Sign in to follow this  
Darsc Zacal

Any Forumites going to Seattles PAX Prime 2015?

Reaper (Ladystorm and ReaperBryan) will be hosting their Paint & Take and store at next weeks (Aug 27-31) PAX Prime in Seattle and I was wondering if any other Forumites would be at the con.

Edited by ladystorm
  • Like 3

When is pax prime? What kind of things happen there? I'm just north of the border, and would love a reason to go to a con, but I have never been.

Meeting some forumites would be quite neat, though intimidating..

When is pax prime? What kind of things happen there? I'm just north of the border, and would love a reason to go to a con, but I have never been.

Meeting some forumites would be quite neat, though intimidating..

PAX runs August 28th through the 31st. Bad news is that if you don't already have a pass, your only option now to get one is to deal with scalpers, which is always a questionable practice, as the show has been sold out for months now.

It's one of the big gaming conventions with a large video game and PC gaming presence. All the big name companies are there with the latest upcoming titles. Plus there's a lot of smaller companies and independents too. In that respect it is much like E3 except PAX is open to the public where as E3 is an industry only show.

WOTC also has a big presence there so there's lots of Dungeons and Dragons and Magic events going on. The Magic World Championship Tournement will be held at PAX this year.

The tabletop gaming presence isn't as big as you'd find at a convention like GenCon, but several companies do have booths and/or host events like Paizo and Cards Against Humanity.

Not a lot of miniature companies at the show, but there have been a few in the past years I've been going.

In addition to Reaper, Soda Pop miniatures has a booth. Privateer Press has a large booth, the Shadows of Brimstone guys were there last year with their minis and game from their kickstarter, one or two other smaller companies too.

Plus there's a great many retailers selling gaming/nerdy/geeky stuff including Chessex with ALL their dice and the bin where you can scoop dice by the mug or by the pitcher.

There's also a fair bit of cosplay going on and panels on various aspects of the gaming community and industry.

Plus there's several concerts that are part of the con that are held in nearby venues.

It really is something to experience at least once. We've nothing like it in Canada. Vancouvers FanExpo is just a drop in a bucket compared to PAX.

EDIT: You shouldn't feel intimidated at meeting other Forumites. I haven't met a lot of folks from the forum but I have met a few and they've all been very friendly and enthusiastic about this hobby of ours.

And the ReaperFolks themselves are a real pleasure to meet and talk with. ::):

• Like 4

I wish. I went to PAX Prime '11 and '12 and thoroughly enjoyed both, but haven't had the spare cash since. Also it's impossible to get tickets. ::(: 

Was just reading the event schedule book from last year's PAX... for the first time.

Turns out these things are handy to read while you're actually AT the convention and not a year later.

I had no idea Patrick Rothfuss had autograph sessions or that there were tabletop game tournaments and free play being hosted at a completely seperate building several blocks away from the convention centre.

When I get this year's event book, I think I'll read it as soon as I can.

• Like 3

Yeah, I highly recommend reading the guide. I found out about a TON of neat stuff that way. ::): I also double-checked the site every morning before leaving the hotel, because I found myself changing plans regularly.

I always say I'm going to look at the guide as soon as I get it. (I'm talking about my experience with gem con) But when I get in on Wednesday I haven't found them so don't know if they put them out, and it's always out Thursday by the time I go look for it, the. Friday I usually forget because I'm so busy, Saturday I finally snag one because they have 15 billion sitting around and I'm like (oh that's useful.) but Saturday in usually gaming non stop until 1-2am. So don't have much time to look at it, until after the con is over.

I really wish they would put more out on Thursday and not save as many for the Saturday only gamers.

• Like 1

I always say I'm going to look at the guide as soon as I get it. (I'm talking about my experience with gem con) But when I get in on Wednesday I haven't found them so don't know if they put them out, and it's always out Thursday by the time I go look for it, the. Friday I usually forget because I'm so busy, Saturday I finally snag one because they have 15 billion sitting around and I'm like (oh that's useful.) but Saturday in usually gaming non stop until 1-2am. So don't have much time to look at it, until after the con is over.

I really wish they would put more out on Thursday and not save as many for the Saturday only gamers.

So you're going?

I was hoping to stop by the paint and take and say hi to folks during my lunch break today, but the pax prime mobile app hates me and keeps crashing.  Where is the paint and take located this year?  Same place as always?

Alison

In case it's not too late for you, here's what they put on FB a little while ago:

We are hosting a paint and take and running a retail booth in Room 303 at PAX Prime, Friday through Monday August 28-31, 2015. Stop on in, say hello...

I was hoping to stop by the paint and take and say hi to folks during my lunch break today, but the pax prime mobile app hates me and keeps crashing. Where is the paint and take located this year? Same place as always?

Alison

Don't know if you already dropped by or not earlier today, but yep, same room on the 3rd floor by the escalators.

RouterMike from the forums dropped by earlier and although I recognized him right away... I couldn't place him. :blush:

Sorry RouterMike.

Didn't manage to get passes this year, I'm not actually sure how people get passes at this point.  Hope it's a great time despite less than stellar weather.  ^_^

There are scalpers selling passes near the main entrance of the convention centre.

The good thing is that PAX has put up signs and have people in place to verify the passes offered by scalpers are legit before you buy.

So if a scalper isn't willing to walk over there...

• Like 1