What's on TV?

Marvin

I haven't watched the original but I know some parts... So I can see some of why people would be annoyed by the Netflix live action version of Cowboy Bebop. 

I enjoyed all ten episodes, with the mechanic one being my favourite. 

Fun part will be watching the original next, and I've no idea if I'll decide to compare the two or just enjoy each on their own. 

• Like 3

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished Bebop and while I was not expecting much I was not disappointed. I really like the casting and I felt they were faithful when it mattered (perhaps too faithful) and went a bit out of left field on other points. I am very curious where season 2 goes.

I am half into Arcane and it is a grandslam of storytelling and animation. Dare I say everything about it is perfect. I suspect if I was a LoL player I woukd pick up on the Easter eggs 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 11/27/2021 at 5:27 PM, ManvsMini said:

Managed to find time to start and get through the current episode releases of The Wheel of Time. I'm intrigued enough to keep watching (though I am pretty sure I will be annoyed with some of the actors... Rand isn't really wowing me, I'm more interested in Perrin).

The actor is doing a pretty spot on job on Rand as per the first book.  That's how he comes across in the book too.  :poke:

Interesting that you find Perrin the more interesting.  His backstory is the most changed of all of them.  Seems maybe the changes are effective.

I watched the 5 episodes of part 2 of Masters of the Universe: Revelation on the weekend.  I thought it was as good as the first part.

Also the latest WoT and Star Trek Discovery.   Oh and the first 2 episodes of Hawkeye, if I haven't mentioned it already.....

• Like 3

On 11/28/2021 at 10:07 PM, Beowulfthehunter said:

I am half into Arcane and it is a grandslam of storytelling and animation. Dare I say everything about it is perfect. I suspect if I was a LoL player I woukd pick up on the Easter eggs 

I enjoyed Arcane a lot.  While I'm sure I missed a lot of Easter eggs, I'm glad I didn't know anyone's story going into it.  I felt like one of the characters in particular was underused but otherwise an excellent series.  

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Interesting that you find Perrin the more interesting.  His backstory is the most changed of all of them.  Seems maybe the changes are effective.

I'll spoiler my reply so as not to ruin anyone else's viewing experience. You've been warned, don't read it if you haven't been watching.

Spoiler

Seriously, don't read this if you haven't watched or are behind on The Wheel of Time episodes!

Right now, for me Perrin's got the most interesting things going on. PTSD from the whole thing with his wife, and he's got a wolf issue that is so far being beneficial. Rand was level-headed in episode one, became a whiny emo-kid for episode two when he started shouting "no no no!" (a mood swing that the series probably didn't build up very well), and now he's suddenly back to being a voice of reason in episode three... again, moody. Mat is interesting to an extent, he's probably got the best lines out of the group and a the most obvious problem. Nothing negative to say about Egwene, right now she just seems down to go along for the ride.

The gleeman might be my favorite character. Hope to see more of him.

I'll definitely keep watching. And dig up a copy of the first book once the first season wraps up so I can see the differences. After I watch The Witcher, of course. It's nice being spoiled for fantasy programs, especially ones that are based on completed works.

Props to whoever is doing the visual effects in WoT. I think the manner they've chosen to illustrate the effects are a nice touch.

• Like 2

I was not expecting to say this but...I do NOT recommend the new Cowboy Bebop live action show.  The first 9 episodes were fine.  They made some changes that made sense, some that didn't.  Small changes that left me with a "Han Shot First" vibe, where they really change a character or scene with a minor alteration.  It worked for what they were trying and although it wasn't as good as the original, it was a fine version.  After Episode 9, I was fully expecting to recommend Cowboy Bebop to my friends.  

Then episode 10 happened.  It really ruined the whole series for me.  They attempt to recreate the Spike v Vicious fight in the cathedral and it just does not work.  Not only that, but the changes made ruin one of the best fight scenes.  And the epilogue bits after the fight scene are also horrible.  

If the Cowboy Bebop anime brings you any joy, do not watch the live action version.

• Like 1

Live-action Bebop canceled, honestly to my surprise, and sorry to everyone enjoying it, but pressing S to spit.

I'd have kept watching, hoping it would get better, but this is a more satisfying conclusion tbh. I think the head-writer dude (who deserves a good flogging all around) was pretty obviously trying to go hard girl-boss khaleesi there for season two, and it was just such a horrid choice. Seriously dulled the oh-well goodwill I'd managed to work up prior to that episode.

• Like 1

Binged the second season of The Witcher yesterday. Personally, I think the first season was better (I liked the disjointed and converging timelines in that season), but this one was still enjoyable (departing from source material, fairly significantly in places). Will have to watch it through a second time to see if I feel the same and what I missed.

• Like 5

Watched season 2 of The Witcher. Enjoying the show overall other than some of the casting. I just finished reading the 5 original books and can understand why many fans are upset with the storyline changes and casting. Never played any of the games although I may start soon because my kid bought the first 2 on sale. Sometimes (often?) it's better not having an emotional attachment to a franchise when big companies get ahold of them and do their adaptations. Words that always scare me from Hollywood "based on". Means a few names and situations my have a slight resemblance to the source material. But even with it's flaws I'm liking it more than a lot of things I've seen lately and looking forward to seeing more.

• Like 8

21 hours ago, Zink said:

Watched season 2 of The Witcher. Enjoying the show overall other than some of the casting. I just finished reading the 5 original books and can understand why many fans are upset with the storyline changes and casting. Never played any of the games although I may start soon because my kid bought the first 2 on sale.

Netflix has a "Making of Season 2" for The Witcher up, it explains why they made a few of the changes they did. It was worth watching. Most of the minor changes I didn't mind, others don't really make much sense to me. I wonder what Sapkowski thinks of the changes (he wasn't a fan of the computer games, though his opinion of computer games isn't high to begin with).

The games are pretty good, especially once you hit the second game (completely redone engine). If I recall, one of the producers for the game is one of the showrunners for the show.

And I didn't realize Henry Cavill insisted on doing all of his own stunts for season 1 (not sure if he did them all for season 2). That man's stock keeps rising.

• Like 6

Just started with the latest season of The Witcher.  Trying to keep up with the alternate timeline/flashbacks/whatever. 

Watched the first episode of Boba Fett, it will appeal to those who don't like dialog messing up their action shows.  I hope they're going somewhere with it and it's not fight-of-the-week.  Looks pretty good though, they put a lot of effort into the sets. 

Have seen most of Hawkeye and it's decent. They have a nice little story arc going though it feels like they are dragging out the reveal of the mystery villain a bit too long.  And if you think Kate Bishop is an annoying chatterbox, wait until Yelena shows up.....

Recorded the New Year's Dr Who but have not seen it yet. 

Watched all of season 1 of Vienna Blood, it was a pretty good period detective/mystery show.  Set in 1906 Austria it does a good job of touching on the race, class, and political issues of the time without beating you over the head with it.   Beautiful costumes and sets.  Season 2 comes out next week.

Looking forward to the next season of Discovery of Witches. 

About halfway through Cowboy Bebop.  Yes, it's different, but I'm enjoying it so far.  

Finished Wheel of Time. Enjoyed it, though it felt like they rushed through the end without much explanation.  Some of the early episodes dragged for no reason, when later episodes could have used more time to fill in what was going on.  Will check out season 2 if/when it comes around.

After 2 years, the new season of Father Brown begins this week.  I like a good cozy mystery. 

Also watched the first 2 episodes of Around the World in 80 Days, with David Tennant.  Needless to say, liberties were taken with the story  to update it for modern audiences. It starts a bit slow, like most journeys, but seems to be picking up steam. 

Edited by Inarah
  • Like 6