djizomdjinn Posted August 20, 2015 Share Posted August 20, 2015 (edited) Table of Highlights The Beginning (Dover start) Percival Start Back from the dead, Percival primed. Dover finished and primed Dover II start Show Off Threads Percival Dover (When I finish the crew!) Dover II (When I finish, whenever that is!) So, while working on painting my Yvette sculpt, I figured I might as well work on the other aspects of the Valkyria Chronicles-inspired fantasy not-WW2 story I've been meaning to sit down and write for a while.Namely, they have a tank. Or rather, an assault gun (turretless tank).I don't think it'd do to just have a WW2 tank, dressed up a bit, though. For one thing, only two countries really fielded them, and they're quite distinctive, at least to history buffs and tank lovers.So, I decided to scratch-build a custom one. How hard can it be? (cough, cough).The first step was to search for a donor tank model kit. It had to be cheap, relatively simple, but not too advanced in terms of era. WW2 tanks, designed, built, and fielded under total war conditions, have a certain brute simplicity to them. I ended up picking up a Tamiya M41 Walker Bulldog. A couple pluses:- Cheap! It's an old 70s kit, so picked it up for $15.- Designed just after WW2, so with some scratch-building it ought to look crude enough to fit in the era.- Simple! Only three sprue trees. One of them is crew, the second is roadwheels.- Though I didn't realize it at the time... the top of the hull comes off and also locks in place! Meaning I can just scratchbuild the top and not worry about the undercarriage.So I opened it up, and assembled the bottom half more or less to instructions... and then started mutilating the top half. The back engine grilles were pretty low. Standard for a modern tank, not inefficient-looking enough for my taste. So I sawed them off, to be remounted higher later... or broken into bitz. Not sure which yet. But to get there, I had to saw off almost the entirety of the sponsons, leaving only the front fenders. That turret ring ever so slightly protrudes over the sponsons, too, meaning I can't just weld a strip of stryene flush along the sides. Might end up making something like the side hatches on an M3 Lee. The front of an M41 has very sloped armor. Again, too advanced looking. Also I was converting it into an assault gun, which meant that the slope was too severe to mount a cannon. So I sawed away the driver's hatch and mounted some styrene to cover it all up. I hope it'll pass for applique armor. I kind of want to evoke a knight's jousting helm with this design, so an angled superstructure will go where the driver's hatch used to be. The cannon is made from some telescoping metal tubes; a short section at the base for the barrel mount, and a short section at the muzzle to thicken the appearance of the barrel. I sand it flush on a whetstone, and mount it on a section of PVC pipe, which will form the structure for the gun mantlet. Edited March 11, 2016 by djizomdjinn 13 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.