Sign in to follow this  
TheAuldGrump

Kings of War

I was amused with the reason Ronnie Renton gave for there being a new edition - they have sold out of both the hard and soft covers of 2nd edition.

They already do an annual tournament book tweaking the rules, so they don't have to do a lot of work that hasn't already been done for the annuals.

The cost difference between reprinting 2nd and a new edition is minimal.

So, new edition time.

The Auld Grump

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Yeah, over on Dakka Dakka, Matt Gilbert was quite specific that no armies were going away

The second book is being aimed at only two months after the main book releases.

The main book is 380 pages?!!1!

The Auld Grump - remember when the entirety of the rules, not including army lists, could be printed on a single large page?...

I'm hoping they dedicate some space to expand on some of the more nuanced rule interactions. Something like a TO's quiz book:

I have situation X and situation Y happening at the same time, how do I resolve?

Diagrams

Solution: situation X resolves as normal per page ZZ and blah dee blah blah

Like an old reffing quizlet.

There are a surprising amount of interesting interactions in KoW that get glossed over because the rules are "simple".

I also anticipate this is the edition for the fluff-splosion.

Edited by pinkymadigan
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, pinkymadigan said:

I also anticipate this is the edition for the fluff-splosion.

With the KoW RPG coming as well? Yea, I'm betting there's a lot of fluff in there this time around.

• Like 2

On 7/5/2019 at 3:27 PM, TheAuldGrump said:

The main book is 380 pages?!!1!

Now with added world background and a name that's better than Mantica. Thank goodness. That was a rubbish world name.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Balgin Stondraeg said:

Now with added world background and a name that's better than Mantica. Thank goodness. That was a rubbish world name.

Back when KoW was new, Ronnie Renton complained that they didn't go with his original proposal for the name - Ronnie Rentonia....

The Auld Grump

• Haha 1

On 7/6/2019 at 1:30 PM, Balgin Stondraeg said:

Meh, it could always have been worse.

On 7/7/2019 at 1:47 AM, TheAuldGrump said:

Back when KoW was new, Ronnie Renton complained that they didn't go with his original proposal for the name - Ronnie Rentonia....

The Auld Grump

Case in point...

What's the new name of the world? And is Mantica now just a continent or are they completely erasing it as a name? One of the things I hated about the changes to Warcraft lore was that when they released Warcraft 3 they changed Azeroth from just a kingdom to the name of the whole world. In the original Warcraft the orcs invaded the kingdom of Azeroth, where they won. The people of Azeroth fled north, to Lordaeron, and the orcs followed. Which was when Warcraft 2 happened. The orcs lost and got beat back all the way to the portal, where the alliance invaded the world of Draenor, where they hit a stalemate but closed the portal between worlds. Then in Warcraft 3 they introduced the continent of Kalimdor, and suddenly Azeroth came to refer to the whole world and not just the ruined human kingdom. And that, along with a whole host of other retcons, made me very angry...

Well, that's not too bad then. And since the evil legions will rule the world, led by Mhorgoth the Faceless, it's only fitting that it be named Panthor. I mean Pannithor.

• Like 1

Just got word from Duncan - he and Eric snuck in a game.

Duncan's Brotherhood vs. Eric's ratkin.

Duncan was bragging about how badly he lost.

His big unit of Knights... got flanked by a Legion of Tunnel Slaves. (60 ratkin slaves - Me 5+, De 2+.)

To put it another way, the biggest and least maneuverable unit of the worst warriors in the game managed to sneak up on one of the most elite units in the game....

The Auld Grump

• Haha 2

Have you SEEN Eric's Ratkin lately?

He fills his deployment zone!

Rats, rats, rats, and MORE rats!

He has added a LOT more figures to his army, and needs ALL of them! I think he bought out everybody's Skaven from that boxed set.

23 minutes ago, PaganMegan said:

No Kingdoms of Men in the main book? :blink:

The equivalent of UE is following close behind, and the word is no armies eliminated. 

But yes, it looks like the first book is Mantic's supported mini lines (fair play to Mantic).

Edited by pinkymadigan