Sign in to follow this  
bandit86

Another Bones painting problem

This was strange, I was painting a recent convertion, I painted on the base coat and the next day I checked it and it was all cracked (much like crackle paint would do) it was on the pants so I am keeping it a s a cracked leather look.

What would cause this to happen?

Well the title did say problem not preamble have no clue what happen there

Edited by bandit86

Did you wash the figure first?  Did you thin your paint with water, or is there already some water in the paint?  I ended up with a cracked look when I used dish detergent to try to fight the Bonesium's hydrophobic properties. 

He was washed, dried, primed and left to sit the area effected was not puttied at all and I most likley used water to thin the paint, never had that effect before Ill post some pictures tommorrow.

I'd give a look at Wren's write-up....Bones: The First Coat is the Difference. Wren is the one who wrote the bones "Learn to Paint Kit" instructions on how to paint bones.

Most of us don't use primer on bones figures, we use one of the Reaper MSP liners (grey, brown, or blue) to "prime" our figures. The liners for some reason stick much better than the paints and don't crack like some of the long drying primers do. 

• Like 2

This was strange, I was painting a recent convertion, I painted on the base coat and the next day I checked it and it was all cracked (much like crackle paint would do) it was on the pants so I am keeping it a s a cracked leather look.

What would cause this to happen?

Well the title did say problem not preamble have no clue what happen there

Edited title to say problem. 

I assume autocorrect goblins got to it.  We blame Buglips for most things.

Ha!  the pants look awesome for the cracks!  I assume you didn't thin the primer with water (my first mistake on Bones, since I like a thin basecoat).  Certain spray primers will misbehave on Bones as well.

I have had some the Reaper MSP HD paints do that to me, specifically the Solid Blue and Goblin Yellow. Even when I thinned them a bit with water, they cracked like that. I still don't know the cause, but I don't use those bottles any more. Looks like you found a way to use it to your advantage.

I have had that happen to me with several reaper paints. After several suggestions, I always give my minis now a quick brush over with a dry clean brush before painting. Since I often paint parts of minis days apart. It helps remove any dust or other particles that might have stuck to the mini.

And the most important part is to shake my paints really really well. I think it is mostly the paints have separated a bit, but my problem paints usually work fine if I shake them for a minute or so.