WIP: Amphisbaena and Plinth for Conan Indegogo

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am currently starting work on a new exciting project for a client of mine. He's allowing me to share my work with you.  I will be sculpting a large plinth with the eye of the serpent gem on top and

Last Big Push   I did a lot in the last few days.  Finished the heads, fit them to the body, added wattles, and some other stuff I can't show right now.  I just sent pictures to my client and just n

Skinning the Column and Adding the Base   I'm going to move away from the step by step here as I do have a deadline and just can't stop to take enough pictures.  These will be more high level steps

Posted Images

I am presuming the tube will remain filled.  Otherwise, there will be a massive void which could potentially cause problems during vulcanization.  The pressure during molding would shove the putty into the void.

Although keeping the tube hollow would allow you to cut the plinth in half and keep the hollow, saving a lot of material cost during casting.

• Like 2

wait- how do you keep it from sticking to the inside of the tube? Thanks for showing this, btw!!

Here I am assuming he's not getting rid of the brass tube. Which had me wondering why to fill it up with putty at all.

I am presuming the tube will remain filled.  Otherwise, there will be a massive void which could potentially cause problems during vulcanization.  The pressure during molding would shove the putty into the void.

Although keeping the tube hollow would allow you to cut the plinth in half and keep the hollow, saving a lot of material cost during casting.

Qwyk is right.  All minis need to have supporting structure, otherwise they break in the molding process.  In this case, the tube is that structure (the rod in the middle is just there to anchor it to the cork).  However, the tube is hollow and one cannot have voids either, so I filled it with putty (note how I used a lot of Apoxie sculpt in the mix to keep the costs down).

Qwyk's idea of cutting it in half to cut down on metal is good, but my client wants a one piece mini.

"Centered on the cork"? I have a feeling this might get turned on a lathe, or similar, at some point.

No lathe; I centered it on the cork for a couple reasons: First, it gives me enough room around it to add putty. Second, It keeps the cork stable when I set it down.  Finally, I spin the mini a lot while sculpting to check everything and if it is centered I can better see irregularities in this case (I guess that part is a bit lathe like, but with my eye as the chisel).

Andy

• Like 8

Qwyk is right.  All minis need to have supporting structure, otherwise they break in the molding process.  In this case, the tube is that structure (the rod in the middle is just there to anchor it to the cork).  However, the tube is hollow and one cannot have voids either, so I filled it with putty (note how I used a lot of Apoxie sculpt in the mix to keep the costs down).

Qwyk's idea of cutting it in half to cut down on metal is good, but my client wants a one piece mini.

See Bob, Bobby and Gene, Bryan and Kevin, I pay attention!  :lol:

• Like 5