What's on TV?

Marvin

I've started watching season 2 of Ragnarok on Netflix.  It is a Norwegian show, dubbed in English.  It has a different feel to it, which is interesting.  Story has been quirky and interesting so far.  I enjoyed season one so was happy to see that season 2 did get made.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Having never gotten to watch it during it's original run, I've been slowly working my way through Stargate SG-1. Just finished season one, and gotta admit it was a bit of a struggle to get through, story seemed to proceed too slowly. Hoping the other seasons pick up. I'm also not sold on MacGuyver taking over Kurt Russell's role as Jack O'Neill. His portrayal/personality is contrary to the movie's (too much of a wise-guy, Russell was more "kick butt first, talk later").

It does have quite a bit of nostalgia for '90s technology: massive CRT monitors, Jackson's camcorder. Simpler times.

• Like 4

We've been rewatching SG-1 again, currently on Season 6.  This makes our 7th or 8th run through the series. 

I rather like RDA's O'Neill.  Russell's O'Neill is the angry guy trying to cope with the recent loss of his child.  RDA's O'Neill is him after having some time to heal.   There are a few times in the series where RDA's O'Neill is more like Russell's portrayal - the angry kick butt guy coming back to the surface. 

• Like 4

Agreed with kristof on Mac'Neill. I like that version of the character; he's in a better place. I couldn't have survived eight season of Russell's O'Neill tbh, too dark.

Season 1 is generally regarded as one of the weaker seasons, though I think it picks up toward the end. Season 2 is an immediate improvement, and the show peaks shortly thereafter. 2-5 is golden era, I guess, with 6-7 silver.

...dang, I wanna restart SG-1 now. 👀

• Like 2

Just finished season one of the 1994 tv show Hawkeye (the literary one, not the comic book one...) starring Lee Horsely, Rodney A. Grant and Linda Carter. Still a pretty decent show. Some decent acting, lot of well-known guest stars. And Linda Carter is freakin' gorgeous and looks amazing in a corset, lol.

Now I've started 1979's The Adventures of Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, starring Gil Gerard and Erin Grey. Forgot how much I loved that show, lol. Awesomely cheesy theme song, lol.  Fun Fact: the voice of the robot Twiki is done by Mel Blanc... Third episode in and they've got Roddy McDowell AND Jack Palance guest-starring... :blink: Next episode the guest star is Cesar Romero...

After that, I've got the first season of Charmed on the top of the pile...

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

Just finished season one of the 1994 tv show Hawkeye (the literary one, not the comic book one...) starring Lee Horsely, Rodney A. Grant and Linda Carter. Still a pretty decent show. Some decent acting, lot of well-known guest stars. And Linda Carter is freakin' gorgeous and looks amazing in a corset, lol.

Now I've started 1979's The Adventures of Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, starring Gil Gerard and Erin Grey. Forgot how much I loved that show, lol. Awesomely cheesy theme song, lol.  Fun Fact: the voice of the robot Twiki is done by Mel Blanc... Third episode in and they've got Roddy McDowell AND Jack Palance guest-starring... :blink: Next episode the guest star is Cesar Romero...

Yah BB/25th was one of my favorite shows. I loved watching it around 3 pm back in the day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mad Jack said:

That's when I caught it back in the '80's - midday reruns. I think it was on Saturdays.

Here it was M to F. For years, I went to my grandmother's (she lived out of town) for the summer & I'd watch it over at her place.

• Like 1

Finished Season 4 of Rick vs Morty.  It can be very dark at times.  I can't wait for season 5 to come in a way I can watch.  

I also started Samurai Jack from the beginning, since I haven't seen the most recent seasons.  I'm really enjoying it so far.  I love the animation in it, it holds up well.

• Like 1

Just saw the trailer for the final season of Lucifer. Ten more episodes before a good thing has an end. Comes out on September 10th on Netflix. Excited it's coming back, yet sad to see it go.

Also saw the trailer for the second season of The Witcher. Have to wait until December 17th for that one.

• Like 4

Just so y'all know what power you apparently hold over me, after the talk here of SG-1, I now am sitting right at the end of season 8. It's been a fun ride. Don't know if I'll watch the Ori seasons or not. Will almost certainly watch at least a couple Atlantis seasons first. But. Some takeaways:

Season 3 is the best season. 7 is probably the other best.

The Jonas Quinn era really wasn't that bad, for the most part. Still weird that all the women seemed to want to bang him tho.

Yu is my favorite system lord. I can't really explain why.

Everybody hates clip shows and all, but I swear Stargate did them better than just about anybody. They yielded up some of my favorite moments in the series, actually, between Kinsey's run-in with Thor and the Homer Simpson one.

Teal'c is my favorite character on the show by far. Christopher Judge is great.

And... anyway. Good times.

• Like 3

On 7/25/2021 at 12:37 PM, Mad Jack said:

I have been enjoying the first season of Charmed.  Its not the greatest thing since sliced bread but it isn't bad.  I do find the characters suffer from 1 note personalities: the innocent one, the angry one, the logical one.  No real human being is that single noted all the time.  But, overall, what I have seen hasnt been bad.  

I always liked Buck Rogers in all his forms and those shows can be a lot of fun (have to see where i can find that).  The whole concept was a lot of cheesy fun that was intended to be cheesy fun!

On an obscure note, I was pointed away from a show called Scorch recently, someone calling it really bad, so of course i had to go hunt it down!  Truth be told, I have seen a lot worse.  the dragon is a ventrloquist act and the actor does a pretty good job of it.  Besides the intro song is pretty fun.  OTOH i am not sure if the author of ALF should be suing Scorch or Scorch should be suing ALF but somebody stole somebodies idea!

the only Anime I have been watching currently is the Seven Deadly Sins finished the first season and working my way through the second.  I am hoping that it picks up the momentum it had in season 1 and doesn't devolve into the showcase of dramatic persona that so many anime shows, and the second half of the season 2 is looking more promising but I may have to give up on that one.  In the second season you could go from episode 2 to episode 9 and you would not lose any important plot points.  Its typical but really sad when that happens.

• Like 4

What If...? ep1 was fun. Nice... I don't wanna call it filler, but kinda filler as we wait for the next big thing.

Lower Decks, season 2, ep 1 - The beginning of what might be a whole year of new weekly Star Trek. A great start to the season. Really love this show. It's such a love letter to everything Trek.

• Like 4