10 hours ago, aku-chan said:

I didn't enjoy the final two seasons as much as the first two, I just don't like Thrawn all that much.

Thhawn is my favorite star wars character but he has no place in a show or movie where he is the villain. His whole thing is military tactical genius and what protagonist can compete with that?

I would rather he stay on his books where the author who created him can keep doing him

I worry that any live action appearance is going to ruin him, because how can they not when the good guys have to win and that means BS deus ex machina magic events to save them

Also I finished mandalorian season 2 and it was good

Edited by Sirithiliel
  • Like 3
  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Has anyone else noticed this:   https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/jun/20/petition-netflix-cancel-amazon-prime-good-omens-christian-neil-gaiman-terry-pratchett   I will not say

You know you've watched too much Forged in Fire when you go to fix a bent Bones sword and refer to plunging in the ice water as "going to quench the blade." And then still curse when it comes out warp

Posted Images

I'm watching Hannibal. I make enough terrible cannibal jokes it seemed like I needed to at some point.

1) I have a hard time taking this seriously, because the overall tone takes itself *so* seriously and edgy. The lead FBI agent is in the category of Smart Person Who Only Does Stupid Stuff and I hate that trope.

2) The bad cannibal jokes/comments/situational comedy lines are good but really out of place considering how edgy and serious they make this. I'd prefer the campy side.

3) Hannibal was extremely well cast and he seems to enjoy being a villain character. He really is a brilliant villain, and the writers are masterfully creative with evil Uses for Bodies Both Living and Dead. I mean... I thought my necromancers were bad, but HOT DAMN.

4) The food prep scenes would make Gordon Ramsey proud.

5) It supports my idea that the magic school of Enchantment is just as evil, if not moreso, than Necromancy. Hannibal is definitely an enchanter/necromancer/rogue (wizard/rogue).

So I'd suggest this if you need villain inspiration, because it is masterful at that. But overall it isn't so good.

• Like 5
  • 1 month later...

My brother recommended a show on Netflix called Blown Away. It's like every other competition show, but with glassblowing. I've watched three episodes so far, and it's neat to see how pieces of glass artwork are made. And there are so many references to "glory holes" that my inner teenager can't help but laugh every time.

*A glory hole in glassblowing is a furnace used to reheat the glass to make it workable... not what an immature mind is thinking of.

• Like 6
28 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

A glory hole in glassblowing is a furnace used to reheat the glass to make it workable... not what an immature mind is thinking of.

I'm absolutely certain the artist and producers are aware of the alternate definition, yet still choose to use the term...

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Clearman said:

I'm absolutely certain the artist and producers are aware of the alternate definition, yet still choose to use the term...

Glassblowing came first, so there's no reason to not use a legit industry term.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

My brother recommended a show on Netflix called Blown Away. It's like every other competition show, but with glassblowing. I've watched three episodes so far, and it's neat to see how pieces of glass artwork are made. And there are so many references to "glory holes" that my inner teenager can't help but laugh every time.

*A glory hole in glassblowing is a furnace used to reheat the glass to make it workable... not what an immature mind is thinking of.

It is an entertaining and fascinating show to watch.  While we really disagreed with the choice of winner of Season 1, we found the contestants, and results, on Season 2 to be much more enjoyable. 

Another Netflix show in the competition vein we really enjoyed was "We Are the Champions"  It takes looks at different lesser-known competitions across the world, like cheese rolling and dog dancing for example, and really does a good job of exploring the people involved and their reasons for competing. 

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 6
  • 2 weeks later...

Somehow got onto Trek, and rewatched TNG and then watched DS9 for the first time and now am rewatching Voyager. Good times, I guess. Weird how both the latter shows got so much better in season 4, in part because of an addition to the cast. DS9 got downright great in its back half too. As horrid as it was starting out, it wormed its way firmly into my heart.

Started watching this Age of Samurai show on Netflix today. Couple episodes in, enjoying it so far. I've always had an interest in that era of Japan but have generally remained ignorant enough that is a nice learning opportunity. Kinda wanna watch Drifters again now tho.

I got hyped up for Blown Away when it first released, but I was really disappointed in the job they did capturing the beauty of the process. Like, it just wasn't fun to look at. Also, the contestants were awful. I quit before the end of season 1 but was totally unsurprised to hear who won. It felt kinda fixed.

• Like 2
21 hours ago, Marvin said:

I got hyped up for Blown Away when it first released, but I was really disappointed in the job they did capturing the beauty of the process. Like, it just wasn't fun to look at. Also, the contestants were awful. I quit before the end of season 1 but was totally unsurprised to hear who won. It felt kinda fixed.

Season 2 is better.

• Like 1

Well, the past couple weeks have brought Assembly Required to History Channel.

Tim Allen and Richard Karn are basically reprising Tim and Al from Home Improvement running a contest for people designing crazy things.

• Like 3
On 3/5/2021 at 6:36 PM, SotF said:

Well, the past couple weeks have brought Assembly Required to History Channel.

Tim Allen and Richard Karn are basically reprising Tim and Al from Home Improvement running a contest for people designing crazy things.

My son watches the Food that shaped America or whatever that show is called & I saw a ad for this one. Kinda curious, I may try & find it On Demand.

Resident Alien continues to be favorite show on tv right now (granted, my tv watching is mostly AEW Dynamite & various sports shows) but damn the entire cast is funny as hell. Alan Tudyk is just the cherry on top.  outside of Alan, I still think "Big Black" is my favorite character.

• Like 2

I started watching Pacific Rim: The Black on Netflix. I'm only 3(4?) episodes in so far. The animation is good, the story is interesting, but pretty dark so far. A bit Pacific Rim meets Mad Max.....

Certainly interesting enough to keep watching and there seems to be lots of plot hooks inserted that could lead things in a number of directions.

• Like 3