What's on TV?

Marvin

Some new and some old and some gently used:

My wife unexpectedly hopped on the Legend of Vox Machina wagon (she kept hearing about it on TikTok or something) and rushed me up on watching it. I am not a CR fan and had no real expectations beyond hoping it was okay and not too annoying. And, well. The vulgarity and forced humor were a bit much at first. But then.

Absolutely fantastic. The most delightful surprise I've had in years. Its the D&D adventure I've been wanting to see on the screen since I was in middle school, pretty much. So very highly recommend. I hope all the forthcoming official D&D properties are so good.

Wife's been after me to watch The Wheel of Time, too. I made the first episode the other day but haven't gotten further. Solidly ambivalent right now tbh.

But! I also recently discovered Chuck! Whyyyyyyyy did I never know of this show?! Why did no one tell me?! I'm absolutely in love with everything about it. Just started season 4. So much fun.

That and old episodes of the Drew Carey Whose Line Is It Anyway? have been my big downtime shows lately, with a little Space Ghost Coast to Coast thrown in for absurdity's sake (no, I am not high).

• Like 5

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Been watching Doom Patrol, I really enjoyed it despite the near constant swearing being a bit much for my poor innocent ears.

Still got Swamp Thing to watch, but that comes after I finally finish season 2 of Ash Vs. The Evil Dead and see a bit more of Carmen Sandiago.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, aku-chan said:

Been watching Doom Patrol, I really enjoyed it despite the near constant swearing being a bit much for my poor innocent ears.

Still got Swamp Thing to watch, but that comes after I finally finish season 2 of Ash Vs. The Evil Dead and see a bit more of Carmen Sandiago.

I was a Doom Patrol fan of the Original Comic books. Like you, I tired quickly of the swearing. And I spent 26+ years working in Corrections!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Corsair said:

I was a Doom Patrol fan of the Original Comic books. Like you, I tired quickly of the swearing. And I spent 26+ years working in Corrections!

And here was me wondering if I was just being extremely prudish like usual!

I'd never heard of the Doom Patrol before, I just liked the episode of Titans they were in (There's another 2nd season I need to finish).

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Marvin said:

But! I also recently discovered Chuck! Whyyyyyyyy did I never know of this show?! Why did no one tell me?! I'm absolutely in love with everything about it. Just started season 4. So much fun.

I had the same reaction when I finally watched it. Really wish I'd watched it when it was airing on TV all those years ago.

Fifth and final season of The Last Kingdom is up on Netflix. Will be interesting to see how they decide to end that, as it only adapts material mostly from 2 of the remaining 5 books in the series.

• Like 3

Throughly enjoying Resident Alien on SyFy Channel. Here's to hoping it gets renewed for a 3rd season. They just had their mid-season finale last week, so no more episodes till summer. 

• Like 1

I finally bowed down to the digital overlords and signed up for a streaming service.

So far I've watched Wandavision, which was really good, next is The Mandalorian.

I'm not much of a binge watcher, so it's going to take a while before I'm all caught up.

• Like 3

On 3/17/2022 at 10:49 AM, Corsair said:

I grew weary of it, too.  Swear words, like salt, should be used to enhance, not as filler to make up for bad writing.  And I didn't like or care about any of the characters. 

Tried to watch Vox Machina, and again, got tired of the language and didn't like or care about the characters. 

Finished up the latest seasons of The Witcher, and The Wheel of Time.  They get better as they go. 

Just finished season 2 of A Discovery of Witches, it's silly at times but manages to be interesting. 

Finally got through Around the World in 80 Days.  Wonderfully written classic fiction completely messed up by the BBC.  Why do directors insist on doing this when they have time tested and well loved stories to work with? Never mind. 

Enjoying Murder in Provence, despite the British actors playing French roles and completely not acting French.

Also enjoying Queens of Mystery.  The main character is a bit dopey, but the writing is solid. 

Watching the Father Brown spinoff, Sister Boniface.  Not as well written, but a nice light whodunnit. 

Really loving Reacher.  It's a bit bloody and violent, but the tension and suspense in the story is very well done. 

Still enjoying the documentaries on the Curiousity Channel streaming service.  All kinds of good stuff there. 

Started watching Boba Fett.  Trying to make myself care..... Couldn't watch Mandalorian either. 

• Like 2

On 3/25/2022 at 12:31 AM, Inarah said:

Really loving Reacher.  It's a bit bloody and violent, but the tension and suspense in the story is very well done. 

That's good to hear as it's on my list to watch. The books I have read have been good and from what I hear they are staying truer to them than the movies (greater emphasis on Reacher's physical size, which is always mentioned in the novels).

On 3/25/2022 at 12:31 AM, Inarah said:

Tried to watch Vox Machina, and again, got tired of the language and didn't like or care about the characters. 

I grew tired of the CR cast years ago (some, not all of them), so I figured missing this wouldn't kill me.

Tonight I watched Fiddler on the Roof for the first time (this could go in the movie thread, but it was on TV, so why not here). It was really good, the opportunity to watch it had never come along.

• Like 3

Watched the first episode of Signora Volpe (from Acorn TV).  Career MI5 agent takes leave to visit family and attend a niece's wedding.  When the groom goes missing things start to get interesting.  It's a nicely paced intrigue with a little drama.  Some swearing, violence, and a hint of sex, but really quite tame compared to most tv today.  If you want to sit down for a nice movie length suspense/mystery, this is for you. 

Harry Wild (also on Acorn) retires from decades of teaching English at the university and begins interfering in the latest murder case being manged by her police detective son.  Jane Seymour stars as quirky, blunt, and resourceful "Harry".  Some language and mild tv violence.  The cast is fresh and Seymour is delightful in this otherwise run of the mill weekly drama/mystery. 

Picard was a huge disappointment. If you haven't seen season 2 yet, do yourself a favor and don't watch it. 

• Like 1

I binged all the episodes of Only Murders in the Building this weekend (as of post, season 1 of 10 eps, and season 2 with 8 of 10 released) on Hulu. Why did I not get access to a Hulu account sooner? The show is fantastic and totally binge-worthy. Steve Martin and Martin Short still make a fantastic pairing, and this is the only thing I've ever seen Selena Gomez in, but she holds her own in it. No regrets!

• Like 2