What's on TV?

Marvin

2 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

You don't need to know anything in advance.

Good to know, thank you very much. I'll wait and watch the series first, and see if that makes me want to read the books. (I do like to know the differences, they always combine several characters into one in adaptations.)

And it is complete, unlike what happened with a certain HBO series.

We don't like to talk about that... because it's really the only ending we're likely to ever get to that book series.

I'm not saying I'm excited for this launch, but I did book Friday off from work.....

Can't blame you for taking time off, though they are sadly only releasing the first three episodes this week, and then one per week until the season is finished (8 episodes total).

• Like 2

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Good to know, thank you very much. I'll wait and watch the series first, and see if that makes me want to read the books. (I do like to know the differences, they always combine several characters into one in adaptations.)

Just from the trailers you can tell they have tweaked somethings.  Some possibly to speed up the reveals of something, that kind of things.  Others are obviously scenes that don't actually occur in the first book at all (or in the series). I'm assuming they felt they needed them.  I'm not opposed to them making changes, some folks really don't like that.  As long as it tells a good story, and doesn't completely butcher the original, of course. 

We don't like to talk about that... because it's really the only ending we're likely to ever get to that book series.

I don't wish any ill will to Mr. Martin, but that series may not ever get finished unless it goes the same route as the Wheel of Time did.  Basically Mr. Jordan received a terminal diagnosis while still struggling with "the final book" (he's said he refused to split it up no matter how big it had to be).  He had a meeting where he laid out the main plot points to a select few.  And passed away before completing a first draft.  His wife and the publishers brought in Branden Sanderson who did a very good job of completing the series (it ended up being 3 more books.).

Can't blame you for taking time off, though they are sadly only releasing the first three episodes this week, and then one per week until the season is finished (8 episodes total).

I'm pretty glad (mostly) that they are not releasing them all at once.  Since I'd binge them all this weekend if they were all out, and then be sad to have to wait SO LONG for season 2.
That there are only 8 episodes was a surprise, as the first book is a chunky beast and covers a lot of stuff.  From a couple of non-spoiler reviews from the global premieres I've seen, they said the pacing was a little rushed, at least in episode 1.
I'm hoping that it is successful enough that later seasons get a little longer.  I think 12 episodes might have been a better number per book.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

I don't wish any ill will to Mr. Martin, but that series may not ever get finished unless it goes the same route as the Wheel of Time did.  Basically Mr. Jordan received a terminal diagnosis while still struggling with "the final book" (he's said he refused to split it up no matter how big it had to be).  He had a meeting where he laid out the main plot points to a select few.  And passed away before completing a first draft.  His wife and the publishers brought in Branden Sanderson who did a very good job of completing the series (it ended up being 3 more books.).

I did read about Mr. Jordan, and yeah, you can't blame him at all for not completing it before his passing. I'm glad he had the forethought to lay out what he intended the conclusion to be.

As for Mr. Martin, I think he's let being called "the American Tolkien" go to his head (and his wallet) and I curse the reviewer who ever called him that. There is a fantastic video of him on a panel with Stephen King where his mouth drops open when King reveals how many pages he produces each week. Yep, King was born to be a writer. Not that Martin isn't good at it, he just doesn't seem to want to finish the first story so he can move on to tell the next one. When/if the book finally comes out, I'm going to be like, "Oh really? Well, no rush to read it, I'll have plenty of time between the next one to do so."

1 hour ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

I'm pretty glad (mostly) that they are not releasing them all at once.  Since I'd binge them all this weekend if they were all out, and then be sad to have to wait SO LONG for season 2.

The problem is, the day the last episode is released (Dec. 17th by my count), well, that's the day season 2 of The Witcher is released... and I am definitely binging that, so that they have good numbers to go ahead with subsequent seasons. I'll probably watch it twice that week alone: once on the 17th, and then throughout the week with my dad (I need to watch beforehand so I can explain to him what is going on, his hearing is so-so).

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

I did read about Mr. Jordan, and yeah, you can't blame him at all for not completing it before his passing. I'm glad he had the forethought to lay out what he intended the conclusion to be.

As for Mr. Martin, I think he's let being called "the American Tolkien" go to his head (and his wallet) and I curse the reviewer who ever called him that. There is a fantastic video of him on a panel with Stephen King where his mouth drops open when King reveals how many pages he produces each week. Yep, King was born to be a writer. Not that Martin isn't good at it, he just doesn't seem to want to finish the first story so he can move on to tell the next one. When/if the book finally comes out, I'm going to be like, "Oh really? Well, no rush to read it, I'll have plenty of time between the next one to do so."

Yeah, I'm a big fan of Pat Rothfuss, but he's at about 1 novel every 10 years.  He even jokes about his "rivalry" with Brandon Sanderson, who puts out more books a year than I can usually keep up with.....

16 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

The problem is, the day the last episode is released (Dec. 17th by my count), well, that's the day season 2 of The Witcher is released... and I am definitely binging that, so that they have good numbers to go ahead with subsequent seasons. I'll probably watch it twice that week alone: once on the 17th, and then throughout the week with my dad (I need to watch beforehand so I can explain to him what is going on, his hearing is so-so).

Yeah, there is LOT coming out in the next month or two, so much I want to see.  My wife isn't big on binging.  She'd rather have a bunch of shows available and cycle through them.  That is easier for me if they aren't all sitting there available......

• Like 3

I just wrapped up the third season of Fringe... Over the past two weeks I've watched the whole series from the beginning. I'll probably clear out season four by the middle of next week.

After that, I'll be rewatching American Gods now that I've picked up the third season.

• Like 5

We watched the first episode of Wheel of Time.  They sure spent a lot on that set.  I have no idea how it compares to the books because I have not read them, but I understand they have a lot of material to work with so I hope they use it wisely.  It would be nice to have a good story and characters that develop (though I'm already seeing a lot of standard fantasy tropes) and not have the whole story arc devolve into angsty teenage drama.  Fingers crossed. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Cowboy Bebop is what I've been watching. Yup the Netflix one.  Never seen the original, I'll watch it afterwards. 

I've seen the original, and I've seen the very bad reviews it's getting.  We were a little hesitant to watch it last night,  but we took the plunge.  DH is a long-time fan and he enjoyed it.  He had nits to pick, but overall we liked it, and it seems to be staying close to the original. (At least what we've seen so far). 

The new season of Dr. Who, OTOH has been putting me to sleep. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've watched the first 3 Wheel of Time episodes.  I'm fairly happy with them so far.  A LOT of changes from the book, but generally seem to work.  There are few that bug me but maybe they will play into future episodes. So far the acting is excellent, the sets and settings are very good, the CGI is generally good.  The pacing of the first episode in particular seemed a little rushed (although they did find time to squeeze in at least 3 or 4 scenes not in the book). 
I'd give them a solid 7-8 out of 10 so far. Looking forward to the next one.

Also watched the first episode of the new season of Star Trek  Discovery.  It was interesting.  Not super clear where things are headed yet.  I believe I heard they were using a version of The Volume (the immersive stage concept created for The Mandalorian). If so I expect they made good use of it in the first episode.

Might have to check out Cowboy Bebop. I only watched the first episode of the anime so I doubt I'll be overly biased, and I often enjoy shows that get bad reviews......

Next up, Hawkeye starts on Wednesday, I think.

• Like 3

Live-action Bebop is an even bigger letdown than I expected. So far, anyway. Spoilering to avoid pooping the party for anyone enjoying it and not wanting to hear about it.

EDIT: forgot that typing in spoiler tags doesn't work on mobile (which is still lame and needs to be fixed). Sorry. Skip down a few paragraphs and/or stop reading here.

[spoiler]I'm a big fan of the anime (genuinely believe it ranks with whatever all-time great television you'd like to name), but even setting aside how badly they mangle the source material it's hard to watch at times. The writing has been so very bad, the fight scenes stilted and awkward, the cinematography and sets amateurish, and the casting--ugh. Jet is the bright spot. I think Cho is actually the worst--he's too old and obviously out of his element with the action. Kind of pitiful. Pineda caught all the flack, but it's the writing and costumers killing her worse than anything. And Vicious... well. Thank God he's not on-screen any more than he is.

It improves somewhat through the middle, when the writers change, but it's astonishing how little the guys in charge seem either to have understood or else to have cared about what made the original so great. The care just isn't there, the vibe. The music's great, but it doesn't even tie in thematically. Somebody on Twitter set some of the scenes to a laugh track, and that summed up pretty well for me how far off they are with the tone. For me, anyway.

Still got two or three episodes to watch, but it's been a less than stellar experience.[/spoiler]

Waiting for the whole season to drop before I try WoT. Started reading those books as a teen in the 90s, bailed after nine or ten, but always said I'd watch the movies if they ever made them lol. Heard some concerning things about the choices being made, but aiming to give it a try.

Finally started watching Castle, since they put it on Hulu. It's damn good! Formulaic but so much fun. Hurts my heart to know that Fillion and Katic actually hated each other irl. They're ttly adorbs together.

Witcher season 2 is the next thing coming up I'm looking forward to I guess.

Edited by Marvin
  • Like 2

On 11/17/2021 at 2:56 PM, Jasper_the_2nd said:

(this is definitely an adaptation of the series, not that that is necessarily a good or bad thing, just that it will be different in lots of little (or not so little, who knows) ways.

I like to think to myself it's a new turning of the wheel, and not the same one that was written about before 😉

• Like 5

Managed to find time to start and get through the current episode releases of The Wheel of Time. I'm intrigued enough to keep watching (though I am pretty sure I will be annoyed with some of the actors... Rand isn't really wowing me, I'm more interested in Perrin).

I'm going to have to get the first book to read it once the season is over. Feels like a lot of backstory is being left out due to trying to cram hundreds of pages of novel (I am given to understand that each book is quite lengthy) into 8 episodes, and I like to know backstory.

• Like 3