What's on TV?

Marvin

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/2/2021 at 4:31 PM, aku-chan said:

Late to the party as usual, but I've started watching The Boys.

I'm not a big fan of the original comics (they come across too much like angry fan-fiction for me), so I'm surprised by how much I'm enjoying the show so far.

Now to see if I enjoy the rest.

I'm of a similar opinion, but I arrived there in reverse.  I watched the show and enjoyed it, so I got the first few comics.  It was very "meh".  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Unit04 said:

I'm of a similar opinion, but I arrived there in reverse.  I watched the show and enjoyed it, so I got the first few comics.  It was very "meh".  

Yeah, I think the show doing pretty much it's own thing was a wise choice.

4 episodes in and I'm still really enjoying it.

• Like 2

I finished Star Wars: Visions.  While it is neat, like any anthology show, enjoyment can vary greatly from one episode to the next.  I think my favorite was The Ninth Samurai, and I enjoyed a few more, but on the whole they dove a bit too deep into the (worst) anime tropes for me.  Overall a very solid "meh" rating from me.

I'm also about halfway through the first season of The Doom Patrol and I'm really enjoying it.  Another "Super Hero, but Not Really" show, but done differently enough to be interesting.    

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Unit04 said:

I finished Star Wars: Visions.  While it is neat, like any anthology show, enjoyment can vary greatly from one episode to the next.  I think my favorite was The Ninth Samurai, and I enjoyed a few more, but on the whole they dove a bit too deep into the (worst) anime tropes for me.  Overall a very solid "meh" rating from me.

I'm also about halfway through the first season of The Doom Patrol and I'm really enjoying it.  Another "Super Hero, but Not Really" show, but done differently enough to be interesting.    

I've still got a couple episodes of Visions to go. 

Not quite sure why I'm determined to finish them, I've found most of them to be a bit boring.

• Like 2

Doom Patrol is fun to watch.

Just finished binging Leverage: Redemption, and I liked it. Very much just a continuation of the greatness that was the original show.

Next up is the first season of Deadwood...  Haven't seen it yet but I've been meaning to get around to it for a long time.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 3

Only Murders in the Building has been better than expected.  It's a traditional "whodunnit" mystery show set in present day New York. It stars Steve Martin, Martin Short, and Selena Gomez as quirky, distant neighbors who come together to solve an unexpected murder in their apartment building.   While it's billed as a comedy it's more dark than that, and it's not the screwball humor you remember from Steve Martin's "wild and crazy guys" days.   The story unfolds slowly, so if the first half hour episode doesn't grab you, give episode 2 a shot.  The show is very well produced and has several celebrity guest appearances. 

• Like 5

Doesn't matter how many times I watch it, I can rewatch seasons of Castle over and over again. Is it Nathan Fillion's pure charm? How well-written the show was? Or the fact that it makes me feel approximately a decade younger when I watch season one? Possibly all of the above.

The Lifetime channel has definitely picked up it's offerings with Castle and Rizzoli & Isles.

• Like 2

On 10/18/2021 at 3:46 PM, Rob Dean said:

I finished up the season of Star Trek: Lower Decks over the weekend.  I’ve been enjoying going back to my Trek roots lately, being in the camp of people who have been enjoying the recent series.  

I watched a lot of The Next Generation growing up, but I'm not a Trekie by any means.  Still, I enjoy Lower Decks a lot and I just finished season 2.  

Inside Job is another good show on Netflix.  It is about a 30ish yr old woman who's in charge of keeping the world's conspiracies hidden.  It has a bit of a Rick and Morty vibe as she has to deal with her divorced, alcoholic dad who has moved in with her, but it is its own show.  

• Like 3

So does one need to know anything special about the Wheel of Time books for the show series that debuts on Amazon Prime in about 2 days? Never read it, only vaguely recall my eldest brother owning them growing up (he didn't share). I'd read a synopsis of the world, but that usually ends up with my reading too far and hitting spoilers (I'm just too curious, can't stop myself).

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

So does one need to know anything special about the Wheel of Time books for the show series that debuts on Amazon Prime in about 2 days? Never read it, only vaguely recall my eldest brother owning them growing up (he didn't share). I'd read a synopsis of the world, but that usually ends up with my reading too far and hitting spoilers (I'm just too curious, can't stop myself).

I've been waiting 31 years for this to come to the screen.
You don't need to know anything in advance.  It is supposed to be fine for someone who has never read the books.  In some ways it may even be better that way, as you won't know what to expect and you won't know what they've changed (this is definitely an adaptation of the series, not that that is necessarily a good or bad thing, just that it will be different in lots of little (or not so little, who knows) ways.

Amazon is behind it enough that season 2 is filming now and rumour is that season 3 has already been greenlit. The full series of books is 13 novels, so there is a lot of material.  And it is complete, unlike what happened with a certain HBO series.

If you don't know it, I'd stay away from any research.  With it having been out this long, and as well known, spoilers abound. 

I'm not saying I'm excited for this launch, but I did book Friday off from work.....

Edited by Jasper_the_2nd
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1