Marvin

What's on TV?

Just finished the final season of I Zombie. It had some issues and seemed rushed, but I love how they ended it. I hope so see those actors appear elsewhere.

Now to finish the final season of Orange is the new Black. It is killing my soul with each episode, but Kate Mulgrew makes it tolerable.

• Like 2

I just finished Another Life on Netflix and am 2/3 thru Wu Assassins. I enjoyed both of them. Another Life did an excellent job of moving the plot along without dragging on, spending huge amounts of time on recaps, or characters constantly talking about their feelings. It was refreshing for a Netflix series. Wu Assassins was initially produced as a normal TV series so the episodes are only 40 mins long, making it move quickly too. 

• Like 3

Finished "The Boys" on Amazon. It's a decent watch (the quality is decent... The morality is anything but), but not nearly as entertaining as the source material.

It lacks the kineticism of Ennis' books, and the focus is shifted to the point it should be called "The Seven." Also, the books pretty much revel in how awful everyone is, and allow the audience to recognize that fact (i.e., the revulsion you feel while reading is fun), while the show wants to moralize on it (the revulsion is tedious).

There are some funny-gory moments, but the fights are mostly uninspired. The show is saved by Karl Urban's moments of unfettered glee; he and Antony Starr are the only actors who seem to be having any fun. 

The last episode is really good, though. They built up some great tension for that.

• Like 5

4 days of bad weather and being sick means I've watched a lot of tv lately. Latest seasons of Disenchanted and Stranger Things as well as Wu Assassins. Not crazy about Disenchanted but keep watching it. Stranger Things is good. Liked Wu Assassins. 

• Like 6

I just finished the recent season of The Handmaid's Tale. I really should NOT have been watching that while I've been pessimistic about the world and everything. But the show is sooooo good. Just also soooo depressing. Yikes. Highly recommend, but only if you have a good mood that you're willing to tank.

Sir Cyr and I also finished The Dark Crystal 1st season prequel. I enjoyed it but kinda was expecting it to be more murdery and brutal at the end.

We also just started the Good Place s3, because it took a while to get to Canada. Of course it is enjoyable. We got a kick out of the phrase "just google Crystals That Prevent Erectile Dysfunction" in the context it was used it.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Cyradis said:

We also just started the Good Place s3, because it took a while to get to Canada. Of course it is enjoyable. We got a kick out of the phrase "just google Crystals That Prevent Erectile Dysfunction" in the context it was used it.

I've just finished season 1, thought it was pretty good (I'm not usually much of a comedy person).

I am wondering why every show I've watched that is set predominately in the afterlife, said afterlife is pretty terrible though (admittedly it's only three shows so far, but it still seems weird).

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Forgot to add the Good Place on my list of what we just watched. I really liked the first the season but for me the 2nd and 3rd weren't as good. Still fun to watch though.

• Like 2

On 9/30/2019 at 3:30 PM, aku-chan said:

I've just finished season 1, thought it was pretty good (I'm not usually much of a comedy person).

I am wondering why every show I've watched that is set predominately in the afterlife, said afterlife is pretty terrible though (admittedly it's only three shows so far, but it still seems weird).

Because stories need conflict. And an unpleasant afterlife generates more conflict that is easier to put on screen than a pleasant afterlife. 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Argentee said:

Because stories need conflict. And an unpleasant afterlife generates more conflict that is easier to put on screen than a pleasant afterlife. 

Makes sense.

Luckily it's such a rare setting, because it's already made me suspicious enough that I figured out where The Good Place's plot was going fairly early on.

• Like 1

The Chernobyl HBO mini series is awesome, well worth your time.  The depiction of Russia in that time period seems spot on from growing up in Norway at that time.  I remember the restrictions on eating meat and fish from the mountainous areas, and the media coverage.

Don't have to get HBO to see it, we bought the series on Amazon Prime.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just finished watching the Netflix series - Daybreakers. It starts hilarious.

Its zombie apocalypse & Ferris Bueller combo. 

The setup is that there was a war, and biological weapons turned most adults and young kids into goo.  A small number of human adults became hungry zombies.    

All the Teenagers survived.  They are now running things.  dividing up the city based on HS cliques. 

the main character breaks the 4th wall often.  sometimes other kids take over the narration for an episode, each with a different style. 

its been done before, more or less but rarely played for laughs. 

The first half of the series is better than the second half. It starts jumping sharks in episode 8. 

• Like 3

Started watching DuckTales. The new 2016/2017 version.  Sure it's only the first episode, but I definitely like how they've redone the girl. 

Yup, she's awesome.  Evil, cunning, and totally overboard, but awesome. 

• Like 1

We started watching The Dark Crystal Netflix series.  Hubby loves it, I just think it's super sad, since I know how it ends.  Sometimes I just want to reach through the screen and shake the characters; don't trust the Skeksis you morons, they are evil!!

• Like 2

Happened to watch Sesame Street 50th Anniversary Celebration special on PBS.

It was nostalgia done well. They brought back a ton of old muppet characters that haven't been in sketches in decades. Even the end credits have flashbacks to the old cartoon segments from the 70s-80s. I was actually singing along with most of the classic songs.

• Like 1