Jump to content
Marvin

What's on TV?

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, strawhat said:

 

Too bad WB "lost" all the CGI files, various masters of the original film, etc.  The version on Prime suffers from this.  Most of the effects shots were never processed in widescreen, so the picture often suddenly goes very muddy/blurry and characters are improperly framed.  To be honest, I've never understood why WB treats the B5 property as poorly as it does.

 

Or, if you're just speaking as to the quality of the CGI, well, there's not much to be done about that.  They were ground-breaking at the time.  Most of the exterior shots worked well enough (or so I thought) although some of the blended shots don't work quite as well.

 

In the past I've always found Michael O'Hare's acting rather wooden, but it didn't seem quite so bad this time through.  O'Hare's performances still seem stiff, but better than I remember.

The way they treat B5 is a sin. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/24/2019 at 1:44 AM, Darsc Zacal said:

Discovery has been a real pleasure this season.

 

Whiskey Cavalier has been a nice surprise. Really been enjoying it. Liking the character casting, still sorry to see Maggie leave The Walking Dead though.

 

Gotham has been winding down it’s final season. Pretty obvious the writers never did have a series story arc figured out. A bit of a disappointment but still great casting.

 

Still enjoying The Orville and the new Magnum PI. The actor who played TC in the original series made a cameo in a recent episode and I was quite surprised by how much he had aged.

Made me feel old.

 

 

I'm right there with you about Whiskey Cavalier, Orville, and Magnum, although I stopped watching TWD a couple seasons ago.

 

I was all excited to see that Into the Badlands was starting last night and couldn't figure out why my DVR said that the new episode was Season 3, Episode 9, only to discover that there were actually 8 episodes played last fall that I didn't record! We switched cable companies last summer and apparently I didn't get Badlands set up to record I guess? I'd even gone so far as to take pics of my TV showing our old Series list before I switched companies so that I could reset them all w/the new DVR, but I guess I missed one. Luckily the old episodes were just added to Netflix so I'll catch up on them over lunch the next two weeks.

 

Oh, also 1 sad announcement if you haven't already seen/heard, the CW announced that next year will be Supernatural's final season.  When it ends with season 15 it will end up in the 10 longest running prime time TV shows (Tied w/several others at 15 yrs) and it will have run half again longer than X-Files, the next closest scifi/fantasy show. 

 

Funny note - it's actually older than the TV network it airs on, having premiered on the WB network before they changed to the CW.

Edited by Chrome
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been binging on the Blacklist. Wow, why didn't I start watching it when it originally aired? James Spader is brilliant, but for me the real cherry on top is the side-characters and the recurring people: Agent Mojtabai, Dembe, Mr. Kaplan, Glen at the DMV, and the guy who interrogates people for Red. And how have I not watched more shows/films with Harry Lennix in it? Fantastic show.

 

GIven that I only have 12 more episodes of that to go, looking for suggestions for something new on Netflix or Amazon to binge. Given the above discussion, which would you recommend to watch first: Babylon 5, or Star Trek Voyager? Never got around to watching either series.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

Been binging on the Blacklist. Wow, why didn't I start watching it when it originally aired? James Spader is brilliant, but for me the real cherry on top is the side-characters and the recurring people: Agent Mojtabai, Dembe, Mr. Kaplan, Glen at the DMV, and the guy who interrogates people for Red. And how have I not watched more shows/films with Harry Lennix in it? Fantastic show.

 

GIven that I only have 12 more episodes of that to go, looking for suggestions for something new on Netflix or Amazon to binge. Given the above discussion, which would you recommend to watch first: Babylon 5, or Star Trek Voyager? Never got around to watching either series.

As much as I love Star Trek, go with B5.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Crowley said:

As much as I love Star Trek, go with B5.

 

I second B5.  It is one of my favorites.  Just keep in mind that the series is from the mid '90's.  Story is great but the effects don't always hold up.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

startrek voyager was rubbish, to begin with.  

Babylon 5 approached a work of Art - but there are some rubbish episodes to get through. and the CGI is kinda painful now.  

it was a continuous plotline at its best, rare for the time for Sci-Fi. 

I should compare my season 2 CDs to what available streaming, I didn't realize it had gotten worse as well as aged poorly. 

 

I wish ST: discovery wasn't behind a paywall, I would love to try it.   

 

also Expanse is pretty good. (3 seasons on Amazon) 

My gaming group recommends giving Agents of Shield another try -  I loved the civil war plotline, but gave up 3 episodes into season 3 - If I want to watch it again I'm going to need to suffer through those 3 again. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watching Aggretsuko again, because man, it's fun to watch.. Doubly so after a stressful day at work. 

 

.. Even if the day wasn't all that stressful at work.. ^_^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Evilhalfling said:

startrek voyager was rubbish, to begin with. 

 

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Whoa.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another vote for B5, an excellent series. Watch for the appearance of the God of Frustration.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Evilhalfling said:

startrek voyager was rubbish, to begin with.  

Babylon 5 approached a work of Art - but there are some rubbish episodes to get through. and the CGI is kinda painful now.  

it was a continuous plotline at its best, rare for the time for Sci-Fi. 

I should compare my season 2 CDs to what available streaming, I didn't realize it had gotten worse as well as aged poorly. 

 

I wish ST: discovery wasn't behind a paywall, I would love to try it.   

 

also Expanse is pretty good. (3 seasons on Amazon) 

My gaming group recommends giving Agents of Shield another try -  I loved the civil war plotline, but gave up 3 episodes into season 3 - If I want to watch it again I'm going to need to suffer through those 3 again. 

 

Not a big fan of the paywall either, but I figure I'm willing to pay $6/month for Star Trek. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm halfway through Love, Death and Robots and it is amazing. Not for everyone, definitely adult, but very well written, well cast (voice actors) and engaging animation styles. Three Robots is possibly the best thing ever. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Blasted through to the start of season four of Farscape, and it's been glorious. They should've gotten Rockne O'Bannon to do the new Star Wars. Season 3 they throw in some nice little nods to SW and then actually hit a lot of imagery and stuff with the PKs I'm half convinced JJ actually ripped off for VII. And the writing is so much better. Ah, well.

 

Decided to take a little break tho and have been binging, on Hulu, the Musketeers series BBC did a few years ago. I'd like to take this opportunity to remind everyone that it's the best action-adventure show that's been on TV for freakin' years. So good. Great swashbuckling and romance and just good ol' fun. First season is perfect.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, another Aliens alum in B5: Ricco Ross, better known as PFC Ricco Frost, as an Earthforce Captain.

 

Also Bryan Cranston...as a member of the anla'shok.

 

I'm thinking it will be MST3K next--I need a break from the plot heavy.  Then Farscape.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Marvin said:

Decided to take a little break tho and have been binging, on Hulu, the Musketeers series BBC did a few years ago. I'd like to take this opportunity to remind everyone that it's the best action-adventure show that's been on TV for freakin' years. So good. Great swashbuckling and romance and just good ol' fun. First season is perfect.

 

Yep, Musketeers was awesome!

It's a shame Peter Capaldi dropped out after season one though (I thought he made a much better Cardinal than he did a Doctor).

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I enjoyed that iteration of Musketeers too. Thoroughly fun!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...