WIP: Amphisbaena and Plinth for Conan Indegogo

I hate scales... I really do. I pulled the head off of the Reaper Bones fish priest and replaced it with the head from the tiik baron - which required me to add fish scales all over the head and all down the back... It took me two weeks.  :rolleyes:

Great minds think alike!  I wanted to do that, but have no idea how to sculpt and even less of an idea how to do fish scales.

• Like 2
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am currently starting work on a new exciting project for a client of mine. He's allowing me to share my work with you.  I will be sculpting a large plinth with the eye of the serpent gem on top and

Last Big Push   I did a lot in the last few days.  Finished the heads, fit them to the body, added wattles, and some other stuff I can't show right now.  I just sent pictures to my client and just n

Skinning the Column and Adding the Base   I'm going to move away from the step by step here as I do have a deadline and just can't stop to take enough pictures.  These will be more high level steps

Posted Images

Amazing!  That kind of detail on the scales is crazy in three hours.  I mean I'm sure it feels like a long time and you walk away tied in a pretzel knot, but to me it looks like "Wow, you did that in ONLY three hours?"

Thanks. I guess I am freaking out a bit since I look at the model, add up what I have left and realize I have about 10 more hours of scale work, then the two heads, then the top of the plinth, then another sculpt I cannot disclose (though fairly easy) all by the end of the month.  I'm thinking of taking next Friday and Monday off work just to get two extra sculpting days.

• Like 7

Looking Great!

Question about the way you are doing the scales. It looks like you are 'smoothing' (?) each scale up to a central point. are you adding any more GS to it, or using just what is there? Also, what type of tool are you using to do this?

Thanks

8)

George

• Like 3

You can sculpt an epoxy filled brass tube better than anyone else I know. Fantastic work.

Thank you.  Next, I am thinking of sculpting that most classic of adventuring equipment, the 10' pole.

This would be better with a halfling on the end......

Fantastic work on this one. Having a Amphisbaena mini in production will be handy.

• Like 3

Looking Great!
Question about the way you are doing the scales. It looks like you are 'smoothing' (?) each scale up to a central point. are you adding any more GS to it, or using just what is there? Also, what type of tool are you using to do this?

Thanks

8)
George

I'm just pulling the putty out and inward on each of the four sides of each scale to form the pyramid. No putty added other than the original 1mm sheet. The time consuming part is whenever you pull one side of each scale you distort the others a bit so you need to continually go back over each side of each scale using successively lighter touches until each looks right. I probably touch each side of each scale about 5 times or more. I'm using my small metal leaf-blade for this, plus a few other metal tools that curve to get into the hard to reach areas.

• Like 3

Looking Great!

Thanks

8)

George

I'm just pulling the putty out and inward on each of the four sides of each scale to form the pyramid.  No putty added other than the original 1mm sheet.  The time consuming part is whenever you pull one side of each scale you distort the others a bit so you need to continually go back over each side of each scale using successively lighter touches until each looks right. I probably touch each side of each scale about 5 times or more. I'm using my small metal leaf-blade for this, plus a few other metal tools that curve to get into the hard to reach areas.

I had the feeling that was the case. Sounds like loads of fun....

But the results justify the labor!

8)

George

• Like 2

(It took about 3 hours to sculpt the body scales you see here. :rolleyes: )

I would actually consider that quick :P This is a very useful thread. More informative than some tutorials where you just see the pros pushing putty around with out knowing the actual thought process. Thank you for sharing :)

• Like 3

More Scale Work

I continue to add scales.

post-140-0-89539100-1443193335.jpg

post-140-0-49735400-1443193336.jpg

post-140-0-98984000-1443193336.jpg

Eye of the Serpent Armature

I created an armature for the Eye of the Serpent statue and gem that will go on top of the plinth.

post-140-0-39897900-1443193337.jpg

I'll likely have more shots later.  My deadline is coming fast now, and I haven't even stared the heads yet.  I have taken today and Monday off of work to get a couple days alone and to sculpt.  I hope that by the end of the day today I'll have the scales done and the head armatures created and roughed in.

Andy

• Like 15

You can sculpt an epoxy filled brass tube better than anyone else I know. Fantastic work.

Thank you.  Next, I am thinking of sculpting that most classic of adventuring equipment, the 10' pole.

This would be better with a halfling on the end......

That would be really fun to sculpt: a barbarian bracing with a 10 foot pole while a halfling on the end is checking for traps.

That's exactly what we used him for!! Evil party time!!

• Like 3

End of Scales and Head Armatures

I finished the body scales and created the armatures for the heads.  Initially the heads had just two horns; then, when cured, I added the other two.  I also underpinned the gem.

post-140-0-45326200-1443240728.jpg

post-140-0-98288500-1443240728.jpg

Have a good night,

Andy

• Like 15