TheAuldGrump

Kings of War

7 hours ago, Nameless said:

Thank you! Now, let's try to resist the urge to get that mega-deal set....

Resistance is futile... give in to temptation...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No sparring partners here, at least for now... It kinda makes it easier to resist :)

But, that new goblin warband for Vanguard... Maybe I'll start with that, when it's available.

• Like 2

Back before we were married, Grump used the Mantic zombies and ghouls he had painted up for a commission.

Three hundred of them.

His excuse was "How often will I have three hundred zombies to throw into a single encounter?"

Some were fast zombies that we killed while retreating, but the others were slow but kept coming. Pouring around trees, crashing into the river we crossed to get away, but coming until we were too far away.

Seeing three hundred zombies on the table is terrifying! Our only quest that first night was not being eaten.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, PaganMegan said:

Back before we were married, Grump used the Mantic zombies and ghouls he had painted up for a commission.

Three hundred of them.

His excuse was "How often will I have three hundred zombies to throw into a single encounter?"

Some were fast zombies that we killed while retreating, but the others were slow but kept coming. Pouring around trees, crashing into the river we crossed to get away, but coming until we were too far away.

Seeing three hundred zombies on the table is terrifying! Our only quest that first night was not being eaten.

Sheesh, and I thought I had big armies with a couple hundred minis of all types included. I'm not really into zombies and I had trouble a little while ago to scrape up a couple handfuls to paint for games. Can't imagine having that many of the wobbly stinkers.

• Like 2

HE doesn't.

He painted them as a commission for somebody in the army.

I CANNOT picture trying to keep three hundred zeds on an army base.

Unless they're recruits.

• Like 3

I once faced a guy who brought 600 moria goblins to a LotR game. Fully painted. They literally spilled out of the deployment zone. :blink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

En Masse hordes of miniatures can look very impressive.

I only got to use the zombie horde twice before sending on its way to Kansas.

The biggest single commission I ever had - and the scenario I ran was also part of the deal.

This was the same customer I wrote the Orc & Elf War campaign for - orcs and elves vs. humans and dwarfs, circa 1758 or so.... (He had discovered that having your very own campaign, in the army, was a status symbol. I had never pictured army folks playing D&D on base, but apparently it was very much a thing.) Based on the French & Indian War - the orcs weren't the bad guys. And there were no real good guys.

Both the elves and the orcs had a tendency to attack by night - when the humans were pretty much useless - leaving defense to the dwarfs and a scattering of (Lawful Neutral) ogres.

And the humans started off the war by pretty much ticking off every orc that might otherwise have sided with them.

A lot of humans come back from the war with PTSD....

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 2

I already have a decent sized goblin army from GW, Oathmark and Reaper with a few Mantic. They definitely need air support. Not sure when they'll get it but this is pretty likely coming to a basement near me someday.

• Like 2

Yeah... Megan fell in love with that model.

And with the Maw Pup Launcher.

Mantic goblins seem to be picking up a bit of World of Warcraft flavor... from the gnomes? (Gods, I haven't played the original Warcraft games... since before I was married? I wonder if Megan would be up for it....)

The Auld Grump

• Like 2

On 3/8/2019 at 9:04 AM, TheAuldGrump said:

I had never pictured army folks playing D&D on base, but apparently it was very much a thing.)

Yeah, absolutely. I first played D&D (OD&D) at the Rhein Confederation Wargames Society, which was at least partially funded by MWR money and whose monthly meetings rotated between Army and Air Force bases in West Germany.

If you consider the demographics of the military, particularly the enlisted men, it makes sense that both adventure gaming (RPGs, wargames, miniatures, whatever) and computer games would be very popular.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, lowlylowlycook said:

Oh, my!

Oh_my_gobbos.thumb.PNG.91797b3d580278c228744f543ab9ec02.PNG

From Wargame News and Terrain.  Perhaps I should have ordered more gobbos with Bones IV...

@malefactus this looks a bit like something you might like!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Yeah, absolutely. I first played D&D (OD&D) at the Rhein Confederation Wargames Society, which was at least partially funded by MWR money and whose monthly meetings rotated between Army and Air Force bases in West Germany.

If you consider the demographics of the military, particularly the enlisted men, it makes sense that both adventure gaming (RPGs, wargames, miniatures, whatever) and computer games would be very popular.

I knew of a Sergeant in the US Army that would have gaming sessions in the back of an M577 Command Vehicle during exercizes when all the officers went home to their beds (leaving the enlisted & NCOs out in the field). Even described how he could fit a DMG, PHB & dice bag in a rucksack! The M577s were ideal because of the map boards they had...

Damon, has a model of an M577. Now considering showing a bunch of soldiers playing D&D in it...

• Haha 5

On 4/18/2019 at 10:37 AM, lowlylowlycook said:

Oh, my!

Oh_my_gobbos.thumb.PNG.91797b3d580278c228744f543ab9ec02.PNG

From Wargame News and Terrain.  Perhaps I should have ordered more gobbos with Bones IV...

Yea, I've been waiting for these to be released. The whole set is pretty awesome. Too bad that I don't have any money now that they're hitting the shelves next month.

On 4/18/2019 at 11:13 AM, TheAuldGrump said:

Yeah... Megan fell in love with that model.

And with the Maw Pup Launcher.

Mantic goblins seem to be picking up a bit of World of Warcraft flavor... from the gnomes? (Gods, I haven't played the original Warcraft games... since before I was married? I wonder if Megan would be up for it....)

The Auld Grump

In Warcraft 2, the game that introduced the goblins, the goblin units were the Zeppelin and the Sapper with their building being the Goblin Alchemist. In Warcraft 3 they got the Shredder, which was a wood harvesting mech. They were basically the Horde version of Gnomes, just a lot more reckless and haphazard. World of Warcraft made then even more so, but since Warcraft 3 they've been a neutral party in the war that sells to both rather than taking one side.

• Like 2

Heh, supposedly the goblins have hacked the Mantic website. ::P:

I think that they may think that the gobbos are gonna be a big hit. ::): (I know at least two people that play neither KoW nor Vanguard that want some of the goblin releases - both the flying machine and the mawpup launcher - for 40K.)

The Auld Grump

• Like 2