TheAuldGrump

Kings of War

I'm curious about the game. I've got a buttload of ogres from GW, WOW minis and other sources that I'd like to do something with.

The nice thing is that you can download the free rules and give them a spin. I'm not sure what the ogre army list is like, but the concept is very appealing. Seems like they can dish out a lot of damage.

I looked on their web page for the free rules, but didn't notice them.

http://*www*dot*manticgames*dot*com/free-rules*dot*html

Replace dot with . and remove spaces (spaces have been asterisked*). Not providing direct link as it's part of their webstore and that's against forum rules.

Edited by Brother Jim
  • Like 5

I just got my Undead mega army and booster from the KS.  Previously, I'd replaced a lot of my GW orcs with Mantic's on the theory that painting minis you hate is no kind of hobby.  Oh and Mantic's Fleabags riders are almost too awesome.

Our WHFB group was up to about a dozen each week until AoS came out and now we are lucky to get more than a couple so I think I have a good chance of getting some people to give this a try.   However, I find that one problem is that everyone was playing Warhammer for a different set of reasons and we  were brought together by the fact that WHFB was the default fantasy game.  It'll be hard to get that many people together for any one other game.   I find myself debating whether or not it makes sense to go for unit basing when I just don't know if KoW is going to be popular enough to justify it. 

One thing that I think will be awesome is the upcoming historical book that should make for some cool games of Romans vs. Zombies.  I'm also waiting for the Fantasy version of Lion Rampant for similar stuff on a skirmish scale.  

As a final note: I think Mantic and Reaper make a good team in that Mantic normally does a good job of making your rank and file troops while you can use Reaper's huge selection to add a lot of cool touches.  And when something like Mantic's goblin minis happen, well then you've got Bones!

• Like 4

If I'm not mistaken, the lists that are up are just sample lists. At least they were, they might have put the full lists up now that the book is out.

I just got my Undead mega army and booster from the KS.  Previously, I'd replaced a lot of my GW orcs with Mantic's on the theory that painting minis you hate is no kind of hobby.  Oh and Mantic's Fleabags riders are almost too awesome.

Our WHFB group was up to about a dozen each week until AoS came out and now we are lucky to get more than a couple so I think I have a good chance of getting some people to give this a try.  

*EDIT* Me Post! It done gone *POOF!*

Trying again, down below.

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump

If I'm not mistaken, the lists that are up are just sample lists. At least they were, they might have put the full lists up now that the book is out.

From some of Ronnie's interviews, I think that Mantic's idea is that giving the sample lists so people can try the game for free combined with the low cost of the books is a low enough barrier to entry.

I'm not sure if the lists for WHFB armies are the full lists or not.  You can download the beta versions of those lists in spreadsheet form.

One of the main complaints I see (and one of the few really) is that Kings of War doesn't have the same rich in-game history that Warhammer Fantasy has.  I think it's important to note that Warhammer Fantasy has had several decades to build their narrative, while Kings of War is just now getting established.  If someone brings up that point, ask them how much of that Warhammer fluff was in place back during 2nd/3rd edition WFB.   ::P:

Not only that, but with the upcoming worldwide narrative campaign, KoW players are going to have the opportunity to directly impact the world.  And unlike some other games, I think the players will actually determine what happens with the game's narrative!

• Like 2

Our WHFB group was up to about a dozen each week until AoS came out and now we are lucky to get more than a couple so I think I have a good chance of getting some people to give this a try.   However, I find that one problem is that everyone was playing Warhammer for a different set of reasons and we  were brought together by the fact that WHFB was the default fantasy game.  It'll be hard to get that many people together for any one other game.   I find myself debating whether or not it makes sense to go for unit basing when I just don't know if KoW is going to be popular enough to justify it. 

One thing that I think will be awesome is the upcoming historical book that should make for some cool games of Romans vs. Zombies.  I'm also waiting for the Fantasy version of Lion Rampant for similar stuff on a skirmish scale.  

As a final note: I think Mantic and Reaper make a good team in that Mantic normally does a good job of making your rank and file troops while you can use Reaper's huge selection to add a lot of cool touches.  And when something like Mantic's goblin minis happen, well then you've got Bones!

Wow, I had the entirety of my post, except for the quote, disappear yesterday.....

The thing to do, when trying to get people to try Kings of War, is to tell them to use their Warhammer armies - there is no rule in place that they have to start new armies, if anything, Mantic is putting effort into courting the disgruntled WHFB player with KoW.

If somebody has 1,500 points of Warhammer Goblins then that is an investment of time and effort that can be redirected into a game where they can still use those hordes of gobbos.

Mind you, my group swapped under 8 - we had already left Warhammer when AoS was announced. (WHFB had become to danged random. KoW is much less random, so strategy and tactics matter more.)

The Auld Grump

• Like 3

The thing to do, when trying to get people to try Kings of War, is to tell them to use their Warhammer armies - there is no rule in place that they have to start new armies, if anything, Mantic is putting effort into courting the disgruntled WHFB player with KoW.

If somebody has 1,500 points of Warhammer Goblins then that is an investment of time and effort that can be redirected into a game where they can still use those hordes of gobbos.

Mantic has even been encouraging people to use existing armies, regardless of manufacturer, in their recent videos and blog articles.  If that doesn't make it clear that WFB refugees can use their existing models, I don't know what will.  :lol:

On the second point, one thing that makes me much more excited about Kings of War than I was with Warhammer Fantasy is that all of the armies are viable.  Sure, you could take an all-Goblin force under "Orcs & Goblins" in WFB, but it was an uphill battle to win because the units were designed to be used that way.  Goblins in KoW aren't going to be standing toe-to-toe with elite troops in other armies (at least, not for long), but the entirety of their force is a completely viable option without resorting to allies.

And on that last note, the fact that allies are legitimately balanced and don't require special permission by your opponent to use presents a lot of options with regards to flavor, if not strategic choices.  And that's doubly brilliant, because it serves as an excellent starting point for constructing a new army by using a few allied units as a "gateway" [drug]!   ^_^

• Like 3

I think all the balancing they've done is what gives some people the impression of "sameness" among the different armies. Personally I think an army's identity, if you will, comes from the range of tactical options available to it rather than a host of special rules that don't (IMO) belong in a proper mass battle wargame.

• Like 3

I think all the balancing they've done is what gives some people the impression of "sameness" among the different armies. Personally I think an army's identity, if you will, comes from the range of tactical options available to it rather than a host of special rules that don't (IMO) belong in a proper mass battle wargame.

Some of that 'sameness' is illusory - dwarfs really do not feel like either orcs or undead, in play, as an example. Their ability to shake off Wavering results is very different than the Undead not having a Wavering result at all. The Orcs, with their Crushing Strength plays very differently against Dwarfs than it does against undead.

The armies are different enough that I am fielding multiple armies - Undead, Kingdoms of Men, and Dwarfs are easily the most common of my choices, Orcs are less so, but I am also hearing the siren calls of The Empire of Dust and the Herd insisting that I need more cowbell.

The one thing that I miss about Warhammer is the ability to rally troops. (Working on that... I am dabbling with a series of Event Cards for KoW that allow odd occurrences - a unit getting lost on the road and showing up late - but on a table edge other than the deployment zone; a routed unit rallying, and showing up as the next smaller size unit at the nearest edge; weather making shooting a pain in the butt - things like that.)

If ever I find the time to finish the danged thing, I will submit it to Ironwatch.

The Auld Grump

• Like 5