Kings of War

TheAuldGrump

I've been slowly amassing a Dark Elf army to use as a Kings of War/ 9th Age army, and got a friend in it too. Also asked Mantic if they could get my FLGS to stock Mantic Products.

@TheAuldGrump:  Is the miniature of the Elf General playing chess still for sale? I looked at their website and it wasn't available.

Edited by Lord_Ashenwyte

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been slowly amassing a Dark Elf army to use as a Kings of War/ 9th Age army, and got a friend in it too. Also asked Mantic if they could get my FLGS to stock Mantic Products.

@TheAuldGrump:  Is the miniature of the Elf General playing chess still for sale? I looked at their website and it wasn't available.

Are you collecting GW dark elves or something else?

• Like 1

It would appear that the chess elf is a Mantic Points exclusive. That is, you have to collect Mantic Points from packaging and send them in to get it. It's on the website under the "Mantic Points" tab, he's called Thinking Elf.

• Like 2

Yes and no - you can get him using 15 Mantic Points, but I don't think that he is in their general shop.

The Auld Grump - I use him as the elvish ambassador in a Pathfinder game... he is not one of the good guys.

• Like 2

Yes, I'm collecting the older GW dark elves. Mantic elves look too thin, IMO.

Yes, I'm collecting the older GW dark elves. Mantic elves look too thin, IMO.

I like both - and use the Mantic elves for The Shining Host.

GW elves... look a lot like humans wearing prosthetic ears.

Mantic elves look alien.

There is something to be said for both designs.

But it is a lot easier to get Orlando Bloom to wear the prosthetic ears.... (Heading out to see a They Might Be Giants concert... 'cause everybody wants to wear prosthetic foreheads on their real heads....)

The Auld Grump

• Like 4

Love TMBG!

We were unprepared for the number of people that came in costumes - she and i could/should have worn our steampunk garb and still fit right in. :wow:

There was a family of Klingons sitting right in front of us. (Who really were wearing prosthetic foreheads on their real heads.)

This was an early Christmas present for me, that she bought way back in August.

She is not an enormous fan of TMBG, but we had a blast, and she may be softening towards them. (Megan loves punk - it is how I became the lead singer in a short lived punk band. TMBG... is pretty far from punk. (Nerd Core, maybe, but not punk. I live in that strange twilight realm between punk and folk music.))

The Auld Grump

• Like 2

Just got a chance to listen to the latest (and very long) Counter Charge podcast where they go through the forces of Uncharted Empires book.

They go into the Night Stalkers which seem to be nightmare creatures that when the Abyss is strongest can manifest themselves as an army. They talked about using Tyranid models or Gieger's Aliens but the basic idea is they take their form from their victim's imaginations so really anything horror themed could work. They have an interesting rule where they have no inspiring units but instead get it off their enemies inspiring units at a 12" radius. They also have a doppleganger unit that get's it's attack profile from the unit it charged.

On the other hand the Trident Realms seem like an excuse to add this thing to my Bones III pledge.   

12249745_10153244657177957_6696121763745

Third edition of KoW needs subtitles..

Kings of War: Buy all the minis : all of them : yes even that one.

• Like 2

I've played 4 games so far, one was under 1st edition rules, right before the 2nd edition Kickstarter, to see if we thought there was enough there to invest. The other 3 have been extremely satisfying games, smaller in size; all 1500 points or less.

We're having a great time with it. Elegant rules, lots of tactical and strategic depth, movement really matters, creative forces are fun but balanced forces have had the edge so far. In the last game my buddy played a turtled-up dwarf army with heavy war engines and ranged investment, I wiped his first melee unit quickly and took out two organ guns, thought I had really taken a big lead when he then started charging his ranged units in and I realized I had really underestimated their melee capabilities and left myself open to flanks, and had most of my ratkin handed back to me within the next two turns to be reshelved.

So far I've done undead three times, and ratkin once. He's gone Orcs  & goblins, Orcs, Elves, Dwarves. Lots of fun so far. Actually finding myself drafting armies in my downtime.

• Like 5

I've played 4 games so far, one was under 1st edition rules, right before the 2nd edition Kickstarter, to see if we thought there was enough there to invest. The other 3 have been extremely satisfying games, smaller in size; all 1500 points or less.

We're having a great time with it. Elegant rules, lots of tactical and strategic depth, movement really matters, creative forces are fun but balanced forces have had the edge so far. In the last game my buddy played a turtled-up dwarf army with heavy war engines and ranged investment, I wiped his first melee unit quickly and took out two organ guns, thought I had really taken a big lead when he then started charging his ranged units in and I realized I had really underestimated their melee capabilities and left myself open to flanks, and had most of my ratkin handed back to me within the next two turns to be reshelved.

So far I've done undead three times, and ratkin once. He's gone Orcs  & goblins, Orcs, Elves, Dwarves. Lots of fun so far. Actually finding myself drafting armies in my downtime.

It is amazing to me the number of people that have decided that they really like the game, because they have been badly beaten!

It really helps that we can look back, and see where we made our mistake, and it is a mistake, not just bad rolls. (And the e'er repeated cry - 'My flanks! How could I forget to protect my flanks?!!')

The Auld Grump - it really is a good feeling, too....

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 3

Dai-

For 1500, I fielded a horde of warriors, a regiment of shock and blight, a death engine, 1 artillery, a troop of clawshots, 3 brutes, 1 warlock, 1 assassin, 1 blight lord and 1 mutant rat fiend (plus added some items). It ran well and looked like it was going to survive my opponents heavy ranged output. If I had to do it again I think I would have added a fleabag for my warlock so I could harass his war engines with lightning. I also spent on some options that went unused (wind blast never mattered). I don't think my drafting was too bad, I really got outmaneuvered when I thought I had the game in hand and got cocky.

Rallying seems cool, a compact formation definitely sees a lot of benefit from it.

• Like 1