Sign in to follow this  
Marvin

What's on TV?

Gave Carnival Row a try last night. I’m not sure how I feel about it. It’s very GrimDark. There’s only so much of people being awful to each other that I can take.

• Like 6

52 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

Gave Carnival Row a try last night. I’m not sure how I feel about it. It’s very GrimDark. There’s only so much of people being awful to each other that I can take.

Watched a couple episodes and just kinda stalled out. I wanna go back and give it another try, but it was very much an "I like it, but..." for me.

In other news, unexpectedly started watching the first season of Westworld last night. Feeling hard on the fence after a couple episodes. Lots of naked people and flies, like the cast, but probably fair to say I am not particularly captivated so far.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Marvin said:

In other news, unexpectedly started watching the first season of Westworld last night. Feeling hard on the fence after a couple episodes. Lots of naked people and flies, like the cast, but probably fair to say I am not particularly captivated so far.

I rather liked the first season, but season 2 got quite draggy and stupid.

Couldn't get into the latest season at all.

• Like 2

Sir Cyr and I finished the recent season of Castlevania. Better fight scenes. He cringed at Lenore, but I thought she was brilliantly executing a plan. The stuff with Alucard was poorly written. Really whacked expectation management.

• Like 2

@Egg of Coot, I saw your post about CuriosityStram and we subscribed to it as well.   Just watched 3 episodes of Planet Dinosaur, good stuff!

• Like 2

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 9:50 PM, Beowulfthehunter said:

Finished Letter to the King. It was fun. The wife got me into Tiger King and it is batbroccoli insane. I also started season 3 of Ozark.

Letter to the King was fun but the number and variation of tropes was amazing!  There were some tropes in there that I didn't think you could mix together but they succeeded.

15 hours ago, Citrine said:

@Egg of Coot, I saw your post about CuriosityStram and we subscribed to it as well.   Just watched 3 episodes of Planet Dinosaur, good stuff!

Curiosity stream was fun.  I got it on their Christmas sale so I got it for next to nothing.  As soon as I watched three videos, I paid for the subscription with avoided rental fees,  Even at full price though its still a good deal.

• Like 3

On 3/29/2020 at 10:50 AM, redambrosia said:

It is pretty dark in places but we watched it through and thought it had a good story.  I'm expecting a season 2 if/when they get around to opening studios again. 

We  watched the first episode of Vagrant Queen (based on comic book of the same name).  Not sure, but I think I'm liking it. It's pretty cheesy, feels like what you'd get if you mashed old Dr Who, Red Dwarf, and Star Wars together.  

Chugging through Picard.  It's slow going, we're about halfway through and they're still introducing characters, but it feels like it is going somewhere....

Enjoying Big Dreams, Small Spaces.  I like seeing real people facing real challenges, instead of landscaping teams who come in and do all the gardening work overnight. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/29/2020 at 10:24 PM, Citrine said:

Yeah, you can run pretty far down a rabbit hole with some of those series.  Glad you're enjoying it.

The Egg

• Like 1

On 3/29/2020 at 2:17 PM, Cyradis said:

Sir Cyr and I finished the recent season of Castlevania. Better fight scenes. He cringed at Lenore, but I thought she was brilliantly executing a plan. The stuff with Alucard was poorly written. Really whacked expectation management.

Agreed on all counts...  The Alucard stuff was pretty weak.  I was rather disappointed. 

Most of the way through season 2 of Altered Carbon.  I much preferred season 1 and I keep feeling like they are mixing parts of books 2 and 3 here, but I'm not sure as it's been a long time since I read them.  Season 1 felt more in line with the book, even if it did stray, a few times rather significantly.  Still enjoying it and will watch the 3rd season, assuming they make it. 

Still need to finish season 1 of Happy and then watch season 2.  Love the concept, love the actor, but the show is a little dark and hasn't fit my mood of late. 

• Like 3

Has anyone watch Vagrant Queen, the new show on SyFy?  I've only watched the first episode (out of 2 that have aired), and not completely sure what I think yet.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Clearman said:

Has anyone watch Vagrant Queen, the new show on SyFy?  I've only watched the first episode (out of 2 that have aired), and not completely sure what I think yet.

I've watched the first two.

I liked it enough to keep watching.

• Like 1

Been watching spy stuff.

Started with Killing Eve because of the hype, but it's brilliance was lost on me, I thought it was trying way too hard to be quirky and gave up after episode 3.

Had much better luck with Deutschland '83, found it surprisingly good despite the lack of action.

• Like 3

Sir Cyr and I watched a short anime called Erased (original name was more along lines of "A Town In Which I Don't Exist"). It is an inverted mystery, trying to prevent things from happen. With the exception of That One Thing That Happens, it is real-world setting. I have minor guilt for enjoying it as much as I did, considering it involves evil tropes that I pull heavily on in my D&D game :wacko:

• Like 3

Just finished the fourth (and latest) season of The Last Kingdom on Netflix. Wasn't bad, but they are straying from the books fairly heavily this time to increase the drama. Still enjoyable to watch.

• Like 4