pop is awesome.

 

Quintessential Quintuplets: driven smart guy Futaro needs money, so he puts out an ad as a tutor. Also, he meets a new student in his class five times and fails to make a good impression each time. Then he gets a phone call to tutor some rich guy's daughters, who are all pretty dedicated to being terrible students. Surprise! The daughters are identical quintuplets, and the new girl he met several times is actually each of the girls he now has to tutor! Hilarity ensues. It's definitely a harem anime, but each of the quintuplets has clear interests beyond The Guy, and several of them really don't seem to see Futaro romantically at all, so it really just becomes a nicely assembled series of character studies. It's a bit fanservicy, but not particularly lewd about it.

There's a parallel here with "How I Met Your Mother" in the sense that we know he's going to wind up marrying one of them (there are a couple of flash forwards to the wedding), but we don't know which. I have surprised myself by having a preference (besides the preference that this not end the same way as HIMYM).

Edited by Sanael
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sanael said:

*And there was much walking and gnashing of teeth*

 

I agree that it's anime. I find it hilariously entertaining that a certain corner of anime fandom militantly defends the idea that it is NOT anime, largely because it isn't Japanese. Same folks get upset about Avatar/Korra. I say, if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it must be a duck (even if it isn't actually from Central Park). The internet gets angry about the strangest things.

 

I actually just finished up two anime series that I really enjoyed, despite not expecting to. Someone heard me talking about anime and I mentioned that I'm not much of a fan of the harem or idol group genres. These two shows were suggested to me... They don't necessarily make me a fan of their genres, but I enjoyed these. The dubbed first season of each is on Funimation's streaming service.

 

Zombieland Saga: this group of seven female entertainers from throughout Japan's long history of female entertainers are all dead, but as part of a mysterious plan to "save Saga Prefecture," they've all been raised up as (surprisingly intelligent, dextrous and erudite) zombies in order to form the greatest girl group J-Pop idol ensemble ever! It's weird, it's clean, it's hilarious. And it teaches several valuable lessons: Friendship is magic, team work makes the dream work, and J-Pop is awesome.

 

Quintessential Quintuplets: driven smart guy Futaro needs money, so he puts out an ad as a tutor. Also, he meets a new student in his class five times and fails to make a good impression each time. Then he gets a phone call to tutor some rich guy's daughters, who are all pretty dedicated to being terrible students. Surprise! The daughters are identical quintuplets, and the new girl he met several times is actually each of the girls he now has to tutor! Hilarity ensues. It's definitely a harem anime, but each of the quintuplets has clear interests beyond The Guy, and several of them really don't seem to see Futaro romantically at all, so it really just becomes a nicely assembled series of character studies. It's a bit fanservicy, but not particularly lewd about it.

There's a parallel here with "How I Met Your Mother" in the sense that we know he's going to wind up marrying one of them (there are a couple of flash forwards to the wedding), but we don't know which. I have surprised myself by having a preference (besides the preference that this not end the same way as HIMYM).

Hubby and I have watched/are watching those. Really enjoying both. 

 

Also recently discovered one called "the wise man's grandson", which had me laughing a ton within the first few minutes. Funimation only has the first two episodes so far.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, redambrosia said:

Hubby and I have watched/are watching those. Really enjoying both. 

 

Also recently discovered one called "the wise man's grandson", which had me laughing a ton within the first few minutes. Funimation only has the first two episodes so far.

That one is on my list, just haven't started it yet.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×