Sign in to follow this  
Marvin

What's on TV?

Mrs Hamster and I have been watching The Good Place. We're halfway though season 3 and loving it!

• Like 4

My brother loves Forged In Fire--there was a contestant who lives just up the street from him, turns out, kinda neat; he walked over and met him, saw his shop and bought a knife for my dad's birthday lol--so I've watched it quite a bit with him on days he has the baby over, and I guess I've said all that to say this: The commercials are indeed horrific.

For some reason today, no clue why, I revisited Sherlock. Been meaning to get back since watching the firat series and an episode four or five years ago. I rewatched the ones I'd already seen today, and I guess I said all that to say this: "A Scandal in Belgravia" might be the best episode of a TV series I've ever watched. It's really good, anyway.

• Like 4

I now have over 70 episodes of FiF stored on my Network storage.

Collection of new episodes is slowing down now because History channel run them in a really random sequence, so some episodes run more often than others...   

And they split out 5 episodes of season 6 (Armed Forces episodes with a $50K grand prize), and renumbered a few of the following episodes... 

Season 4 suddenly got an episode 24 and 25(there's only 23 episodes in season 4), then Episode 0 of Season 5 also made an entrance in season 4(season 5 is numbered from 0 to 39... )   

And I'm also trying to find time to watch another show, on our National broadcaster...

'The Summer Vacation Car Minute by Minute' 

Just two blokes in a car driving around in Norway, chatting about the places they drive past, waving to the spectators, picking up guests and having a good time. 

They're followed by a van with outside cameras and lots of technical gearr and a helicopter. 

It's not really live like all the 'Slow TV' programs we've had before, as they edit it in the evening before transmitting it, but we got to watch the fun when the following van broke down and had to continue the mission from the bed of a rescue truck... 

One of the guests on the show was one of the 'stars' from the Ice Road Rescue show on National Geographic.

They got a bit of flack for that one, because the guest didn't strap in when he sat in the back seat and chatted with them. 

• Like 4

Woooooohoooooooo, the new season of Seven Deadly Sins is FINALLY out!  ...Going to be hard to binge watch it though, since, well, there's that darn work thing to deal with but I'll figure something out ^_^

• Like 3

2 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Woooooohoooooooo, the new season of Seven Deadly Sins is FINALLY out!  ...Going to be hard to binge watch it though, since, well, there's that darn work thing to deal with but I'll figure something out ^_^

Didn't get too far into that show.

It was pretty good, but they had to go and introduce power levels in the second season and ruined it for me (they're one of my pet hates in anime series).

• Like 4

Umbrella Academy S2.

I loved it. I now want someone to play Klaus Hargreeves for D&D, because he might be my current favorite necromancer.

• Like 6

20 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Umbrella Academy S2.

Desperately needed info: does it make one want/crave donuts as much as the first season did? Need to know so I can plan my grocery list accordingly.

• Haha 4

Finished that newish Cursed series on Netflix. Took a lot of effort to make it through all ten episodes. I guess I prefer my Arthurian legend interpretations to be closer to actual legend, this one deviated too far from it for my taste (though it was based on a Frank Miller work, so...). Cast was ok, nothing fantastic (several familiar faces in it). Visually it was pretty good. Plot got too convoluted. For a story that was supposed to be about how the Lady of the Lake became said Lady, it hardly touched on it.

Was it as bad as that Robin Hood film with Taron Egerton? Couldn't tell you, didn't see it (trailers looked horrid). But it was probably on the level of that King Arthur adaptation from a few years ago with the guy from Pacific Rim.

So if you are like me, and prefer your King Arthur fiction truer to legend, you might want to skip it. Otherwise have a go at it (or if you just like the guy who plays Floki on Vikings). You might be able to turn it into a drinking game.

• Like 2

I finally remembered (or did I?....the thought appeared in my head, at least....) that there was a 3rd season in Legion so I watched that over the last few da...(temporal anomaly detected) period of time. (At least I have memories of that occurring.....).

It was very....Legion-ish.  If you haven't watched any of Legion, it is pretty hard to describe. If you have watched any of it, you know what I mean. It's not really like any other "superhero" show.

Anyway, the acting was very good, the episodes definitely left you thinking, and it did an interesting job of wrapping up the series...sort of.

Also, the musical numbers were quite excellent, especially the Pink Floyd song.  Although I thought the rap battle was a bit flat. 

• Like 2

Started watching Ripper Street, as it was recommended by a sibling. Only seen the first episode, but I liked it. Only problem is that it makes me want ice cream real bad... which, given that it's all about murder, sounds horrible, I know, but it's because when I was little we used to go to an ice cream shop called Jack the Dipper.

Same sibling also recommended the Strain, but I don't have Hulu. Never got to see it while it was airing on TV.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Started watching Ripper Street, as it was recommended by a sibling.

I thought the first season was well done. Lost interest part way into the second season, though. 

We finished with Perry Mason (2020).  It starts out slow, but it is a solid, classic, gumshoe detective murder mystery that winds up to a stunning finish.  Unlike previous tv and movie versions, this one takes us back to a younger, struggling Perry Mason, an origin story for the popular character.  Mature scenes throughout, including sex, violence, gore, drug use, alcohol use, and language.  Recommended. 

• Like 4

On 8/10/2020 at 9:03 PM, Crowley said:

The Good Place... we've got 3 episodes left...

And finished it up last night. Have a box of tissues handy for that last episode.

• Like 5

On 8/14/2020 at 8:38 PM, Inarah said:

I thought the first season was well done. Lost interest part way into the second season, though. 

The second season of Ripper Street does seem a bit disjointed. But if you push through it, the third seaason (which I am in the middle of) is pretty good.

I've also noticed that this series has a significant amount of Game of Thrones alumni (not that I am complaining, just an observation). In two seasons I've identified:

- Bronn                  - Benjen Stark

- Ser Barristan     - Jorah Mormont

- Roose Bolton    - Thoros of Myr

- Brynden Tully    - Qyburn

• Like 1

I finished all of Ripper Street. Not quite sure what happened with the plot of seasons 4 and 5, but I need to watch something happy now.

Maybe the new episodes of Lucifer that just got released on Netflix? Because who doesn't love Tom Ellis in that role? If I ever had to DM roleplay Asmodeus in a D&D session, would definitely base him on his portrayal of Lucifer (a Lore You Should Know podcast segment with Chris Perkins I recently listened to revealed more to me of the personality of Asmodeus).

• Like 1