Basius & Basius 2 Stamp Pads Bases and Terrain

ub3r_n3rd

I really liked my own results that I achieved with the 1:1 GS:Apoxy Sculpt. Didn't crack, very good details, and good texture after drying.

I know you made yours with leftovers from another project.

That means your mix was likely more setup than mine when you made your bases.

Maybe that made a difference in our results.

Edited by arclance

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really liked my own results that I achieved with the 1:1 GS:Apoxy Sculpt. Didn't crack, very good details, and good texture after drying.

I know you made yours with leftovers from another project.

That means your mix was likely more setup than mine when you made your bases.

Maybe that made a difference in our results.

Yeah it was probably 30 mins old or so having cured a tad bit. Good point on that, something for people to keep in mind.

• Like 2

Looking at the side of "Part B" the working timeline says

30 mins, sticky and most adhesive

1-2 hours Easy to work with

2-3 hours setting up, formable detail

So doing them with Apoxie Sculpt only, I would guess mix it, let it sit for 2.5 hours while doing other things, and then do the bases with it.

Not sure what the GS timeline is, and how the 2 would interface....

George

Here are the pictures I took of the pads I made with different materials.

100% Green Stuff

img_0180_corrections_cropped_resized_524

2:1 Green Stuff/Apoxie Sculpt

img_0185_corrections_cropped_resized_520

1:1 Green Stuff/Apoxie Sculpt | Used Immediately

img_0192_corrections_cropped_resized_521

1:1 Green Stuff/Apoxie Sculpt | Used After 1 Hour

img_0219_corrections_cropped_resized_503

1:2 Green Stuff/Apoxie Sculpt

img_0195_corrections_cropped_resized_522

100% Apoxie Sculpt | Used Immediately

img_0145_corrections_cropped_as_only_res

100% Apoxie Sculpt | Used After 2.5 Hours

img_0215_corrections_cropped_resized_522

Yellow-Grey Milliput

img_0199_corrections_cropped_resized_517

Silver-Grey Milliput

img_0205_corrections_cropped_resized_520

Superfine White Milliput

img_0209_corrections_cropped_resized_519

Yesterday I made a pad with Apoxie Sculpt where I let it cure for 2.5 hours before making the pad.

It turned out much better than when I did not let it cure some first.

The cracking looks to be limited to the area where the extra squeezed out the side and it stuck much less than before.

I also tried waiting 1 hour before using a 1:1 Green Stuff/Apoxie Sculpt mix yesterday.

After examining the picture I think it worked better than last time (the gutter in particular looks very good) but it is very smeared in some areas which may be due to me needing to practice removing the base from the pad more.

This one also had less sticking issues than when I used this mix immediately before.

Theses are my notes on how they turned out which I posted before these pictures.

I made bases using Green Stuff, 2:1 Green Stuff/Apoxie Sculpt, 1:1 Green Stuff/Apoxie Sculpt, 1:2 Green Stuff/Apoxie Sculpt, Yellow-Grey Milliput, Silver-Grey Milliput, & Superfine White Milliput today.

I used a disposable glue brush to apply Olive Oil as a release agent to the Basius pad and lump of putty on the base.

They are still too soft to wash the Olive Oil off right now so pictures will have to wait until Monday since I have the Marvel Superheros game I am in to go to tomorrow.

The Straight Green Stuff, 2:1 Green Stuff/Apoxie Sculpt, and Yellow-Grey Milliput produced the best results.

Straight Green Stuff and 2:1 Green Stuff/Apoxie Sculpt produced basically identical levels of detail but the 2:1 Green Stuff/Apoxie Sculpt released from the mold better and is slightly cheaper.

Yellow-Grey Milliput did not come out with quite as good detail but released without issue unlike some of the other things I tried.

1:1 Green Stuff/Apoxie Sculpt did not produce detail as good as the last three and sticks a little in fine details but would be a good option for wargame armies where large numbers of acceptable detail bases at a lower cost might be worth the slight loss of detail.

1:2 Green Stuff/Apoxie Sculpt and Silver-Grey Milliput stuck to a unacceptable degree and the level of detail suffered as a result.

The Silver-Grey Milliput took a particulary long time (~20 minutes) to clean the remains off of the Basius pad afterwards.

Superfine White Milliput stuck a little (not as much as the Silver-Grey Milliput) but had cracking and crumbling problems similar to the Straight Apoxie Sculpt base I made before.

I found that when making bases with deep impressions on them (like the fallen logs side of the forest pad) they come out better if you fill the impression with a separate piece of putty before pressing the base down to make sure the hole is completely filled.

Edited by arclance
  • Like 7

Thank you for all this experimentation! I'm going to be putting my own pads to use soon, it'll be nice to not have to redo all your trial and error on my own. ::):

From my tests and others posted in this thread this is what I can tell works well with Basius pads.

Everything but ProCreate seems to work best with a non-water release agent like Olive Oil or Vaseline.

Of the ones I tried 2:1 Green Stuff/Apoxie Sculpt was the easiest to work with and left the least residue on the pad that must cleaned off before it cures completely.

100% Apoxie Sculpt and Yellow-Grey Milliput are easiest to clean off the pad because they can be thinned by water.

100% Green Stuff

2:1 Green Stuff/Apoxie Sculpt

1:1 Green Stuff/Apoxie Sculpt | Let Cure for 30 to 60 min before making base

100% Apoxie Sculpt | Let cure for 2 to 2.5 hours before making base

Yellow-Grey Milliput

ProCreate | Water as a release agent

I have heard of people using Sculpey but there was not much detail on the process and since that is a heat set product I would like to hear more from someone who has used it on a Basius pad.

Edited by arclance
  • Like 3

I have been thinking of getting Super Sculpy Firm to try since it is supposed to hold detail better and is ~$10 a pound.

I don't know if Firm is too firm and maybe Medium would be better for this.

I tried to do some research on using it in molds before buying it and found that.

Edited by arclance
  • Like 1

I have been thinking of getting Super Sculpy Firm to try since it is supposed to hold detail better and is ~$10 a pound.

I don't know if Firm is too firm and maybe Medium would be better for this.

I tried to do some research on using it in molds before buying it and found that.

You can also make the firm less firm by adding regular sculpy to it. I like to do this with my two sculpys so that I can get the perfect firmness to allow me to sculpt into it better.

• Like 1

I've used the regular Sculpey on the Basius pads, and they worked well enough. I haven't tried the freezer trick: I'll have to try it.

I was inspired to try by James Wappel's blog post on using Sculpey with the Happy Seppuku pads. Essentially the same process except removal was a touch trickier with the hard pad.

Ron