Loth

Loth's Gynopacolypse - or struggling to paint with lots of little girls

Hello All,

Thought I'd place some pics of things I've been painting or getting around to painting. I usually paint these mini's for either tabletop RPG (D&D and Shadowrun currently) and wargaming (Infinity and Warhammer  :down: ). I am a long time lurker here and really haven't been able to get my stuff together and get all my mini's painted. Guess that means I have a long life ahead of me.

So my goal is to try and paint two mini's per week, something that goes with one of my armies or something just ridiculous. I enjoy reading everyone's posts and see how helpful it is for people to keep their notes and progress in public. Helps keep one motivated. Which gets back to the title, I've got three little girls all under the age of 11, so getting any freetime to get painting done is a struggle but its very relaxing...mostly. 

So first off I'll show what I did last week; its a twofer picture with something from Reaper and another from Corvus Belli. The Reaper mini (left) is #50082 - Cobra, Modern Ninja and the CB mini is the Pan Oceania Spec Ops guy. I've been using the Reaper Triads paints because it makes a lot of my paint matching/blending fairly easy. It's hard to tell but the front of the Spec Ops guy has the PanO symbol but the sunlight washed it out...

post-12085-0-21091400-1439826347_thumb.jpg

Here they are from the back. Not sure why but I got a bug in my bun about naming my PanO guys since they're for a skirmish game and now I'm painting it onto the back of all my human mini's.

post-12085-0-27236600-1439826569_thumb.jpg

So my current WiP is #60010, the Lamia, Xeno...something, should have written the name down. I'm also doing a Corvus Belli Croc man with a boarding shotgun (no image yet). For those of you who play Warhammer or are familiar with the rules, I'm using her as a Fiend of Slaanesh. The army colors are primarily blue and white with occasional Orange or green highlights and the bases are snow and rock. 

While doing research on snakes I discovered a couple of things, snakes can be really really colorful and each scale can be multiple colors (hooray I don't have to stay inside the lines). So for reference I'm basing her scales on a Malaysian Blue Coral snake (http://static2.fjcdn.com/comments/Yu+like+yes+_4b8ff5f3cf8402d156eb7d9c2f31d30d.jpg) . The difficulty I find myself having right now is what colors to paint her belly scales. 

post-12085-0-74924200-1439828053_thumb.jpg

Any suggestions? 

Thanks for looking and feel free to make comments.

Loth

• Like 14

Well I will cease to complain about the lack of quiet paint time induced by my one 7 year old son :-)  Welcome to the board as a non-lurker!  Looks like you're off to a good start.

I clicked on your pic link and noticed another poster came under it and said that is actually a California red sided garter snake.  I Googled that and clicked on images and got a LOT of pics, some of which show the underbelly, which are teal in the first few pics that show it.  I didn't look any further so there may be others, so feel free to check it out yourself if you're wanting to stick to the natural color scheme.  The color you have on there now is pretty close to some of what I saw, but personally I would dim down the underbelly to make the other colors a little more prominent.

• Like 1

Thanks for taking the time to look.

@ Froggy - the title is brought out by my better half, she gets credit for the creativity.

@ Matbar - Thanks for the welcome! Its a fantasy figure so I figure that I'll be inspired by the image. If I wanted to stick to reality too much I wouldn't be painting and playing with little toys ::D:

Ok so I did some more painting and going with the suggestion of teal from Matbar I went with it. Overall I added an orange wash on her hair, black wash on the metal, added highlight colors on the spots and painted most of the base material so I could see how the colors looked. Still to do on her, hair, metal's, ribbons, gemstones, etc., etc., lol

post-12085-0-52390900-1439902885_thumb.jpg

and from behind

post-12085-0-26502300-1439902898_thumb.jpg

The other mini I'm working on is the Corvus Belli PanO Croc Man, a diving infiltrator (think SEAL but not as dangerous). He's supposed to be Polynesian but I'm hesitant to start doing all of the tattoo's needed (need to check if I have a micropen). This is one of their earlier sculpts and comparative to what they're making now, the detail is poor (understand its really good but you can tell they've gotten better in some of their more modern sculpts). Things to do for him, tattoos, red light highlights, edging.

post-12085-0-69177900-1439902904_thumb.jpg

and from behind

post-12085-0-77122000-1439902908_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking and comments!

Loth

• Like 7

Yeah, I didn't figure you were TOO worried about realism, as you said, painting little figures and of mythical creatures no less.  But taking that particular color scheme from nature was inspired.  She is beautiful.  Lightening up the belly made the other colors really stand out.  I like your SEAL as well, I'm just more into fantasy creatures and such.

Edited by Matbar
  • Like 1

Thanks for the comments;

@Matbar - I prefer fantasy characters as well but I'm trying new things.

@David - Thank you sir!

I worked remote yesterday which was nice as it gave me more time to paint in between calls so yay. First up I did the Croc man, putting tattoos on his arm. Micro pens FTW!. Then I notice his paint chipped at his ankle, which was disappointing. I have to say that the tattoos aren't the greatest but they get the idea across and for a gaming miniature it looks alright at 3 feet  ::D: So I need to fix his right ankle, put a wash over the tattoo's so they look more flesh tones, edges and highlights and sculpt more for his base.

post-12085-0-14417500-1439988376_thumb.jpg

post-12085-0-29529600-1439988375_thumb.jpg

For the Lamia I got a lot done! I did her hair, metal, ribbons and jewels. Got a base color mix on her staff - thinking of going back and just making it brown with some slight highlights. Also I'm not liking the rays on her mask, they're bleeding out to be almost invisible. Maybe I go back and make them teal blue like her body? On the base I've got to color the stone and the Alien landscape and put some dark blue water around the stone.

post-12085-0-29191700-1439988377_thumb.jpg

post-12085-0-15272600-1439988374_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Loth

• Like 12

I worked remote yesterday which was nice as it gave me more time to paint in between calls so yay.

I like how you think! The lamia is looking great. The scales and hair are eye-catching.

• Like 1

@ Brother Jim - I think you're right, I'll get back at it tonight.

@ Mierot - thanks, if the opportunity is there best take advantage of it lol.

Loth

So I finished up painting them for the most part; just need some final touches when I complete their basing. First is the Croc Man. I rushed this mini and am not very happy with the paint but its good enough for Table top and gaming so no complaints there. Now I just have to finish its base.

post-12085-0-97114900-1440074743_thumb.jpg

post-12085-0-93631500-1440074739_thumb.jpg

And here's the base - at least prepainted, just finished sculpting it before taking the pic.

post-12085-0-96605300-1440074740_thumb.jpg

And here's the Lamia, it still needs ice and snow to match the rest of my army - yes I know its tropical in a snow environment but its for an army so  :B):

I'll admit I lacked creativity when I decided on my basing scheme, rocks and snow over water but when you're looking at 100+ guys you go for quick. I painted the rays on her mask the teal blue to stand out, so thanks to Brother Jim.

post-12085-0-95543100-1440074741_thumb.jpg

post-12085-0-93625000-1440074742_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking and comments,

Loth

• Like 8

Loth,  I feel your pain man, with a 7, 5, and 2 year old at home, most of my painting is done during down time at work right now.  :(

• Like 1

@Osugambit - Wow yours' are close in age, there is no time off there for you! My oldest is 11 and youngest just turned 1, so I've got a little helper ^_^

So I finally got some time to get these done. I've discovered if I'm going to post on a forum I should probably get a light box or make one. These were not easy to make legible and finally I just gave up and decided close enough was close enough!!

So first is the lamia, just had to add some snow and put a shine on the gemstones.

post-12085-0-02358900-1440294560_thumb.jpg

post-12085-0-41204200-1440294560_thumb.jpg

And then my PanO Croc - I'm not entirely happy with him but close enough, hooray for table top. I normally name my guys so that's why there's writing on the back.

post-12085-0-76540700-1440294560_thumb.jpg

post-12085-0-12016700-1440294561_thumb.jpg

Any comments or criticisms appreciated and thanks for looking.

Loth

• Like 4