Sign in to follow this  
Marvin

What's on TV?

Just starting to watch that. I haven't read the books so won't notice the differences. Annoys me a lot of the time when films/tv shows stray too far from the source material. Not much scares me like the words "based on a true story". 

• Like 4

Hopefully you'll enjoy it then. I'd like to see it continue until the end of the book series (which is scheduled to have the final installment released this year). Bernard Cornwell is a great historical fiction writer, who does a lot of research. And is quite prolific, churning out a book just about every year (unlike some other writers who shame remain nameless).

3 hours ago, Zink said:

Not much scares me like the words "based on a true story". 

If you read the books, or any of Cornwell's work, he always has a historical note at the end of the piece explaining what events are known to be true, and where he has taken liberties to get to those known points. And while Uhtred is fictional and the protagonist, he always maintains that the series is really the story of how the Saxon kingdoms became the kingdom of England. I highly recommend reading the books at some point if you have time; they are easy reads, told in first person, so you get extra insight into Uhtred's thoughts.

• Like 5

Started watching the Catherine the Great mini series from HBO.  It stars the very talented Helen Mirren in the title role.  I'm normally a big fan of historical drama, but this one disappoints.  The show skips all the interesting parts of Catherine's life and focuses on her later years and her relationship with Potempkin.  Catherine goes around grumpy and arguing with everyone,  plots and political schemes start and stop, and every so often they toss in a graphic sex scene.  If you don't care about story, theme, or historical accuracy,  go ahead.  I found it as dry and appealing as stale crackers, and won't be finishing it. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Hopefully you'll enjoy it then. I'd like to see it continue until the end of the book series (which is scheduled to have the final installment released this year). Bernard Cornwell is a great historical fiction writer, who does a lot of research. And is quite prolific, churning out a book just about every year (unlike some other writers who shame remain nameless).

If you read the books, or any of Cornwell's work, he always has a historical note at the end of the piece explaining what events are known to be true, and where he has taken liberties to get to those known points. And while Uhtred is fictional and the protagonist, he always maintains that the series is really the story of how the Saxon kingdoms became the kingdom of England. I highly recommend reading the books at some point if you have time; they are easy reads, told in first person, so you get extra insight into Uhtred's thoughts.

I've read a few of his books and enjoyed them. Agincourt, The Warlord Chronicle and some of the Sharpe's novels. Not sure why I never got around to reading all of them. In my opinion he does historical fiction well and I like the notes about what and why he added/changed. History's interesting and there's more than enough gaps to add in things. That's why it bothers me when they deliberately mess with major facts. U-571 I'm looking at you. :grr:

• Like 5

Started and finished the first season of Once Upon a Time. Always meant to watch it back when it first started airing, but for some reason never was able. First season was pretty good, I enjoyed their spin on weaving all of the fairy tale characters together. I've always associated Robert Carlyle with The Full Monty or Formula 51 (aka The 51st State), but what a delightful Rumpelstilskin he makes.

• Like 7

Fun show, especially early on (they should've wrapped it a lot sooner, ngl). Lot of good memories wrapped up with it for me--first thing my wife and I watched together lol. Somehow our first date turned into catching up on the first season on Hulu. Good, albeit extraordinarily dull, times.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Started and finished the first season of Once Upon a Time. Always meant to watch it back when it first started airing, but for some reason never was able. First season was pretty good, I enjoyed their spin on weaving all of the fairy tale characters together. I've always associated Robert Carlyle with The Full Monty or Formula 51 (aka The 51st State), but what a delightful Rumpelstilskin he makes.

He's so wonderful in that roll, and the Queen/Mayor? Mmmm... :wub:

Mrs. Hamster and I watched Upload on Amazon. Interesting premise, decently done, horrible way to wrap the season... Nothing tied up, cliff hangers all over the place... Glad it's getting a second season... you know... eventually... 

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Crowley said:

Mrs. Hamster and I watched Upload on Amazon. Interesting premise, decently done, horrible way to wrap the season... Nothing tied up, cliff hangers all over the place... Glad it's getting a second season... you know... eventually... 

I just finished that one as well.  Great plot and a terrific premise but the characters are thick as village idiots.  It does bring up a lot of interesting conversations though, both technical and existential so overall a win.  

I have to agree on the last episode though, cliff hangers are classic ways to try and hype the second season but I think this one introduced more plot complications than the rest of the series and really didn't contribute anything to the plot line.  

It will be interesting to see how much of that is politely swept under the carpet in season two...

• Like 4

I started Altered Carbon, becuase I read Dichan Lackman is in it and has a topless sword fighting scene. Previously my wife had watched it and said it did not make sense. She was so wrong ( don't tell her I said that). I am loving it. It is very Cyberpunk, Infinity the game aestetic.

• Like 5

Altered Carbon is one of my favorite shows. Lots of great action, lots of complex plot and awesome visuals.

• Like 2

I've been watching Solar Opposites on Hulu with my son lately. Allot of swearing (which doesn't bother me) but funny. Same guys that made Rick & Morty.

Last episode we watched the 2 title characters, one of them tries to make the other smarter by shooting him with a smart ray. Well the dumber one decides later to shoot the smarter one with a dumb ray.

His initial shot misses, hits a book about spaceship repair & turns into the Bible  

:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Started a new miniseries called Curfew.

It's an odd genre mash-up of illegal road race/zombie outbreak (although they're technically more like ghouls), it's also utter, poorly written, nonsense.

But it is very entertaining so far.

• Like 3

Me and my better half watched "Dudes & Dragons".  That was so much more entertaining than it had any right to be.  Low budget but some of the actors were giving a performance their all.  Lots of mocking of the classic fantasy tropes and playing with expectations, along with a plot that was reasonably entertaining (And the dragon is as adorable as a 30 foot long fire breathing flying organic death machine can be ::D:

I would watch it again. 

• Like 4

Sir Cyr and I just watched Good Omens. We were highly amused. David Tennant 1) is made for roles like that, and 2) damn, he really can wear skinny jeans.

• Like 5

Huh, so in the last two weeks I've found out there is a new season of Blindspot, Agents of SHIELD and The 100, all of which I thought ended last season......weird.

We watched the first episode of Ultimate Tag....it was about what you'd expect. Very reminiscent of American Gladiators.....

• Like 2