Sign in to follow this  
vejlin

Chili advice needed

gloves.  definitely.   I made the mistake when making curry with thai chilis once and went to take out my contacts later... ugh.  Never again. 

Owwwwww.

Never, ever will I consider contacts...

...how did you recover from that? submerge face in saline solution??

Do not use disposable latex gloves to prep these chilies. The oils will go right through the gloves onto your skin.

Wear kitchen gloves. The kind you use to do the dishes. Or clean the toilet. You might want to toss them if these chilies are as intense as Baugi says.

If I was given these chilies, I'd probably toss them. And I usually put chipotle in most of my food. Because it's yummy.

Seriously, don't end up in the emergency room.

• Like 3

I'd dry them. I dry lots of peppers the traditional way of just stringing them. After they are dry I store them in plastic bags. You don't have to boil them to reconstitute them. I just fill a container with hot tap water and let them soak a few hours or overnight. Boiling a pepper that hot makes steam that is like breathing pepper spray.

• Like 2

I ended uo tossing my oil. I had just quartered the chilis and tossed them in a bottle of oil without properly researching what I was doing.

Aparently whole raw chili in a bottle of oil is a good way to get botulism,which I am not in a hurry to experience. Next time I will dry them first. I do think the oil is the way to go though and what little I did taste before learing I had made biological warfare agents, was pretty darn good. Intensely hot, considering how little chili I had used and that the oil had only been in contact with it for about a day.

• Like 5

I ended uo tossing my oil. I had just quartered the chilis and tossed them in a bottle of oil without properly researching what I was doing.

Aparently whole raw chili in a bottle of oil is a good way to get botulism,which I am not in a hurry to experience. Next time I will dry them first. I do think the oil is the way to go though and what little I did taste before learing I had made biological warfare agents, was pretty darn good. Intensely hot, considering how little chili I had used and that the oil had only been in contact with it for about a day.

Wow I didnt know about the botulism part..

So does this count for other food as well like raw garlic in oil?

• Like 1

Yeah, do NOT preserve in oil, the anaerobic environment is a recipe for death by pooping.

Now, steeping in oil for some hours before, then throwing leftovers away, is perfectly acceptable; just prepare garlic and chili oils fresh, and discard remains.

Edited by smokingwreckage
  • Like 2

I'd do some careful research before committing to the idea that dried is necessarily safe, Kim. Botulism is a tricky and resilient bugger. Most of the preservation methods to avoid it rely on creating an environment where it can't grow, even if present; this means acidity more often than not.

OK, here's official government advice. They advise working with dried ingredients:

http://umaine.edu/publications/4385e/

• Like 2

Sorry forgot to mention the shelf life thingy......

But yes it can grow nasty aerobic bugs.... but storing in the fridge makes it last longer.

• Like 1

You can also add to vinegar.  That doesn't grow bugs and flavours the vinegar nicely, in a similar fashion to the oil....

• Like 1

Seems it can also happen with garlic.

I have heard about it with garlic. I never keep garlic + oil around for longer than a day or so.

I didn't know it was true for chili too.

• Like 2

Infused oils last much longer than other perishable foods. If you refrigerate it it should last at least a month. If it is heat infused it can last even longer. Also the heat infused kind can be preserved longer by canning.

• Like 1