Basius & Basius 2 Stamp Pads Bases and Terrain

ub3r_n3rd

Man, I have yet another thing to spend money on now.  Has anyone tried Hot Glue?

I don't know how they'd take to hot glue and I wouldn't experiment with hot glue on my Basius. They are wonderful tho and totally worth the money. I'd jump in on it if I didn't already have 4.

I would suggest a 1:1 mix of greenstuff and milliput.  I have found it seems easier to work with and holds better detail than either on its own.

Good to know, I'll do that from now on. Anything to make the green stuff stretch a little further, stuffs expensive :-)
  • Like 2

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Necroposting to celebrate the basius 2.5 arrival!

I have tried yellow-green milliput so far. I found water wasn't a really adequate mold release agent, I'll be trying vaseline or maybe olive oil tonight. Very happy with the results even so. I'm not sure what greenstuff would offer over yellow-green

• Like 3

I used two of the Basius 1 set for a commission a whiles back....

I kind of wish that I had made the two part of the price - they were really quite good, and fun to use into the bargain.

But, sadly, I did not think of that at the time, and sent them off with the painted minis. *Sigh* Heck, I wish that I had made some bases for myself when I was working on the commission. ::(: (My good lady and I were getting handfasted that month - my mind was not on making bases for myself.)

Looks like the Wargamesbakery.Co.UK site has vanished and the Wargamesbakery.Co site never opened.... Weird, given that the Kickstarters were both successful, and have either fulfilled or in the process of doing so.

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 1

I used two of the Basius 1 set for a commission a whiles back....

I kind of wish that I had made the two part of the price - they were really quite good, and fun to use into the bargain.

But, sadly, I did not think of that at the time, and sent them off with the painted minis. *Sigh* Heck, I wish that I had made some bases for myself when I was working on the commission. ::(: (My good lady and I were getting handfasted that month - my mind was not on making bases for myself.)

Looks like the Wargamesbakery.Co.UK site has vanished and the Wargamesbakery.Co site never opened.... Weird, given that the Kickstarters were both successful, and have either fulfilled or in the process of doing so.

The Auld Grump

Apparently, they are currently rebuilding their website. If you click on the "Find us here!" link on their Kickstarter page, it takes you to their temporary hub. ::):

• Like 4

Necroposting to celebrate the basius 2.5 arrival!

I have tried yellow-green milliput so far. I found water wasn't a really adequate mold release agent, I'll be trying vaseline or maybe olive oil tonight. Very happy with the results even so. I'm not sure what greenstuff would offer over yellow-green

Eager to hear how the vaseline goes. I just got some but haven't tried it yet. Using water with milliput it was hard to get crisp details.

A couple milliput tips I've learned so far...

1. It's a good idea to wait for the milliput to harden a bit (assuming you don't have the quick drying stuff) so it's less mushy when you pull it off.

2. Using the same old tooth brush you use to clean your minis works pretty well on the basius pads to get the milliput traces off without messing with your detail or leaving anything behind (as sponges and paper towels will on the rough edges).

I'll post back when I've attempted the vaseline and actually succeeded. So far just pulled some bad prints off I wasn't happy with for the mini I'm working on and keep having to go somewhere and have to give up.

• Like 1

Eager to hear how the vaseline goes. I just got some but haven't tried it yet. Using water with milliput it was hard to get crisp details.

I tried Green Stuff, 50:50 Apoxie Sculpt/Green Stuff, and Apoxie Sculpt using Vaseline yesterday.

It worked okay with Green Stuff and 50:50 Apoxie Sculpt/Green Stuff but I think Vaseline is too thick for the amount of detail on the forest pad and it is hard to not get so much on that it obscures the detail.

The Apoxie Sculpt stuck even with Vaseline and cracked in places when pressed into the mold.

Next time I am going to try putting Olive Oil in an atomizer instead of Vaseline.

I still have Yellow-Grey, Silver-Grey, & Superfine White Milliput to try as well.

• Like 1

Okay just tried vaseline and wanted to provide feedback. Seems to work very well. Put the milliput on the base, then spread a little vaseline on the top of the milliput and some more on the Basius pad. Then crammed it down as hard as I could. I'll post a pic of the base and the guy standing in it when it dries.

I need to perfect my technique of getting the guy on the base which you'll see when I post photos, but I had made so many attempts at this guy's base I just wanted to be done with it.

• Like 4

Putting the vaseline on the putty instead of the pad is a great idea. I found that on the pad, the vaseline was too thick and didn't get into the cracks. I am going to try mineral oil on the pad when I get home, I plan to put a dollop of warm thin oil on the pad and cover the whole surface like I might a baking dish. Then I can press several bases at once and recoat when done

• Like 5

Here's my poor photo of how the base turned out.

post-13639-0-29638700-1452047622_thumb.jpg

post-13639-0-77877400-1452047622.jpg

It turned out pretty well. The vaseline really helped (don't have photos of the pads I rejected when I was only using water).

My plan was to carve out little spikes underneath his feet and stick him in the milliput with the spikiness and a little super glue. But I left a little too much under his feet and used a little too much superglue which left the pooling effect you see. So I still need to figure that out for future minis.

• Like 4

My plan was to carve out little spikes underneath his feet and stick him in the milliput with the spikiness and a little super glue. But I left a little too much under his feet and used a little too much superglue which left the pooling effect you see. So I still need to figure that out for future minis.

You can soak up most of the excess super glue with a dry paper towel if you get it early enough.

If you are really careful you can file or sand away what is left without damaging the base the next day when the glue has fully set.

Don't leave the towel very long or use a wet one or you run the risk of gluing a piece of it down.

Be careful where you set the towel down as well, if it is still wet you can glue it to something that way too.

If the surface does not match the feet enough you can pin it to the base so you don't need to use a large puddle of glue to fill the gap.

Edited by arclance
  • Like 2

You can soak up most of the excess super glue with a dry paper towel if you get it early enough.

If you are really careful you can file or sand away what is left without damaging the base the next day when the glue has fully set.

Don't leave the towel very long or use a wet one or you run the risk of gluing a piece of it down.

Be careful where you set the towel down as well, if it is still wet you can glue it to something that way too.

If the surface does not match the feet enough you can pin it to the base so you don't need to use a large puddle of glue to fill the gap.

Thanks I'll try to sop up the glue next time. I was making little spikes in order to avoid pinning haha, I sort of hate pinning. Also don't think I have wire or a hand drill small enough for a humanoid sized creature. The only stuff I've pinned has been giants or larger where I could use paperclips and a normal drill. I've been meaning to chase down smaller gauge wire and a hand drill just haven't gotten around to it yet. Edited by Jessie
  • Like 1

I tried Green Stuff, 50:50 Apoxie Sculpt/Green Stuff, and Apoxie Sculpt using Vaseline yesterday.

It worked okay with Green Stuff and 50:50 Apoxie Sculpt/Green Stuff but I think Vaseline is too thick for the amount of detail on the forest pad and it is hard to not get so much on that it obscures the detail.

The Apoxie Sculpt stuck even with Vaseline and cracked in places when pressed into the mold.

Next time I am going to try putting Olive Oil in an atomizer instead of Vaseline.

I still have Yellow-Grey, Silver-Grey, & Superfine White Milliput to try as well.

I took a picture of the bases I made before.

img_0145_corrections_cropped_resized_650

I ordered an atomizer that can handle oil and I am going to make more when it gets here.

• Like 4

I had a bunch of putty made up tonight (finished off some green stuff) and decided to try the mix of green stuff and epoxy sculpt. After done with what I originally made the putty for I went ahead and tried it with the Basius 2 pads

Here are some stamps from the Dungeon and Victoriana.

The bottom left is actually a stamp from a coin from the Legendary Coins KS as I think it's an awesome occultic symbol for a base.

post-7987-0-35226100-1452401726_thumb.jpeg

ETA:

I stuck the putty onto wooden 1 inch disks and squares and then before stamping I lightly coated the putty with vaseline, pushed down hard and then pulled up the base carefully so that it'd not get stretched out.

You can see I got a little better as I kept working with it, my first ones (at the top) were a bit sloppier and I'll need to trim the putty off around the edges when the putty cures, which is no big deal. I really like the mix of green stuff/apoxy sculpt for this process!

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
  • Like 9